VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Last week, my video editing software kept crashing and it took me forever to narrow the cause down to some corruption that happened during the transfer from the SD card to the hard drive. I already searched google and didn't find any solid answer. Is there a windows program that can analyze a file, or folder of files to determine if there's any dropped frames or other corruption? Seems like something should exist?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try Virtualdub2
    Video/scan video stream for errors

Will catch some types of corruption, but not dropped/repeated framers
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Checking for dropped frames and corrupt videos was discussed in these threads. These are for specific types of situations, but the concept and difficulty of doing it is the same. It's hard to confirm that something that should be there without another same something to compare it against. In the same way, if the corruption is caused by bad info in the header, you need a known good header to compare against.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/394813-How-to-scan-a-video-file-for-lost-frames-stuttering

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/394482-Checking-for-Damaged-Corrupt-or-the-Integri...es#post2561538
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For large important files I create hash files that sit alongside the file itself that I can double click any time I want and it will check if the file has been altered/changed. I use this http://code.kliu.org/hashcheck/. Unforunately you have to have made the hash file before the corruption took place otherwise it would be useless in determining if it was altered before the hash creation.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Windows will NOT check to make sure that the file written is exactly the same as the source file. So I use Teracopy to transfer just about everything. It can be set as your default file transfer program in windows and has the option to check the file hash of both the source file and the written file. It takes about twice as long to transfer something but I don't have anymore issue of corruption now that I do this.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for replies. I don't think I can use another utility to actually copy the files. I have to use the NLE because it stitches together the .mts files from the video camera where they're in 11GB chunks. I'm trying Vdub to scan the stream for errors. Maybe it will be good enough for now
    Quote Quote