VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
  1. I'm not at all familiar with HDMI signal and metadata protocols, but wondered about this:

HDTV RF modulators (ATSC/QAM) are available for $250-$350 from Amazon or eBay. Most of these accept an HDMI input signal and suggest the user's game console or camera as the typical video source. Would it be possible to connect one's Roku or other streaming hardware to one of these, couple the modulator's RF into a Dish Hopper DVR, for example (which is equipped to record off-air broadcast channels as well as satellite programming), and record content from Netflix and other streamers? One could record the lower-cost tier streams for later playback and skip through commercials. Would this work?

2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Per forum rules:
    Do NOT talk about copying rented/subscription material
    You are not allowed to rip/copy/record rented video. It includes streaming rented/subscribed video like netflix, itunes, hulu plus, etc.
    ATSC/QAM modulators can process the HDMI output from cameras and some game consoles that don't apply HDCP. However, they won't process the signal from sources like a Roku or a FireTV that always applies HDCP copy-protection to HDMI.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329

3. Okay, gotcha! And my apologies for suggesting anything nefarious; theft of service not anticipated, the extra charge for no commercials is miniscule. I have heard that even OTA broadcast TV includes HDCP on some content.

4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Please do not ask for help on downloading videos from a paid streaming site,this is against form rules,this thread is closed.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.