VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6
FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
Thread
  1. I've had my unit on "power save" mode for awhile now (so it basically resets everytime it starts up). It is stone cold and dark when it is off, and I haven't run into the loading message since then. However, I'm prepared to send mine in to get those resistors replaced if necessary.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I also have had "loading" problems for a few months now. If I kept the unit unplugged until I needed it, I could get a few hours of use before it crapped out again. Just the other day it got worse, would never stop flashing loading no matter how long it was unplugged. I live 5 miles from the service center so I dropped it off. As soon as I told the tech at the counter it was flashing loading he new what it was. He said there was a couple resistors that needed to be replaced along with a software upgrade. He also said that one of the first batches that got shipped had this "loading" bug. so that would explain why everyone isnt having this problem. Ill post again when I get the unit back
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thats what I've been saying all along. I think JVC has noticed that there is a problem and have updated some of the components and software to remedy this issue.

My first JVC had tons of problems but the second one has never given me any problem. I leave it on overnight sometimes and still it works great with no overheating or LOADING messages.

Please keep us up to date on the outcome.
    Do unto others....with a vengeance!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Was your recorder sent to Cypress, CA but repaired in Honolulu ?

My second repair was returned with a $0 invoice from:

JVC Service & Engineering Co. of America
    Division of JVC Americas Corp.
    2969 Mapunapuna Pl. Suite 105
    Honolulu, HI 96819-2000
    Tel: 808-833-5828
    Fax: 808-833-4428

With:

Qty: 2,
    Part No. QRE121J-102Y
    Description: Carbon Resistor

The repair rate indicated would normally be $100/hr.

There's also a little claim at the bottom of the invoice: "All repairs are guaranteed for the period of 90 days on parts and 30 days for labor. If the parts replaced should fail within the warranty period, they will be replaced without charge provided your unit is returned prepaid to this facility."

Stress test your machine within the warantee period!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mine never got hot left on, either. I suppose a big clue is if your unit gets hot under what should be normal circumstances, it is probably those resistors overheating and eventually they fail.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gshelley61
    Mine never got hot left on, either. I suppose a big clue is if your unit gets hot under what should be normal circumstances, it is probably those resistors overheating and eventually they fail.
    I agree, this may also be a way to determine if the recorder is functioning correctly. 8)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The POWER SAVE and heat may also be related. I noticed my machine was cool beforehand, but stone cold with powersave "ON" (which saves power by giving the unit ZERO power when off).
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am also using the Powersave feature, it just might be the difference.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I bought this recorder yesterday and was impressed with the quality, recorded one disc last night and turned it off and unplugged it, now tonight, recording a live program, it cut off and flashed the "loading" message.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As I said in the PM, I would just return it and get a new one. Pay attention to manufacture dates, maybe that has something to do with it. Get a more recent one, not old stock.

It may have also been a weak or unstable antenna signal.
    Quote Quote  
  11. ejk71, this happened to me also on the 1st and 2nd day but has never happened since (a month).
    Quote Quote  
  12. I had my for 3 week and pop up the loading error. There is a JVC serice center in town and
    I took it to them. A week later, I had it back. The paper said replace resistor(s) and reflash.
    That was in Nov. Since then, I have been working and no problem. I have the unit on a UPS and the Powersave feature is off from day one. Have the loading error came back after it was fixed?
    This stuff is hard, why??
    Quote Quote  
  13. I don't know of anyone that had the LOADING problem return after getting repaired.

Anyone else?

Dan Ginnetty
    Quote Quote  
  14. After reading ALOT about DVD Recorders I still want to get the JVC DR-M10S dispite of the "Loading" cuirse because of 2 reasons.

1) The quality of the encodes and 2) It can record from a PC NLE (Print-To-Tape). Knowing the potential problems, am I crazy?

I was thinking, that after getting it I could send it in for repair even if I don't see it so that it would be "fixed" incase I eventually do ever see it (and it is out of warrenty). Then again maybe the new one I purchase will already have the "fix" in it.

Any way to tell of they are fixing the latest stock of these?

Thanks,

-Jason
    Quote Quote  
  15. Mine gave the "Loading problem" for the first 2 days but has been fine ever since - nearly a couple of months.

The only problem I have is when going from my NLE directly to the M10S using the DV input the sync is fractionally off. If I go analog in via a DV to analog converter box the sync is perfect, so I do that instead.

The quality of the encodes is definitely worth a minor issue like this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Jsteehl
    1) The quality of the encodes and 2) It can record from a PC NLE (Print-To-Tape). Knowing the potential problems, am I crazy?

I was thinking, that after getting it I could send it in for repair even if I don't see it so that it would be "fixed" incase I eventually do ever see it (and it is out of warrenty). Then again maybe the new one I purchase will already have the "fix" in it.
    1. Yes, best quality DVD recorder available right now, thanks to JVC DigiPure and LSI chips. Very clean encodes, and can even improve quality from source, unlike others.

2. Yes, can do NLE output into iLINK port (DV/firewire/IEEE1394).

I have had mine since May 2004, one of the very first USA releases. I saw the message once after a 24-hour overuse (overheated, like a VCR), and once on a bad DVD-RW that died. Thankfully, never again. It is power/heat related. I turned on my POWER SAVE just in case. Most "loading" problems were from summer 2004 units, and it's been quiet since. Even then, it was apparently a small numbers of users, which is partly why it took JVC so long to figure out the issue. Chinese resistors were the culprit.
    Quote Quote  
  17. seen 2 versions for sale.

DR-M10SL http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=82-108-006&depa=10
    DR-M10SJ http://plasmacreations.com/customer/product.php?productid=32937

Anywone know the difference? The website that has the J says new.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The reason I'm replying is that I wanted to discuss the experiences that were brought up in this thread with using DVD-RWs with the JVC.
    I'm still a beginner at all this and while reading different threads at the forums I've noticed the big differences in lifespan reported for DVD-RWs. Some people have said they can get only (and feel lucky to manage to get) around 30 uses while others have said they have DVD-RWs that are at least a year or two old and still going strong.

I realize that the quality of the disc is one of the factors, but a current discussion over at avsforum.com about DVD-RAM discs made me wonder if there's another factor involved here in this thread regarding DVD-RWs and the JVC.

When I got to Tom Roper's post on page "2" and Londo's post at the top of page "3" and after I read lordsmurf's two posts (1-Oct22 21:31 and 2-Oct23 21:49 on page "2" of this discussion), I wondered if what Tom Roper and Londo were discussing regarding fragmentation and new data improperly being written over old data is applicable to what's being discussed in this thread regarding the problems people are eventually having with the DVD-RWs they're using with their JVC DR-M10.

And so in that second post of lordsmurf's (the link that I gave up above) when he said "Only have one DVD-RW go "bad", but a computer hard full reformat may give it a second life", I thought that maybe that is possible proof that there is something about what is (or maybe isn't) being done during the way that JVC performs a format (versus how a computer does a format) of a DVD-RW combined with something about how the JVC writes new data over the old data on a DVD-RW that is causing these DVD-RWs to fail earlier than expected.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    JVC does a fast format. Fast format ... PERIOD ... is bad, to some degree. ALL DVD RECORDERS do a fast format. A full one takes about 10-15 minutes (or more). To make phase change media last longer, put it in a PC drive and do full format from time to time. The recorder than adds its folder structure to the disc.

The RAM quality issue is something I cannot put a finger on. DVD-VR is a different format, not suggested for DVD players, as DVD player are DVD-Video format. So, it quickly becomes a moot point, just use DVD-RW.

The RW media, btw, that I had go bad, was not able to be read on the PC either. Much like rechargeable batteries, you have to "refresh" a DVD-RW or DVD+RW from time to time with a full wipe.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    JVC does a fast format. Fast format ... PERIOD ... is bad. ALL DVD RECORDERS do a fast format. A full one takes about 10-15 minutes (or more).

The RAM quality issue is something I cannot put a finger on. DVD-VR is a different format, not suggested for DVD players, as DVD player are DVD-Video format. So, it quickly becomes a moot point, just use DVD-RW.

The RW media, btw, that I had go bad, was not able to be read on the PC either. Much like rechargeable batteries, you have to "refresh" a DVD-RW or DVD+RW from time to time with a full wipe.
    When I read your reply, I think you understood the theory that I was proposing and trying to express -- In bringing up the avsforum discussion about using DVD-RAM, I wasn't trying to start a different discussion about the +'s and -'s of DVD-RAM but rather I was wondering if the points (that I cited in my previous reply) in their situation could be applied to our situation about how the JVC handles and writes and re-writes to DVD-RW and formats and re-formats to DVD-RW and could therefore possibly explain why the DVD-RWs being used on the JVCs aren't living as long as expected.
    I apologize if this has been explained elsewhere (if so, could someone then point out a link to it), but what is a fast format ?
    So when I fill up a DVD-RW with content that I no longer want/need, were you advising to never use the JVC's format function ? If so, what should I do next to make the DVD-RW ready to use again (I haven't filled up a DVD-RW for the first time yet. So do I just tell the JVC to delete the programs or will the JVC just start writing at the beginning of the disc) ?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Deleting is better than formatting, once a disc is formatted it shouldn't need to be formatted again.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ah, ok. I guess back when I first read the manual that all this time I assumed that a format done with a dvd recorder does the equivalent of a format on a hard drive or a floppy disk: during the process all the data gets wiped out whereas deleting a file on a floppy or hard drive just eliminates the reference to it in the FAT. That's why I think I had jumped to the conclusion that formatting with the dvd recorder was better than just deleting through the dvd recorder's menu.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by samijubal
    Deleting is better than formatting, once a disc is formatted it shouldn't need to be formatted again.
    I don't necessarily agree. The phase change process is already written. It cannot be "deleted". That is another way to say "fast erase" by merely dumping the TOC and showing it as open sapce.

If you want to do this, you can.
    UNFINALIZE and then go into NAVIGATOR and delete titles.

Formatting returns the disc to a virgin state.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm sorry, but could you clarify something for me, lordsmurf ?
    You said:
    Formatting returns the disc to a virgin state.
    But earlier you explained:
    JVC does a fast format. Fast format ... PERIOD ... is bad, to some degree. ALL DVD RECORDERS do a fast format. A full one takes about 10-15 minutes (or more). To make phase change media last longer, put it in a PC drive and do full format from time to time. The recorder than adds its folder structure to the disc.

You prefer formatting over deleting, but you appear to be advising doing formating only with a computer and not through the JVC.
    What is the difference between how the two are handling the formatting ?
    And what should the person do who (such as me for the time being) doesn't have a computer dvd writer ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A true full format on the computer wipes out the whole disc. Virgin state.

Other methods wipe out leads and TOC, etc. Fast format. Does not cover all the data. Not virgin.

Does not make a difference, data-wise. But for the disc's longevity, it can make a difference. Longevity also includes the possibility that the disc can develop bad spots on it.

This is the same for hard drives, floppy discs, etc.

You must JVC-format the disc at some point, as it is not REALLY a format, just a quick dirty wipe, and then adds in the DVD-VR folder structure (either truer VR or VIDEO mode, as needed). If it was virgin'd by the computer, it will be clean, JVC doesn't really quick-wipe, just adds the folders.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so my DR-M10 finally got the loading problem as well; I bought it last september - having followed the comments in this forums I took "precautions" like unplugging etc..... but the problem has started
    so this morning I returned it to the shop for "repair"
    that will take some 2 weeks (they return it to JVC)
    I got a 2 years warranty on the JVC and I still have a Panasonic DMR E50 so I don't worry too much
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you, lordsmurf, for explaining that.

Does not make a difference, data-wise. But for the disc's longevity, it can make a difference. Longevity also includes the possibility that the disc can develop bad spots on it.
    But it sounds like the possibility of developing bad spots is offset by the longer life you'd get through a computer format instead of through the other methods.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Because of the problems in this unit, no wonder I nickname JVC today as the "Junkie Video Company." There is nothing good to say about JVC video products as far as reliability.
    Quote Quote  
  29. My LOADING problem seems to be a bit different from everybody else's.
    I have used my device for over a year without any problems, I never even once encountered the Loading message. One day, I was browsing the list of recorded programmes in order to delete some old ones, in the middle of that, the device switched to LOADING. And that's all it has ever done since. As soon as I plug in the power supply, the display shows loading, and I cannot boot up the recorder.
    I have given it uncountable chances to change its mind, must have unplugged and replugged the power supply a few hundred times by now, and also let it plugged in for several days in a row - still only the LOADING flashing. There's nothing else the device wants to do anymore.

I sent the device to the JVC service center, they ask 800$ for the repair. I didn't agree. Is there anything I could do about it myself, to at least temporarily fix the problem so I could burn some of the remaining recordings to disc?
    Quote Quote  
  30. I am not sure if this is of any help to you, but in the process of examining the "normal" loading problem, I discovered that the M10S has a hardware reset chip that is located on the board which is underneath the dvd drive and contains the M10's microcontroller chip.

This hardware reset chip senses the switching +5V power supply. When the supply comes on it causes this chip to reset the cpu which causes the loading message that occurs during the first 40 seconds or so after the unit is plugged in.

I always wondered if this chip could fail or if an undesired change in the +5V supply could retrigger the chip causing the cpu to restart the loading process. Here is an image of the circuit. The reset chip is the BD4727G and the red arrow shows where the +5V enters.

Pin 4 of the BD4727G goes to the /RES line of the cpu.
    Quote Quote