VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm interested in getting new heads for an HR-S5800. Reason is while it doesn't have a TBC et all (dynamic drum system etc...), the transport and electronics on these produced the best image I've seen on some tapes, not so good on others TBH.
    I've stumbled across part PDM2119C on the SM but only found PDM2119A. Could those be the same but different names for different decks ?
    Cheers
    Jose
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    You need to check the service manual, Heads may look exactly the same for some JVC models but they are different in terms of the number of rotary transformers, SP heads, LP heads, HiFi audio, flying erase head, and whether it's dynamic drum or not, also the rotor driver for some models is 7 pins some are 5 pins, one different letter in the model number could change a lot of things.

Even if you get a new head do you have the alignment tape?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nope, I don't have the alignment tape. But I know a still active repair service that used to be the official JVC video repair here, so they probably have it.
    I searched a bit more but was only able to find PDM2119A, so if anyone finds the C version please let me know.
    Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Buying a new video head (if you ever find one) and the cost to replace it will probably be higher than buying a better JVC S-VHS VCR with line TBC, It will be used but there are some that have little use. Don't buy a model with DD system, it is only useful for pause/FF/RW/frame by frame, It has no effect on playback, Those DD systems have plastic gears that are cracking.
    Here is the latest NTSC models that JVC made back then, look for the ones that are not Dynamic Drum and search for them online:
    http://www.us.jvc.com/archive/video/supervhsvcrs/

Edit:
    According to the service manual for the HR-S5800E (I can't find the US version, although I'm not sure if you are in the US) the upper drum assembly PN is PDM2119C, the whole drum assembly PN is PDV2215A, You might be able to find the upper drum assembly but finding the whole drum assembly new in box is like finding Einstein's teeth, glasses and the original copy of his birth certificate all in one box.
    Last edited by dellsam34; 2nd Oct 2019 at 12:35.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Isn't the upper drum what gets worn out ? As long as they're able to replace it I don't care.
    I'm in the Algarve (south of Portugal). I agree with you about getting a newer JVC unit being more economical but it's more a labour of love, I'd hate to throw it away as it's such a cool machine..
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Apparently the lower drum also gets worn from what I've searched...
    Thanks for pointing that out, I probably would've bought just the upper drum had I found one...
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It's not the drum that gets worn so much,it's the little heads that are mounted on the upper drum that wears out.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by JoseD View Post
    Apparently the lower drum also gets worn from what I've searched...
    Thanks for pointing that out, I probably would've bought just the upper drum had I found one...
    The slight wear of the lower drum does not affect the picture quality, the reason I pointed it out is because replacing the whole drum assembly does not require alignment, but replacing the top half will screw up the alignment.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Cool info. By the way, from my never ending searches yesterday I read somewhere (don't know where....) that the lower drum getting worn out could lead to messing the tension, which normally should be progressively higher along the path the tape takes threaded around the heads.. But hey, maybe it depends on the machine. For instance the Panasonic FS200 doesn't even seem to have any lower drum mentioned in the service manual, the upper drum is connected to what they call a "Cylinder C.B.A. shield plate" (whatever that is...)...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I wouldn't worry about the lower drum wear, it is minimum since it's stationary compared to the upper half that spins at 1800 rpm (NTSC), Like I said finding the lower drum brand new is almost a miracle.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I hadn't thought about the wear vs drum speed, but that makes perfect sense and it's great. I just bought two heads for the Panasonic FS200, but I still couldn't find the 5800's anywhere....
    Quote Quote