VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Which type of standalone DVD Recorder do you own?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. Hey Gil T Pleasure, do you live in San Francisco? That guy leaping out of his seat looks very familiar....
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by JohnnyCNote
    do you live in San Francisco? That guy leaping out of his seat looks very familiar....
    He is the "little man." The SF Chronicle uses him as rating guide ( 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 star equivalent)

Originally Posted by chas0039
    Keep in mind as you look at the data that many of us may have purchased based on factors other than the re-record capability. I chose Panasonic for many reasons, none of which were the DVD-RAM capability. Had they offered an identical model with ANY RW choice I would have snatched it up.
    So true. The biggest thing going for the Panasonic models right now is the built-in HDD. Without it, I wonder how many people would still recommend them over the other brands/formats?
    Quote Quote  
  3. kidkurrupt
    The 4X Sony and Memorex +R discs, after finalized, play in all my DVD players without any problem. They are Hitachi, Sampo, Panasonic, Citizen, Electrohome and Shinco.
    Memorex +RW without finalizing can play in my newer cheap Citizen and Electrohome DVD players only.
    I haven't try HP +R disc yet.
    Did you finalize you +R disc? Or may be you should check your DVD player against the DVD player compatibility list to your left.
    Quote Quote  
  4. JohnnyCNote wrote:
    do you live in San Francisco? That guy leaping out of his seat looks very familiar....

He is the "little man." The SF Chronicle uses him as rating guide ( 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 star equivalent)

chas0039 wrote:
    Keep in mind as you look at the data that many of us may have purchased based on factors other than the re-record capability. I chose Panasonic for many reasons, none of which were the DVD-RAM capability. Had they offered an identical model with ANY RW choice I would have snatched it up.

So true. The biggest thing going for the Panasonic models right now is the built-in HDD. Without it, I wonder how many people would still recommend them over the other brands/formats?
    I would still recommend with out a HDD reason they have less problem's then other brand's. Some brand's are having over heat problem's. Sony has burning problem's. Some people can not even burn DVD+RW on there sony any more.
    Quote Quote  
  5. iview:

When recording a dvd on the daytek, have you noticed a slight change in brightness every once in a while? It looks like it's possibly not filtering out all of the macrovision.
    Quote Quote  
  6. kidkurrupt

I have not run into this problem, they all turn out fine. May be you can try another DVD or try different cables to double check, and if it's still the same, then something must be wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  7. hey..
    i have a phillips dvdr 75 standalone and its ok...i bought it about a year ago...it doesnt transfer old vhs tapes very well at all....almost everytime i try it, it comes out with some kind of macrovision brightness/darkness problems.
    and im talking about video tapes of my band and very good qualuity.

it is great for copying directly off of a camcorder but it was originally advertised as a great tool for transferring old tapes to dvd.
    it sucks for that.

booo phillips dvdr75.
    Quote Quote  
  8. i own the panny dmr-hs2 deck-- ehh kind of decent but i still see all sorts of little artifacts here and there that my cpature card does not. I have never really noticed the black level bug either. In a nutshell i have quite a number of complaints about the machine as far as quality goes and making disc not even break 4 gigs. But considering i bought it maybe 1-2 years ago it was good enough. As always you know much better decks are on the horizon.

Hey Fulci
    perhaps your panny deck was in error. the TBC in this one works great (well good) and i have not run into the issues you have had with it ( i daisy chain into my capture card, although now im getting lazier and doing 2 ram disc and edit with mpeg2vcr then re-burn)

I edit with 2 rams for one film because of the machines no larger then 4gigs deal. You can make the bitrate/picture that much better if it did this (larger then 4 gigs) and thats why i use 2 ram disc and merge/edit later--WOOOO
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have two Panasonic DMR-E50's.
    Quote Quote  
  10. TOSHIBA D-R2. Great unit & Great customer service!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the Panasonic DMR-E50 and I love it !
    It records DVD-R And DVD-RAM. I wish it would record DVD-RW also, or instead of the DVD-RAM because none of the several DVD Players 'have tested was able to play the DVD-RAM disc but they do play DVD-RW.
    Ana C Costa
    Rio de Janeiro
    Brazil
    Quote Quote  
  12. I have a Philips DVDR75...verry happy with it.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Panasonic DMR-E10 first Panasonic made, still works like day 1. I use it in the bedroom to play RAMs on, don't use it to record. JVC DR-M10S my record unit, have to have something to do DVD-Rs on that also does RAM, the E10 only does RAM.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Daytek DVR P30 (oem Liteon 5001). I record only using the 1hr and 2 hr modes. I use it mainly to transfer video from tape or from the seperate HDef PVR source recorded on the HDrive to DVD+RW (unfornutely not in HiDef... 8) nor DD5.1) then to PC to edit and finalize on DVD+/- media. I dont know if all Liteon 500x series have fans, but mine Daytek definitely do have a fan, u can hear it when ur up close to it. The only probm seems that the tray loading is a little flimsy, its not as smooth as other DVD players that I have. Never use the built in tuner to record and its only mono from the tuner, prefer to use the HiDef PVR to record TV.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I`ve got LiteOn 5005.
    June manufacture, so no 3hr/macro hack yet (still waitin`)...

But...did get it region hacked, and just ordered a TBC (AVT-8710)...
    So life is still Good!...

The Devil`s always.....in the Details!
    Quote Quote  
  16. I just got a Philips DVDR70 which uses the + format (either R or RW disks) I also have Sky+ and using them both together I have had great results. I record from Sky+ to disk then Clonedvd to rip to my hard drive then I use TMPGenc DVD author to remove any adverts and add chapters and menus etc. Great for any sports events
    Quote Quote  
  17. Well, it has been a year since I created this poll and it looks like we have a tie between DVD+R/RW and DVD-R/RAM.

Should I create a new poll? I'm sure the 16 people who voted "none" have one by now. What do you think?
    When you feel that nobody loves you, nobody cares for you, everyone is ignoring you, and people are jealous of you, you should really ask yourself... Am I TOO sexy?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've been using a Pioneer 210s for 6 months or so and just bought a Pioneer 420H-s with an 80gig hard drive (for storage and editing). Both machines have been flawless so far and are a true joy to own. Both machines record DVD-R, DVD-RW. Also, they both have the option to record in VR mode (for editing) with an RW disc. Editing is well thought out, and a breeze! The best feature by far is the manual (VBR) bit rate selection.

I popped the hood on the 420H-s and saw a Pioneer 107 and a Maxtor HDD. Does anyone know how the hard drive is formatted or if I can replaced it with another HDD if the need arises?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Panasonic DMR-HS2 and E80H.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Epicurus8a
    I popped the hood on the 420H-s and saw a Pioneer 107 and a Maxtor HDD. Does anyone know how the hard drive is formatted or if I can replaced it with another HDD if the need arises?
    These DVD recorders use a special HDD that is incompatable with a computer.

- John "Fulcilives" Coleman

P.S.
    I just got a new MEDION computer that has an OEM Pioneer that only does up to 8x DVD-R burning but does DVD+R DL although I haven't tried that yet ... only had it 5 days now.
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  21. I just got a Sony rdrhx900. I love what this thing can do. it has a HD and dual format. I have been recording and editing with it and works very well for my needs. I wanted to get away from doing firewire on the pc. It just didn't have the quality in my opinion as the hardware based solution.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Some other questions for a poll:
    Do you sometimes transfer the video from the DVD Recorder to edit on your computer?
    Does your DVD Recorder have a built-in hard drive?
    Are you using your DVD Recorder to copy video tapes and laserdiscs?
    If your DVD Recorder has an iLink/Firewire port do you ever use it?
    What new feature will cause you to replace your DVD Recorder:
    a) dual-layer media burning
    b) High Definition recording
    c) Direct file transfer of MPEGs to and from a computer
    d) Divx recording and playback

What else might be interesting to know from among this user base?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Mark me down for "None"

I'd like to get one with a hard drive to record college football games. Then edit out commercials. Man, it looks like these things have a lot of problems. Thanks for all the info.
    Don't call me a moron, after all I can count to four because I play the drums.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by drumdad
    Mark me down for "None"

I'd like to get one with a hard drive to record college football games. Then edit out commercials. Man, it looks like these things have a lot of problems. Thanks for all the info.
    Really? I can do just that with my Pioneer DVR-510H-S and can't recall a single problem I've encountered. In fact, it seems really easy. I must be lucky, huh?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Pioneer DVR 220. Been too busy between regular work, remodeling the house, and my video security business to be able to do any work on the computer. Bought the 220 for the wife and daughter to transfer all our VHS tapes over to DVD. Been using it for over a month and it's working great.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What no DVD-VR option? I've got the wonderful Pioneer DVR-320. it records to DVD-R, DVD-RW, and DVD-VR. -VR is a 'packet' format which allows you some Tivo-like watch-while-recording functionality. Great machine. Top quality picture.
    Quote Quote  
  27. e30 for almost 2 years, works great.

BTW why not just read:
    290 Desktop DVD Recorders and 1232 user comments in the list.

https://www.videohelp.com/dvdrecorders
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by Frobozz
    Mark me down for "None"

Really? I can do just that with my Pioneer DVR-510H-S and can't recall a single problem I've encountered. In fact, it seems really easy. I must be lucky, huh?
    Wow, why the heavy sarcasm? My post was a response to the original poll.
    There are many posts on this forum where people are dealing with problematic units. I'm new here and still weighing my options on what to buy.
    Don't call me a moron, after all I can count to four because I play the drums.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a JVC dr-mh30s. Very fast for uploading tapes and i've been very happy with the picture quality.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow, why the heavy sarcasm? My post was a response to the original poll.
    There are many posts on this forum where people are dealing with problematic units. I'm new here and still weighing my options on what to buy.
    I apologize for the sarcasm. Good luck in your search. There are some good models out there.
    Quote Quote