VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey guys, how are you?
    I've attached a video file on this thread; i want to set the maximum video bitrate for that file. What would be the best option? How can i change that using HandBrake? Also, What other changes would you do?

I wanna convert that file and obtain a .MKV
    I will change the video codec to H.265 (x265)
    I will change the framerate.. i will choose the Constant Framerate option and will set it to 60 FPS

Am i missing anything?What do you think about the video bitrate?
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    don't bother it's low quality to start with. if you want it as a mkv use mkvtoolnix and just re-wrap it.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by VideoLover View Post
    Hey guys, how are you?
    I've attached a video file on this thread; i want to set the maximum video bitrate for that file. What would be the best option? How can i change that using HandBrake? Also, What other changes would you do?

I will change the framerate.. i will choose the Constant Framerate option and will set it to 60 FPS

you should set your expectations, that source is kind of poor to begin with.
    You could run it through MKVtoolnix and set 29.97 FPS.
    Perhaps some light denoising, some deblocking, some sharpness may help. You'll have to try.
    Other may have different idea's
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Originally Posted by VideoLover View Post
    Hey guys, how are you?

you should set your expectations, that source is kind of poor to begin with.
    You could run it through MKVtoolnix and set 29.97 FPS.
    Perhaps some light denoising, some deblocking, some sharpness may help. You'll have to try.
    Other may have different idea's
    Thank you for replying!
    I thought it was possible to improve the quality .
    Why do you think that doing these steps wont improve the quality at all?:
    1. I wanna convert that file and obtain a .MKV
    2. I will change the video codec to H.265 (x265)
    3. I will change the framerate.. i will choose the Constant Framerate option and will set it to 60 FPS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    don't bother it's low quality to start with. if you want it as a mkv use mkvtoolnix and just re-wrap it.
    Hi pal!
    Is not possible to improve the quality by following my steps?Why not?
    Quote Quote  
  6. You can't improve the quality simply by reencoding. No matter how much bitrate you use. Every time you reencode a video with a lossy codec you will get more losses. Depending on what's wrong with a video you might be able to improve the quality with filtering -- noise reduction, deblocking, deringing etc. If you want high quality video record it with high quality to start with.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You can't improve the quality simply by reencoding. No matter how much bitrate you use. Every time you reencode a video with a lossy codec you will get more losses. Depending on what's wrong with a video you might be able to improve the quality with filtering -- noise reduction, deblocking, deringing etc. If you want high quality video record it with high quality to start with.
    Hey dude, thanks for replying!
    Oh, sad to hear that :/.. i thought it was possible. I've never thought about noise reduction, deblocking, deringing. Is it very complicated to do that?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    sorry but the source is already low bitrate and also variable frame rate. no matter what you try it won't get to be "high quality". the best you can do is just put it into an mkv container if that's what is needed and at least it won't get worse...

[Attachment 52494 - Click to enlarge]
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Here's another quality analogy.

What you see in your camera or play in your game is like a sheet of aluminum foil.
    Once it gets recorded, it almost always gets crumpled a bit (lossy compression), to save space where you store it.
    When you play that back without doing anything to the recording, it's like straightening out the sheet - it's flat (-ish) and big again, but it now has minor ripples and irregularities.

You wanna improve that?
    Ok, you are putting the sheet of foil on a "stretcher", and then ironing it (processing, noise reduction, enhancement) But the stretcher is imperfect and pulls too much on one axis and not as much on the other. And the iron is imperfect, because it is too hot and creates burn marks/bubbles/warpage. So certain elements that may to some have improved, to others, has traded one bad thing for another, or to others may have just added more distortions. Then you want to save that...

If you save it flat (uncompressed, or losslessly compressed) and big, it'll at least be what it has been at this stage.
    But if you save using a lossy codec again, - no matter what you have done previously - you are crumpling up the sheet again.

You could be just barely crumpling (visually lossless intermediate), or mild crumpling (high bitrate and/or more efficient codec), or medium crumpling (same bitrate & codec as original lossy), or much crumpling (lower bitrate and/or less efficient codec).

All of those are always adding the subsequent stage of lossy compression & crumples on top of what already exists in the formerly crumpled sheet.

And the more you process (stretch, iron), the more you might appear to be improving one element of the quality, but might be also deteriorating another element, because it's imperfect.
    And the more times you crumple that sheet into a ball, the more quality you've lost that you can't get back.

How do you get a perfect, clean, straight sheet again?
    Well, you either learn from the pros, and get pro equipment (steamrollers, presses) and use appropriate settings, and you work and you work and do multiple minor adjustments to the stretching & ironing over repeated painstaking iterations, while also expecting and countering any of the added distortions that the stretching & ironing might be contributing. And maybe after much time & labor, you get what might be close to pristine looking. But not truly perfectly clean.

Or you learn your lesson from the pros and never crumple up (much?) any future sheets, though that doesn't help the current one.

Or you live with it, and/or just get a new clean sheet down at the store (re-record). Then you'll have to decide how much to crumple that one, depending on where you can store it.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 28th Mar 2020 at 02:19.
    Quote Quote