VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. You are using the hack for the first version of the firmware. You need to eject the disc and close the tray. Then press PLAY followed by 00000 for region free or 00001 for R1 or 00002 for R2 etc. You will then see in light blue the words "Set Region Free" appear in the middle top of the screen.

This machine does record both PAL and NTSC and will playback both PAL and NTSC.

You are having trouble playing back PAL as you put it, as your machine is set to R1. It is a region issue not a format issue. When you have applied the remote hack it will then playback.

With regards to your NTSC recording it sounds to me like you live in a PAL country and are attempting to use a PAL based VCR to playback NTSC and record on your CH-DVR 1500. What you will probably find is that NTSC playback on PAL VCR is not actually NTSC. All it does is convert to PAL60 playback. I am not sure if the CH-DVR1500 will record that or not? Also if the source of your NTSC material is an original commercial video cassette it is likely to have macrovision protection anyway. If you can get hold of a true NTSC VCR you will find that you have no problems recording NTSC on the CH-DVR 1500.

The no disc or error messages are common on this recorder. I often get a no disc message on initial startup with a disc in the recorder. All you have to do is press setup twice and the recorder should start to read the disc. The error message is more of a problem but pressing play repeatedly can get it to play the disc.

Hope this response finally resolves these issues for you!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM

Hi!
    Thank ypu VERY, VERY much for your help, it was most helpful!! and sorry for the big delay, I was so busy lately that it ttok me sometime to reply...
    The region free now works perfectly and all region DVDs play just fine!!!
    Yet, the other problem (recording Region 1 videotapes) is not solved, but I will be able to tell in about a month, when I will have received a standard NTSC video which I've purchased.
    What troubles me though is that when I try to record using the S-video cables I DO have a picture, it works fine, but the picture quality is not good. Which means that it reproduces the NTSC system (no frozen picture or distorted sound). But I guess I have to wait until the NTSC video arrives.
    Yes, I live in a PAL country (Greece).
    Well, I'm not trying to record commercial tapes, mainly I'm trying to record material NOT commercially released, in order to create a safer archive of my videos so that they endure the time... decadence that VHS faces!
    I really thank you for all your precious help! I'll get back to it when the NTSC video arrives and let you know the new results!
    All the best
    Dimitris
    Quote Quote  
  3. Is there any remote hack for this player that allows one to copy any DVD or tape regardless of copy protection ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Main review updated with my latest issue....unit appears DEAD! Or is it something to do with me unplugging the unit with a DVD+RW disk inside? Seems others have had a similar problem, but I really think my internal DVD+RW IDE drive is DEAD. Does anyone have a phone number for Cyberhome Tech support for the US? I could not find it on their website.
    Quote Quote  
  5. hey, I bought this unit from Walmart. I love it. One day it getting error said NO DISC but disc is in it. I wonder could it cause this because it was very hot inside??? Let me know thanks
    Quote Quote  
  6. My unit and the disks were always pretty hot when recording. This could cause problems after months of use. I noticed some black residue on the top of my cover when I removed it initially. This tells me something was getting pretty hot.

Cyberhome sales forwarded my email to support and they contacted me on Monday morning and generated the RMA. My unit is on the way back to Cali for replacement. However, b/c I'm outside the 90 day P&L warranty, I had to pay $89.95 to have the unit replaced. I'm not to happy about that, but I guess it's better than paying $250 for a new one (although I'd probably go Lite-On if I had to buy another).

My suggestion? Buy the EXTENDED warranty when you buy a DVD recorder. You can usually get 2 years for $40, which in my case, would have paid for itself 2x over.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My drive runs hot too.

After reading the first update, I removed the top cover and now I find the disk is too warm but NOT hot after recording or editing it.

The heat problem seems to be caused by a solid steel platform the drive sits on.
    The platform blocks the cool air comming in from the vent holes below it.

I just installed an 80mm computer case fan (purple LEDed).
    Next, I'll cover some of the vents to optimize the air flow.
    If the disk is still too hot, I'll probably drill large holes in the platform so the cool air can hit the drive.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by zleepy
    My drive runs hot too.

After reading the first update, I removed the top cover and now I find the disk is too warm but NOT hot after recording or editing it.

The heat problem seems to be caused by a solid steel platform the drive sits on.
    The platform blocks the cool air comming in from the vent holes below it.

I just installed an 80mm computer case fan (purple LEDed).
    Next, I'll cover some of the vents to optimize the air flow.
    If the disk is still too hot, I'll probably drill large holes in the platform so the cool air can hit the drive.
    Having just exchanged my first unit (March 31) that died for another (April 10) and since their are no security seals on the screws, only green sealer inside the unit on screws, I'm running it with the cover off.
    If you don't want to do that power off the unit with the switch on the back. The one that died was still warm over the power supply even after being off 18 hours. The power supply is still running of course when the unit is off or the clock wouldn't display the time. Settings seem to be retained since t hey are battery backed up with a battery on the Mainboard.

What a difference in heat!

I'm tempted to just leave it like that and see what happens in terms of durability.

WARNING!!!! Don't do the cover off if you have kids around. I got some good tingles off of the innards when I was using my digital temerature probe (My Finger in other words) to see how hot things were running with the cover off.

I'm on my second disk in a row, the drive is only lukewarm, the other innards are cool. If it was a heat problem killed my first unit, My suspicion anyway, Then this will cure that. I don't want to mod teh case with fan(s) so I can run with the cover on at least until the 90 day walmart return and/or the 90 warranty runs out.

Hopefully this helps someone.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  9. zleepy, my feeling is that the drive isn't too hot with the cover off, however it could run cooler if it had a cooling fan in it like some brand name drives do.

For those that don't want to open the case, burn one disk an evening, power off with the AC switch on the back let it cool down between burns I noticed that the first disk is a lot cooler than the second disk.

TTFN
    Quote Quote  
  10. I have the LiteOn 5001 unit, and I am running it with a modified cover (extruded steel that I custom fit as a cover) which is HIGHLY effective for cooling that unit. The LiteOn came with NO vents of any kind, so it was a real improvement.

I ask this question to you all with the Cyberhome. My LiteOn has a LiteOn 411s drive in it, so I purchased a spare 411s drive to use in my PC. When I hook up the PC 411 drive to the standalone, it functions just like the internal. I am curious if the Cyberhome has a standard PC drive, and whether anyone knows what make it is, or has anyone tried a standard PC drive on the end of it's IDE cable. I would be very curious.

LiteOn unit doesn't have the 30 minute OTR function, and has fewer quality levels than the Cyberhome, so I am considering "upgrading" to this unit. Therefor another question comes to mind. I am able to easily "edit disk" in DVDMF 2, as the LiteOn produces MPEG-1 audio, rather than AC3. I haven't had any error issues, or trouble importing any disks onto the PC for editing. Do any of you edit using DVD Movie Factory? Also, has the latest firmware corrected the low audio with the built-in tuner? Is the tuner Stereo/SAP capable? Does the timer allow for Mon-Fri records, or only once, weekly, everyday records?

Your responses are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

TJD
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by tjdmobile
    LiteOn unit doesn't have the 30 minute OTR function
    Wasn't this added in new firmware ???
    Quote Quote  
  12. We are all still waiting for the firmware that will introduce this much needed feature. Was supposed to be out last month...

-TJD
    Quote Quote  
  13. Does anyone know how to switch the clock on the player to 12 hour time? It's on 24 hour time, but I cannot seem to change it. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by tjdmobile
    I have the LiteOn 5001 unit, and I am running it with a modified cover (extruded steel that I custom fit as a cover) which is HIGHLY effective for cooling that unit. The LiteOn came with NO vents of any kind, so it was a real improvement.

I ask this question to you all with the Cyberhome. My LiteOn has a LiteOn 411s drive in it, so I purchased a spare 411s drive to use in my PC. When I hook up the PC 411 drive to the standalone, it functions just like the internal. I am curious if the Cyberhome has a standard PC drive, and whether anyone knows what make it is, or has anyone tried a standard PC drive on the end of it's IDE cable. I would be very curious.

LiteOn unit doesn't have the 30 minute OTR function, and has fewer quality levels than the Cyberhome, so I am considering "upgrading" to this unit. Therefor another question comes to mind. I am able to easily "edit disk" in DVDMF 2, as the LiteOn produces MPEG-1 audio, rather than AC3. I haven't had any error issues, or trouble importing any disks onto the PC for editing. Do any of you edit using DVD Movie Factory? Also, has the latest firmware corrected the low audio with the built-in tuner? Is the tuner Stereo/SAP capable? Does the timer allow for Mon-Fri records, or only once, weekly, everyday records?

Your responses are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

TJD
    Just saw your post tonght.

Drive is CIS Technology Model DX042D in my recorder.

However as near as I can tell there are two different versions of these units around that have the same model number.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  15. this Cyberhome unit has recently been selling for as little as $229. Avoid this product!!!!! mine froze and discontinued functioning soon after the 90 warranty expired. this unit overheats, has format errors, and is built from cheap components. customer service does not respond either to email or by phone.... after seeing how prevalent these problems are with Cyberhome, i only have 3 words for you cyber-smuck guys for selling this crap.... "class action lawsuit."[/b]
    Quote Quote  
  16. I bought my CyberHome 1500 back in March and it died two weeks ago (ugh, only 5 months use). The symptom was similar to what I've seen a couple others post: the display shows 'CyberHome' and no functions work at all.

The problem was the power supply board. The 12V line was putting out 13.5V and the 5V line was 4.5V; apparently this is not enough to get the DVD drive to start spinning (my first check was to hook the DVD drive to the ATX supply on my computer to see if it would spin-up ... it did).

Fortunately, I was able to wire a standard computer ATX supply in its place. The mainboard power connector (PS1) has the pinout printed on the board (though the wire colors do not correspond to the ATX standard). I lost the front panel display because it requires a 25VDC line (from the original supply) in order to function. But, it's not really needed.

OTHER DETAILS: I ended up using a 'micro ATX' power supply (because I had bought a couple for cheap, and they're much smaller than a normal ATX supply). I bought an ATX interface connector and pins, cut the mainboard power cable at the old power supply and wired it appropriately. Pin#13 on the mainboard connector (PS1) was labeled 'PW_CL' which, initially, gave me some trouble (didn't match any label for the ATX supply). Apparently, it was a line back to the old supply telling it to turn on (with an active HI, 5V). It wasn't needed so, I didn't connect it to the new ATX supply. The ATX supply has a similar line (PS_ON) but, it is 'active LO' ... I tied this line to a GND wire so that the supply would power up when the main switch was flipped.

Take care.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I've updated the first post to include the return to repair/exchange option offered by Cyberhome:

http://www.cyberhome.com/recorders_special_offer.asp

If you own a CyberHome DVD Recorder and have experienced certain problems, you may be eligible for special repair or replacement options.

What specific models and problems does this offer apply to?

This offer applies to the following problems occurring with CH-DVR 1500/2500 DVD Recorders:

Disc tray will not open.
    Front Display reads "CYBERHOME" and the unit is frozen and does not respond.
    Unit is frozen or will not power on.
    Displays "NO DISC" when a DVD or compatible DVD Recordable Disc is inserted.
    Unable to Play any discs or Record to compatible discs.
    Unable to finalize compatible DVD+R discs.

What if my warranty has expired?

Repair or Replacement is free. CyberHome will accept returns of all units affected by the problems listed above, regardless of warranty status, and all repair fees will be waived. This includes units that are out of the normal warranty period.

The customer is responsible for shipping cost to the Service Center, and CyberHome will cover return shipping to the customer.

What does this offer exclude?

This offer does not cover units damaged by: misuse, abuse, negligence, modification or unauthorized repair.

What are my options?

Customers who meet the criteria listed above may choose from the following options for repair or replacement:

Option 1: REPAIR

Your unit will be repaired free of charge, regardless of warranty status. Only shipping fees to CyberHome will apply. The customer is responsible for shipping cost to the Service Center, and CyberHome will cover return shipping to the customer.

If you select this option, you must request an RMA (Return Material Authorization) Number from CyberHome before returning your product. All returns must have a valid RMA Number shown clearly on the OUTSIDE of the packaging, and include a copy of the Proof of Purchase.

Option 2: REPLACEMENT

Your unit will be replaced free of charge with a new CH-DVR 1530 DVD Recorder. The CH-DVR 1530 is a new model with similar specifications to the CH-DVR 1500/2500 recorders. For details, see the DVD Recorders Comparison Chart page with links to Specifications and User Manuals for both models.

If you select this option, you must request an RMA (Return Material Authorization) Number from CyberHome before returning your product. All returns must have a valid RMA Number shown clearly on the OUTSIDE of the packaging, and include a copy of the Proof of Purchase.

Quote Quote  
  18. FWIW (Knock wood!) Mine is still working fine. I suspect a heat issue as the first one died very quickly and always ran hot. This one from april 10th 2004 has always had the cover off and runs cool, the drive gets warm in use and the disks slightly warm, the unit I ran with the cover on they were hot when removed.

I suspected back in April that it was heat issue and still believe so. The record quality is good, it does the job I bought it for, It's paid for , blah, blah, blah, etc.

If I were buying now I'd probably take a chance on the ILO with a HD, back then HD equipped were to expensive for me.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  19. just picked one of these up p a former display model that had never been plugged in. case has a few scratches but otherwise it seems to work fine.
    Its a January 2005 unit - according to the lable on the back. And so far it
    seems to work quite nicely.

Idid however notice one issue - sometimes when i'm recording (HQ mode onto Soney DVD+RW 4X disks - it appears as though theres some kind
    ghost overlay in the upper left corner that almost looks like a the Cyberhome welcome screen, whenever i cap from VHS to the CH1500
    Its not there all the time and seems to mostly turn up tword the end of the VOB files the ch1500 creates.

I'll try and grab some screencaps of the effect when i get a chance.

- Will.

I
    Quote Quote  
  20. Hah. oh man, if it didnt paint me as stupid this would have made my day.
    Turns out its some kind of media player issue. what i was doing was transfering the vobs off the disk to my drive and editing them in Womble
    Mpeg Editor, then checking them in Media Player classic.
    turns out its some kind of display issue and the ghost ids actually a scruntched up and moved to the left top corner image of the main image.

ehem.... nothing to see here.

- Will.
    As an aside this, a lot of TARGET's and WALLMARTS are slowly getting rid of their old stock so its amazing what you can find cheep on clearance backcaps in these stores
    this unit was about 50% off the 179 retail price (although it didnt come with a remote or the extras...) and it works very well.
    Quote Quote  
  21. You still might want to remove the cover, they run very hot with the cover on. Mine is still running fine since I replaced the first one under the Walmart defective exchange. I also turn off the AC power switch on the back. Even when off the unit is warm from the standbye power useage. If you feel yours you'll see what I mean. If they'd put some colling slots and a fan in these units they'd have had a real winner.

Cheers
    Quote Quote