VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10
FirstFirst ... 8 9 10
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mdspiro
    I've had my Polaroid DRM-2001G since December 2006, and am generally very happy with it. I got it to mostly to transfer my huge library of video camera tapes to DVD -- so far I've burned about 100 DVDs worth of home videos, the sources being VHS, 8mm, and Hi8 Digital tapes. I'm using DVD+R discs, and am burning at the SP speed (2 hrs per disc). I'm using the YesDVD feature to create the intelligent menus with thumbnails, and to print covers. I actually like that feature! I've also started to burn some discs from shows recorded on the HD for my kids to play in the car DVD player, with great success.

All of a sudden, I'm seeing a problem. When I put a completed DVD into the unit (both commercial DVDs and ones I've burned myself) it is now often not "seeing" the disc at all. It says "Loading", but then nothing happens. No blank screen, no disc menu, nothing. It acts as if I never put a disc in at all. It doesn't happen on every disc -- just certain ones. This sometimes even happens at the end of trying to burn a new disc -- it won't allow me to finalize the disc because it won't even read that there is a disc in there! The same finished discs that won't play on the Polaroid play fine on my other DVD player (a Panasonic unit in another room). Can anyone suggest a remedy? Is there something inside that I should clean or service on the Polariod? HELP!
    I've had similiar problems with my burner. I returned my original unit--to Wally-- when it was as bad as yours and actually swapped out the burners. All was fine for a while. But again today, after burning from HD recently and playing back ok, I tried to play this (DVD-R, not finalized) disk today. It wouldn't load. But after popping disk out and then loading and playing a commercial movie, tried it again and it plays back again!
    mdspiro: how did you solve your problem--if you did, lol??
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The answer is twofold: first of all, I exchanged my problematic Polaroid 2001-G at Walmart for a new one (same model, but a later series serial number). I had already burned over 100 DVD's on the first one, and I think part of the problem was simply that the burner was beginning to fail after my intensive usage. The new one works fine. The second thing I learned is that the Polaroid generally does not like DVD-R media. It will record and play them back (reluctantly, with some features like YesDVD disabled), but the native format for the Polaroid is DVD+R or DVD+RW. I can't prove it, but I believe that forcing my unit to record on DVD-R disks caused damage to the burner. Also -- use high quality media, and not off-brands, or sale items. I learned the hard way that sometimes even well known brands are crap (TDK's stink!). Now I stick to either Sony, or better yet, Taiyo Yuden brand -- which are considered the best media available. You can get them online from Supermediastore.com. Using high quality media reduces the burn failure rate significantly, and they are much more likely to hold up over time.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks mdspiro. I came close to buying some DVD+R a while ago. I will try that now!
    I usually pick up either Sony, Memorex, and have tried Fuji. (Memorex is on sale most frequently lately.) Usually buy on sale from one of the electronics stores (Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.) But it's always DVD-R. That is the format that was designed for my older Pioneer DVR-810H-s. I keep putting off fixing that burner, lol. Thanks again for your advice!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Glad to be of help. You should read up on Blank DVD Media -- I learned that it's not so much the brand name that counts, as the actual "Media ID". Here's a good resource: http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm As a rule of thumb, anything that's on sale at Circuit City, or Best Buy or any of those big box stores is probably garbage. With blank DVD's, it's really true that you get what you pay for.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mdspiro
    Glad to be of help. You should read up on Blank DVD Media -- I learned that it's not so much the brand name that counts, as the actual "Media ID". Here's a good resource: http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm As a rule of thumb, anything that's on sale at Circuit City, or Best Buy or any of those big box stores is probably garbage. With blank DVD's, it's really true that you get what you pay for.
    That is very good advise.
    TY's and Verabiutm are not very expensive if you buy a 100, or more, on the internet.
    Thanks Mike
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I recently purchased the DRM-2001G and appreciate all the great tips provided by this forum!

One issue I've not seen addressed in the test reports is whether or not the TV tuner
    can be set for both channel formats. On mine, it only provides for the standard UHF
    channels but I would prefer it to be able to receive the cable channel scheme. I know
    on most VCRs and TVs I've experienced one can select either format. Has anyone
    advice on this topic?

N7OO
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by n7oo
    I recently purchased the DRM-2001G and appreciate all the great tips provided by this forum!

One issue I've not seen addressed in the test reports is whether or not the TV tuner
    can be set for both channel formats. On mine, it only provides for the standard UHF
    channels but I would prefer it to be able to receive the cable channel scheme. I know
    on most VCRs and TVs I've experienced one can select either format. Has anyone
    advice on this topic?

N7OO
    I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say "it only provides for the standard UHF channels". Do you mean VHF and UHF, like when you only have a regular antenna instead of cable? If you hook up your cable to the input on the back, you simply choose "scan" in the setup menu and the tuner on the DMR-2001G scans for any active channels it detects -- you don't select a type. It will lock in all the cable channels. Now, it is an analogue-only tuner ... if the cable channels you are looking for are digital, you're out of luck. The next generation Polaroid DVR includes a separate digital tuner, but not this one.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    On my unit, SCAN didn't report the cable TV channels. It got the VHF okay but not
    cable channel 74, for instance. Both of my TVs are recent models and they have menu
    settings for either regular or cable.

n7oo
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Guys, I'm at my wits end and am very much in need of some basic help.

I'm not big on technical jargon, so please be easy on me in any response.

All I'm trying to do is hook up my 5.1 from my DRM-2001G to my Prodynamics surround sound, but I'm having a few problems.

As of right now, the only audio I get coming out of the back of the DRM is from the 5.1 red/white buttons on the back labeled R and L. I can't get audio to come out of any of the others. So, I have my choice of hooking up my back speakers, front speakers of center/bass units, but not the three together, or even two for that matter.

I've tried hitting the audio button on the remote to possibly change settings, but all that happens when I hit that button is a small "you can't do that" icon appears at the bottom right portion of the screen.

I've also tried adjusting the audio under the setup menu, but it won't even let me click on the audio button on the menu.

Please help ... Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gesundheit
    Guys, I'm at my wits end and am very much in need of some basic help.

I'm not big on technical jargon, so please be easy on me in any response.

All I'm trying to do is hook up my 5.1 from my DRM-2001G to my Prodynamics surround sound, but I'm having a few problems.

As of right now, the only audio I get coming out of the back of the DRM is from the 5.1 red/white buttons on the back labeled R and L. I can't get audio to come out of any of the others. So, I have my choice of hooking up my back speakers, front speakers of center/bass units, but not the three together, or even two for that matter.

I've tried hitting the audio button on the remote to possibly change settings, but all that happens when I hit that button is a small "you can't do that" icon appears at the bottom right portion of the screen.

I've also tried adjusting the audio under the setup menu, but it won't even let me click on the audio button on the menu.

Please help ... Thanks in advance.

OK, let me add to what I just posted ... Through the timeshift button on the remote, I've been able to adjust the audio settings to 5.1 instead of 2 ch.

That said, I am still getting sound out of one of the outputs on the back of the unit.

What am I missing here?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I finally have enough money to get a new hard drive for my recorder, and I read it has to be IDE. Does it matter what brand? Western Digital? Seagate? Cache? Seek time? Any of that matter?

Thank you.
    Jess
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Seagate 300-320 or Western Digital 250 are recommended.

I think it's IDE/PATA, but open your Polaroid and look at the wire. SATA is totally different than IDE/PATA, easy to spot. If you're unsure, Google image search for help on what these connections look like.

7200rpm with 8MB cache are typical.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok then, thank you very much. So a 500gb is not good for this dvd rec?
    Jess
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    He told you what people are recomending. There have been posts about the 500's not working. Made by people that seem to know.
    Thanks Mike
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh ok then, I hadnt seen msg's about that.

Thank you both.
    Jess
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Excuse me if this function has been addressed. On some movies that were recorded to
    the HD I get this message when attempting to transfer them to DVD:

The space of titles exceed the
    remain space of DVD disk.

If it is explained in the manual then I missed it. I assumed it was referring to trying to
    record a 3 hour movie onto a DVD formatted for 2 hours. I then selected DVD times
    up to 6 hours but still get the same warning. Has anyone experienced this?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry about bumping such an old thread.

Stuck in hotel with a TV that only has the coax connection no cable box. I thought maybe if I had the cable come into the DRM-2001G, and out to TV that I might get something. I tried watching a dvd, but only static on TV. I read through some of the threads and now realize the tuner is anologue only, and therefore now obsolete.

But is there a way that I can get dvd output?
    I also wanted to hook components out from theDRM-2001G to a Tivo series 3. This is the one with cable cards. I know there is no way to record, but have hours and hours of shows I wish to watch. I am stuck for another entire week. The cable stinks.

Thanks

EDIT
    RF modulator-oh well too late
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I want to replace my burner. Is there a DL or Blu-Ray burner that will work? Can I just use any IDE burner?
    XP Pro SP3, Vista Ultimate SP1, BenQ, Plextor Premium, Pioneer 115D, Samsung 202J.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Brain View Post
    Anyone have a problem with the Chapter Editing feature? I recorded a Billy Idol concert on RaveHD and after burning the DVD I edited the chapter marks to have the chapters set at just before the begginning of each song. On the unit it works fine. Each chapter goes to just the begginning of each song but when I play it in my JVC Player it will only recognize the first chapter. I use Verbatim DVD+R media and tried it on several DVDs and the same thing. Even when I just use the 10 minute or whatever auto setting the JVC recognizes the chapters on some discs but not others. Anyone run across this prob?
    Btw, the recording quality on the HDD and the DVD was incredible! So was the concert. I got on my knees and worshipped IDOL.
    Hey Brain, Can you PM me regarding this? Thanks..
    Quote Quote