VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Thread
  1. "thoots" read this post

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=198504&highlight=

It' seem's that pioneer has the same play back problem as Panasonic. I think I know what it is. When there DVD reocorder start to burn they do not burn the very first meg or two leave room to add menu's and put in new info file's. Plus finalizing the disc. So i think every DVD recorder will have some play back problem's. That's why when you burn on the PC it's start to finish. with no stop and go. TMPG author lay's out ever thing to be burn the right way.

I realy have not had it be a big problem the Panasonic DVD have work in my APEX, Sony, JVC, and Pioneer. the play button is little buggy but that no real big deal.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I thought I'd pass on my comments from another thread since more people would see it here. I've also quoted it for those who don't want to go to the original.

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187905&highlight=

I also experienced Tony Tower's situation when I was able to high speed dub 2:06 Hrs on (1) DVD-R in SP mode whereas straight real-time re-dubbing would have required FR mode. And yes, it finalized fine and plays back fine.

I am inclined to now assume that this is because the high speed dub is possibly not limited to the 4 GB limit the real time recordings on the Panasonic are limited to. I assume this is because high speed dubbing copies the file(s) and does not re-encode.

On the dubbing menu, when in XP, SP, LP, EP, or FR mode, the space on disc and time selected (of programs to be dubbed) shows everything in terms of time (2:00, etc). Whereas in high speed mode, these selections are in terms of file size (4409 mb etc). 4409 mb happens to be the space that shows available on a blank DVD-R in high speed mode, too.

This seems a little more reasonable to me than my earlier theory that the file doesn't contain as much data (bitrate) than the original. I do still notice that the peaks are different between the original and the high speed dub, but I guess that's due to differences in where the bit rate is sampled between (2) physically different sources.

Based on the above (and some experimenting I did with other programs on my HD), it appears that you can't get much more than ~2:06-2:07 on a high speed dub in SP mode. I suppose that maybe this might mean that, on average, you can get 1:03 in XP mode, 4:12 in LP, etc.,. Perhaps Tony Tower can tell us what he experienced in his original post in LP mode.

This is something to consider when you expect your final program size to fall within the above limits. It can reduce your re-dub time from ~ 4 hours in LP mode (for ~ 4hrs of program) to about 51 minutes, plus save HD space if you normally use a higher quality speed for the original when planning to re-dub (which is what I do).
    http://<br /> <br /> FYI, I've gotten about ~2:12 minutes on a DVD-R using a highspe...d thoots:grin:

Update: I tried a HS dub using a 2X TDK (Taiwan, not Japan) and it still took ~51 minutes.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thoots, you are simply the best I don't know what I would have done without your tutorial... Thank you from the bottom of my heart. :P
    Quote Quote  
  4. thoots, I just found another use for you great guide. I needed to explain my wife over the phone how to devide program (title) and thanks to you guide I was able to describe her what she can find where and how to do it over the phone Thanks...
    Quote Quote  
  5. "thoots" Needs to work for Panasonic there DVD reocrder would sell alot more sale's people would know what there talking about. Every one at best buy should read this post.
    Quote Quote  

6. Wow, one has to wait a day to post on here. So, I hope you take that as a big compliment that I would register and wait to post to you. Basically right about now I could kiss the ground you walk on for that WONDERFUL guide you wrote!!!! Saved me hours and hours.

Panasonic owes you I think!

AT any rate - I thank you very, very much!

Smiles,

Holly
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have to throw my kudos in as well -- a very nifty guide!

The manual that came with the unit is a bit, well, cumbersome. There is a decent amount of information there, but it is poorly organized and could really use some pictures, examples, etc. Your guide is vastly superior.

To echo the comments of others, I've had very little luck reading 'unfinalized' discs on much of anything other than the panny itself. My DVD-ROM drive can read the DVD-RAM discs, though, so I have taken advantage of this for added flexibility.

This unit does a fairly good job of transcoding from a higher bit-rate to a lower, too. When dubbing, you can create a list of multiple programs you want to dub. If the space required is greater than the available space on a DVD-R, you can select the mode you want it to record in. Alternatively, you can select FR (flexible rate), and it will fiddle with the rate in such a way as to allow all the segments to fit.

A quick note on this. As a test, I fired up Star Wars on my Laser Disc player and recorded it on the Panny. The LD version I used is a three-side version, meaning the LD player had to switch from side A to B, then when B was done, I had to insert a different disc. I recorded this to the HD as one big file. I split the large file into three separate files, removed the side and disc swap blue-screens, and then burned to three separate XP discs. The quality of these discs was quite good -- albeit not as good as a 48-hour duration noise reduction render from TMPG -- and took about as long as the segments themselves were. XP dubbing, even in high speed mode, seems to be a 1:1 (realtime) proposition -- even with 4x media.

I then burned the same three files to a single disc. The movie is 2 hours and 1 minute long. The panny would NOT let me select SP mode -- my source was 1 minute too long! I selected FR mode as an alternative and it burned the three segments on to one DVD-R. The quality was surprisingly good -- almost like it stayed in SP mode the whole way through.

It took about 2 hours to downsample 3 XP segments down to 1 SP segment.

One note -- when you divide a program, the Panny's authoring logic creates these as three separate dvd *titles* not three separate chapters within 1 title. It adds chapter markers every 5 minutes automatically. The three titles are set to play one after another, BUT many, if not most, players pause when switching titles. As such, I recommend dividing only where you really want a separate title entity.

Again, great job on the guide!!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Perro Grande
    XP dubbing, even in high speed mode, seems to be a 1:1 (realtime) proposition -- even with 4x media.

It took about 2 hours to downsample 3 XP segments down to 1 SP segment.
    Short comments...

DMR-E80H wites only in 1x speed => 1 full DVD = 1h. in high-speed dubbing. XP,EP,LP... doesn't matter. full dvd = 1 hour.

Dubbing without hig-speed (downsample) takes same time as movie duration is = realtime.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I THINK THIS THREAD IS THE FINEST GUIDE I HAVE EVER SEEN !!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks a million thoots..
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by louthewiz
    I THINK THIS THREAD IS THE FINEST GUIDE I HAVE EVER SEEN !!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks a million thoots..
    :P
    Quote Quote  
  11. Does anyone know if the DMR-E80 is firmware upgradable? It would be nice to disable MacroVision and CGMR so I can restore my aging (legally purchased) VHS collection. As it is, I may have to opt for a in-line MacroVision but the ones in my price range will noticably degrade quality and the good ones (I believe they are called 'Time Base Correctors') are much too costly.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I have a question? Is there any way to remove markers (chapter points) from a program once you've set them on the HDD. Thoots?...
    I know everyone's said it before, but the manual is terrible.
    Thumbs up again to Thoots for the amazing effort in putting together an easy to follow tutorial.
    By the way, i use to have the E30, and the E80 is far superior.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Burger
    Turn your recorder on and click *display* on your remote and you'll see the menu on your tv screen. Use your arrow key to highlight the *Play* tab, then use the right and bottom arrow to highlight *marker*. To the right of Marker is two groups of numbering. They are the sequential # of markers on your Hard drive (not program #'s). If you highlight the next field where it says 1-10, you can scroll up and down, using the arrows on your remote, to jump to groups of 10 markers. (You'll probably have to keep selecting a few markers to find the one you want to delete). If you wanted to get to marker #55, start by highlighting *1-10*, press your up arrow button 5 times, then press your right arrow button to highlight the #5 within that group of 51-60. Press Play. This will take you to the 55th marker on your hard drive. Keep repeating the steps above until you find the marker you want to delete. When you've found it, press the *cancel* button on your remote. that will remove it......If there's a better way, I haven't found it!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Thanks shutterbug, that's what I was looking for!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Where are you guys setting your 3-D Y/C separation? On or off? By the way, this should be a sticky.
    Quote Quote  
  16. In case anyone hasn't noticed, on the E80 and E100 you can insert markers into a file on the harddrive at any of the fast forward speeds. (This is only applicable if you recorded with the High Speed dub option enabled). That is, start playing, push FF all the way up if you want and use the time display on the Panny box to decide when to insert markers, without stopping, if all you want is to have 10-15 evenly spaced marks to aid in hunting for scenes. If you use the fastest FF speed, on a 2 hour SP recorded movie, you will be able to insert a marker no more often than roughly every ten minutes (the file keeps progressing at FF speed while the marker is being inserted and before control is restored to you).
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    can anyone recommend a software package for editing dvd's which I created on my Panasonic DMR-HS2 ....with seamless picture and sound.....DMR-HS2 does not do both when editing.....appreciate any advice...for desktop editing....
    Quote Quote