1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am considering buying a Philips 3575. What would be the drawback be, if any, from buying a '3576'. Someone wrote, in this forun, that the only difference was:

"The only known change in the 3576, released in April 2008, is a black case and new Front-End (FE) Firmware".

What would Front-End Firmware be?

Please advise soon as sources of this unit at a price dry up quickly.

Fritzix[/b]
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did they take these units off the market. Walmart isn't listing the 3575/3576 or the Magnavox H2160 anymore. My friend is interested in buying one.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Why is wabjxo deleting all his posts?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Why is wabjxo deleting all his posts?
    I was going to ask the same question.
    IBUYPOWER I7 16GB, Ebuntu 16 system, Pioneer DVR-520H, Pioneer DVR-225, Phillips DVR-3567H, Teac replacement drives for DVR-107xa
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DarrellS
    Did they take these units off the market. Walmart isn't listing the 3575/3576 or the Magnavox H2160 anymore. My friend is interested in buying one.
    wabjxo sold all the online stock and almost all of the in-store stock. Probably some remaining in-store stock.....your friend will have to search for one.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What discs are you guys using? My friend bought some Memorex 8X DVD+RW's and the 3576 gave a recording error, cannot record on this disc.
    Quote Quote  
  10. The "improved front end firmware" of the Phillips 3576 refers to its tuner circuit, which is slightly improved over the 3575. I forget the exact details, but I think this is more of an issue for people trying to pull "boxless" cable using QAM: the 3576 is a little better if you have cable without a decoder box. Its a little better with over-the-air as well, but only for the next couple weeks while we still have both analog and DTV signals cluttering the airwaves. Once broadcasters go completely ATSC next month, the performance difference between the 3575 and 3576 will narrow considerably. If you can get a 3575 at a very steep discount, it is likely a good deal.

Memorex is nicknamed "MemoWRECKS" in two dozen languages worldwide for good reason: its junk media that fails in DVD recorders. Nine out of ten media brands sold in stores now fail in recorders pretty frequently: the discs are really optimized for PC burners instead of the slower, more fragile standalone recorder burners. The only surefire media is 8x which now has to be ordered online: try Taiyo Yuden Premium 8x DVD-R or Verbatim DataLife 8x DVD-R. For R/W, also go with Verbatim whenever possible (Verbatim R/W in stores is OK, but the 16x DVD-R is not as good).
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Verbatim 16X +R made in Taiwan works just fine in the 3576H when doing high speed dubbing. It's the only DVD media sold at retail that I can recommend. It records to -R media in -VR mode (per the manual); not sure about high speed dubbing with -R. High Speed is a relative term......nothing like 12X on a PC.....think about 30 minutes for a full disk which is about 2 hours 10 minutes at SP.

I have dubbed 4 old Imation 4X +RWs with no problems ripping to PC for editing.

The QAM tuner is a real plus for recording on our cable system, as all the analog extended basic channels are available in unencrypted QAM and, with a few exceptions, they are noticably better than their analog twins....even a bit better than analog at it's peak in the late 90's.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply. My friend called me earlier and said he bought more Memorex at Bestbuy but they were 4X discs and said they worked. The 4X TDKs he tried earlier worked also. The manual doesn't list RW higher than 4X and only listed Verbatim and I believe Sony. Was curious to see what other brands of RWs others were using and what speeds.

We were hoping to go the fastest route as possible since he's recording from the HDD on his cable box to RWs and transfering to his PC. I was leery of Memorex also but since he's not backing up whole DVDs to disc and just moving a few clips at a time they shouldn't be a problem.
    Quote Quote  
  13. One of the minor areas where Phillips cut corners is in burning speed from the hard drive, which runs at roughly 4x realtime regardless of media type. Older Pioneers and Panasonics do these "high speed" burns at closer to 8-9x using write-once media, but all recorders slow down with R/W: none of them are speed demons using rewritables. If your friend is trying to do a huge project ASAP, there's a limit to how quickly he can go.

To a certain degree, Phillips/Magnavox recorders prefer + media over - media, so if you don't specifically need the slight compatibility edge of -R on older players you might find more brands of + media will burn well on Phillips/Magnavox machines than -.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    He's getting everything he has recorded off two COX DVRs and putting it in his computer. I've been editing and converting everything to DivX and it's been a sync nightmare . The seperate VOBs are in sync but no matter how I join them, whether by using DVD Decrypter and saving one VOB or joining with VOB2MPG, they get progressively out of sync. Being a Philips, I would've thought you could capture to DivX on data discs but that would've been to easy.

It would've been alot easier to run a long patch cord from the COX box in his living room to the computer room where he has an AIW capture card and captured straight to DivX but he didn't want to go that rout. It would've been even better if COX used a box with firewire.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm a little list on this DVD roecorder. When recording does it record a 16*9 show in a 4*3 image? Then when you play it back you have to zoom the 4*3 just to see the 16*9?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does this DVD recorder record Closed Caption CC?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vatkat234
    Does this DVD recorder record Closed Caption CC?
    Yes, it does record analog closed captions if present.

It will play digital closed captions if present in the program, provided you turn them on in the recorder's menu. I have never tried recording them and have never stumbled upon a program which has digital closed captions and no analog closed captions.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by vatkat234
    I'm a little list on this DVD roecorder. When recording does it record a 16*9 show in a 4*3 image? Then when you play it back you have to zoom the 4*3 just to see the 16*9?
    It depends whether you are recording from its line inputs or its ATSC tuner. From the line inputs, it does the usual letterboxing of 16:9 material into a 4:3 frame, and then you do need to zoom in with your TV which results in an obvious loss of detail. If you are recording an ATSC broadcast from the tuner, depending on the station the recorder will encode the full 16:9 resolution by horizontally squeezing it into the full 4:3 frame of a DVD (just like DVDs made by the Hollywood studios work). If you have the recorder set to display on a 16:9 TV, this operates seamlessly, but any DVDs you make will appear distorted (squeezed horizontally) on older 4:3 CRT televisions. You can fix this by copying the DVD to a PC and using software to add an automated 4:3 "flag", this instructs any player attached to a 4:3 display to letterbox the playback (again, similar to how Hollywood DVDs work).
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by DarrellS
    ...The seperate VOBs are in sync but no matter how I join them, whether by using DVD Decrypter and saving one VOB or joining with VOB2MPG, they get progressively out of sync...
    It is unfortunately true that Funai-based machines like the Phillips and Magnavox are not the best choice if you plan to do elaborate re-authoring or re-encoding of your DVD-Rs. As you've noted, they use the newer "packet VOB" VR system of recording: when finalized, normal playback hardware does not see anything odd in these VR discs but a lot of computer software still can't make heads or tails of it when stripping it for re-purposing. Wabjxo used to have answers stored here on VH for these technical hurdles, but he has "left the building" for reasons known only to him. Anyone here who is having technical issues or has obscure questions about the Phillips 3576 or Magnavox H2160 should look up his sticky thread (under the member name "wajo") at the top of the DVD Recorder forum at AVS, there is no better source of concentrated info on these machines. I believe he includes tips on how to deal with their peculiar VOB structure as one of his topics, so I'd recommend DarrellS take a look and see if there might be a more efficient way to process his Phillips DVDs into DiVX files.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I'm not sure if this addresses the same problem -- but I once had some discs made on a Sony recorder that had synch problems when I imported the VOBs into MPEG Video Wizard. My workaround for this was to use DVD Decrypter and put it in IFO mode and rip maybe 10 - 15 cells at a time from each chapter by putting them into individual folders, overlapping by one or two cells between each folder. I remember playing around with it and thinking that there seemed to be problems once I went over about a gig of video, but as long as I kept it under that for each folder, there were no synch problems and I could join the files in MPEG Video Wizard. It can be time consuming, but it got the job done.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've checked the AVS forum and can't figure anything out from there.

I believe that editing the files on the HDD before dubbing is causing a lot of the problem. I also thought that maybe if he recorded straight to DVD-RW from the Cox box without editing it might help. It would cut down on another step.

If someone could make a guide on how to make each show or each four minute music video a chapter before burning to disc then maybe he could create discs that I could use in IFO mode, split by chapters. I can't find anything on the forum or in the Philips manual on how to do this. Not sure if it would work anyway since DVDDecrypter is having trouble seeing the first VOB.

If he had a guide then it would be a lot easier fore him to learn how to use the recorder correctly.

Being able to hook an external drive up to record to would've been a nice touch so you didn't have to deal with the DVD structure.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, Orsetto, but I have to disagree. My 3576 pretty much records what is broadcast- either from Line 1 or OTA- and plays it back the same way. 16:9 shows play back widescreen, 4:3 with pillar bars. I normally record from a Direct box, but sometimes record off the air with an antenna. I don't think that I've ever had to zoom a show. My Panny, however, won't pass the widescreen flag. That needs some work to make the disc look good. (Please, no flames about Panny's always needing work to look good.)
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by PhoneMatt
    Sorry, Orsetto, but I have to disagree. My 3576 pretty much records what is broadcast- either from Line 1 or OTA- and plays it back the same way. 16:9 shows play back widescreen, 4:3 with pillar bars. I normally record from a Direct box, but sometimes record off the air with an antenna. I don't think that I've ever had to zoom a show. My Panny, however, won't pass the widescreen flag. That needs some work to make the disc look good. (Please, no flames about Panny's always needing work to look good.)
    Some cable/sat boxes output anamorphically (ie, a 16:9 image squeezed into the full 4:3 analog frame) over s-video and composite. Others letterbox 16:9 material into the 4:3 frame. The recorder doesn't know the difference. It just records the image.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I agree, the Philips will record whatever it's fed. If that's a 16:9 image from another DVD player to it's S-video input, it will record that. If it's fed a letter boxed 16:9 image (from a cable box STB) then it will record that (and then require a Zoom by your TV). It's not the Philips fault for the letter boxing, it would look the same way if you ran your STB's S-video output directly to your TV.
    Setting the Wide Screen flag is another thing. If you're TV(or DVD player) doesn't have a way to stretch 4:3 to fill 16:9 screen then you'll be left with a vertically stretched (or horizontally compressed) 16:9 image within a 4:3 frame. Very few DVDRs set the flag, older Toshibas did but not many more. If you only play your discs on 16:9 TVs the flag doesn't really matter. None of my recorded 16:9 DVDs have the flag set and it doesn't worry me in the least.
    Quote Quote