2. Originally Posted by MeekloBraca
    Oh and tell me which is better.
    cap003 is full of macroblocks.
    Quote Quote  
  3. They both look pretty bad.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah actually your right they do. I captured them using Intervideo. But the differences in the screen caps is exactly what I see on the screen, one has a bit of artifacting while the other is dark and dull.
    Quote Quote  
  5. You should use VirtualDubMod for your frame grabs. Media player screen grabs are generally poor quality and may have additional processing (contrast, brightness, color, etc.) going on that affect the image. VirtualDubMod just pulls the raw video frame.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not only that, but VDubMod makes it pretty easy to grab the same frame from each clip for better comparisons.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Good reading ... well ... uh ... I like the Panasonic DMR-EH50 with the 100 GB hard Drive in it.

It's possible to get one on Ebay for around ... $250 bucks

Maybe if Comcast had a decent signal for the shows I like to watch ... I would think about the Pioneer or the JVC.

I didn't get on the JVC bandwagon last year because of the faulty resistors the JVC had in them.

I do have one Pioneer DVD Recorder [Walmart] connected to my sound system ... plus a Panasonic DMR-EH50 and another DMR-EH50 in my bedroom.

Lately Comcast has been putting out a decent signal for Smallville and the other analog signals ... but awhile back ... it was snowy ... and 2 or 3 lines would be rolling up from the bottom to the top ... not good. Signal quality above including CH 66 is clear.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found my answer with DVD Shrink. Very good results. Instead of recording in 4 hour mode on my dvd recorder to record a 2 hour 30 minute program, i record 1 hour 15 minutes a DVDRW in 2 hour mode, twice then combine it with DVD Shrink. The results are much better.

I should post screen shot differences to see maybe a difference. To compare if you looked at the captures I have, instead of those bad looking blocks around the cars and the scrolling scoring, it seems a lot more even across the screen, and personally id rather it more even than have crappy looking cars with a sharp looking track.

Oh and im going to post this in response to another thread in another section, please dont delete it!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    and what?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi jeffshead,
    I think your the best to ask, I've got a sony gx300 and generally its looking good. As it for video transfer I've considered buying a JVC DX10 HD/DVD/video, mainly as it's £199 albit a refurb. Do you think there's any point in changing if I stick to the 1hr and 2hr modes on the sony. Disks are so cheap!
    Cheers
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by StuR
    Hi jeffshead,
    I think your the best to ask, I've got a sony gx300 and generally its looking good. As it for video transfer I've considered buying a JVC DX10 HD/DVD/video, mainly as it's £199 albit a refurb. Do you think there's any point in changing if I stick to the 1hr and 2hr modes on the sony. Disks are so cheap!
    Cheers
    I never used a DX10. It probably has the same circuitry as the DR-M100; if it uses different circuitry, than you can throw my opinion out the window. My PERSONAL choice would be the Sony. After comparing all the stills and the actual video, I found that the JVC did an excellent job of filtering and cleaning up the image and the stills (captured video) looked cleaner with the JVC than any other DVD recorder I tested. But, the images were always too light and many others had the same results. Not too noticeable when viewing the stills; much more noticeable when viewing the actual video. It made the JVC's picture appear to be a little washed out.

I did a series of blind tests. I transferred VHS to DVD using five different recorders. I recorded the same scenes of four different movies and viewed the results on the same player. I always picked the Sony video over the JVC's even though it was not as clean. It just looked more like the original picture. The Toshiba was always my first choice.

It really boils down to personal taste and you are going to have to compare imagery from both. I used the JVC for a while, but got tired of all the extra time it took to tweak the picture with some very expensive equipment. The results were awesome, but I finally settled on the Toshiba RD-XS54. Now, with the Toshiba, I rarely need to adjust the picture and the results are fantastic. Hope this helps.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'll put in my vote for Toshiba too. The JVC was terrible for what I recorded from, Pioneer was OK but kinda grainy, Panasonic was OK but had a compressed look. I can't tell the difference between watching the satellite itself and the Toshiba recordings. Any other recorder I've used I could pretty easily see the difference.
    Quote Quote  
  13. The biggest drawback of Toshiba DVD recorder is none of the no-HD version has miniDV/firewire input. So, if you own a digital camcorder, you need to pay for one that come with HD even you don't need it. $399.00 vs $129.00.
    Quote Quote  
  14. You can pick one up on ebay for $50-150. I got a working one without the remote for $38 total. My One For All 8910 works fine with it. The HD ones have a Matsushita burner, at least the one I got does, far better with RAM than the Toshiba burners.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Cheers jeffshead,
    sounds like you've put some hours in. My main worry with JVC is the glitches they have. My Sony gx300 was only £70 with 12m warranty (no remote but got from ebay £8). So even though sony's do have that drive fault where they stop recognizing disks I've tried to keep the cost to a minimum as they all go in the end.
    Picture quality is also up there at the top, but it seems that JVC fairs better at over 2hr, but like I said I can live with 1-2hr. I've not really read that great reviews for toshiba RW (magazines) but I know this forum speaks well of them. The Sony does have the colour/contrast/brightness adjuster which is interesting, though I don't really use much as after copying I tend to play dvd/video at the same time and press the AV/tv button to compare the copy/origonal. Without ajustment it looks very close - I'm very picky and I've done alot of design with photoshop ect. so have an eye for detail.
    Toshiba, JVC, don't have this feature which can correct an over bright copy. My Philips 3305 over brightened all through the scart which is why I went for this feature, but that was mainly a stupid philips fault.
    I think you get a bit addicted to the search for perfect image quality, even though I had previously used a panasonic VCR to VCR which had the obvious quality drop.
    It sounds like for the time being I can continue coping in the knowledge I'm not wasting my time.

Can anyone suggest the best (that's on a butget!) pass through box to help clean up a flickering VHS tape. I think I'm after a Time Based Controller, but not really sure which to look for if I'm in need. Cheers
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can anyone suggest the best (that's on a butget!) pass through box to help clean up a flickering VHS tape. I think I'm after a Time Based Controller, but not really sure which to look for if I'm in need. Cheers
    I use an AVT-8710.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=276891&is=RE...dedTroughType=

It does a good job for the money. Also has some proc amp adjustments and of course the MV thing. The only glitch I ran into was a checker boarding effect a couple of times. All's you do is make sure the source video is playing and unplug the TBC's power for 20 seconds and plug it back in while it is still connected to the source video signal.

I don't think you can beat it for the price. From what I have seen, you have to go way up the ladder ($$$ or £££ in your case) to get a noticeable difference in PQ. A lot of folks have purchased older commercial units from eBay. I was debating it too, but there were a few posts that stated those units softened the picture slightly and you have to make sure they do not require additional equipment to work.

UPDATE: I forgot to mention; the first place to start is your source video. You need a good playback VCR with good filtering circuitry like the older JVC’s. They stabilize and clean the picture very well. I use a HR-S7600U. I did get that unit from eBay. The HR-S9600, 9800, 9900, 9911, and a couple of other models have the same circuitry called Digipure. Very hard to beat and they go fast on eBay.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks,
    I've had a look at that. I think may be a better VCR would help. I've downloaded a few of the JVC's you mentioned and they have B.E.S.T to improve image. My JVC HR-S5955 has this feature and an 'image stabilizer' which helps abit but can cause a wobble sometimes. The other JVC's do mention a TBC but appantly they can vary in use - the full frame type are rare, I don't think these are. Also they have digital 3d NR.
    I've considered upgrading to a better JVC but have also read the the Panasonic AG-1980 has full TBC, but they may be in the US only (110v).
    The VCR was only £1 so you see I'm trying to keep it cheap!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I hear how great Toshiba is but almost everyone who owns one has complained that it actually enforces the CPRM, whereas the other brands don't. Can anybody confirm that Toshiba works with Dishnet or Directv signals? And is there a Toshiba HDD model with XP+ or something similiar for a 2-pass encoding system?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by strongbad
    I hear how great Toshiba is but almost everyone who owns one has complained that it actually enforces the CPRM, whereas the other brands don't. Can anybody confirm that Toshiba works with Dishnet or Directv signals? And is there a Toshiba HDD model with XP+ or something similiar for a 2-pass encoding system?
    I don't recall if my Toshiba "choked" on DishNetwork or not because I keep a TBC in the loop. A side effect of a TBC (not the ones built into VCR's) is that it will eliminate those types of broadcast issues including MV issues with VHS.

You should have a TBC anyway if you are concerned about the quality of your recordings. DON'T take that to mean it will magically clean up a bad source because it won’t. That's not what it is for. TBC's will reduce or eliminate timing errors present in analog sources such as dropped frames which cause lip-sync issues. Just search this forum for other benefits.

As far as the XP+ 2-pass, I don't know. Standard XP mode is as close to perfection as I need to get. Click on the link below if you want to view one of the Toshiba Owner's Manuals:

http://tacpservice.toshiba.com/ConsumerProductSupport/Manuals/dvdr.asp

By the way, I'm not promoting Toshiba, I just found the RD-XS54 to be the best solution for me. I'm still upset with the manner in which they promote the ability to network the unit. You CANNOT transfer recorded video to a PC via Ethernet. Intentional or not; their ambiguous sales pitch leads you to believe you can.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jeffshead
    You should have a TBC anyway if you are concerned about the quality of your recordings. DON'T take that to mean it will magically clean up a bad source because it won’t. That's not what it is for. TBC's will reduce or eliminate timing errors present in analog sources such as dropped frames which cause lip-sync issues.
    The Toshiba DVD Recorder itself provides excellent TBC/Frame Synchronizer performance. At least my RD-KX50 does. It reduces horizontal jitter errors better than my DataVideo TBC-3000. It does not, however, eliminate MV issues.

Apart from the broadcast/MV issues that you mentioned, is there some other improvement that your AVT-8710 is providing by being in the loop?
    Life is better when you focus on the signals instead of the noise.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davideck
    Apart from the broadcast/MV issues that you mentioned, is there some other improvement that your AVT-8710 is providing by being in the loop?
    Picture jitter and light to dark, dark to light scenes. It also has proc amp features but I don't use them because I have a stand alone. The reason I keep mine in the loop is because I don't want to waste time and wear and tear on the connectors by plugging and unplugging the cables every time I find a source that requires its correction. I know introducing an extra piece of equipment, when it is not needed, does not help, but it's just easier to leave it in the loop and not take a chance on missing the start of an old (can't find anywhere) movie that is being broadcasted on a station that turns on their broadcast flags.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Toshiba's built-in TBC performs as well or better than some stand alone TBC's. Unfortunately, its built-in TBC is useless if you run into MV or if the unit responds to broadcast flags.

I think we touched on this in the forum below:

https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=295571&highlight=

I cannot see any major, adverse effects on PQ caused by the AVT-8710 when playing back a recording made with it in the loop. Sure, if you do a frame capture, you may see some flaws, but 99% of the population will not be able to discern the difference during playback unless they are fanatical about PQ like I was.
    Quote Quote