VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What response do you get when you try and open it? Have u got PowerDVD by the way?
    Quote Quote  
  2. What's the verdict so far on this unit? I'm curious because it would seem that capturing in XP mode to the HDD, then dubbing to DVD-R (or DVD-RW) using the 2-pass encoding would produce better results than recording directly to a disc in a longer mode like SP or FR... which is what I am doing with my DR-M10. I'm trying to determine if it would be worth it to step up to the DR-MH30 to get this 2-pass encoding feature.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The verdict on this unit is that it does what I want more or less which is records movies in VR and DVD mode with 5 different quality controls. I find using EP or even FR gives out good enough quality without using too much of my HARD DRIVE. The cons are for some unknown reason occasionally I don't know if it's a heating problem it will switch off and you'll get "LOADING" which if you are in the middle of editing can be quite annoying. I never feel the need to use XP besides it uses too much disc or harddrive and I can't see that much difference in quality and also as I am capturing from TV or old videos I need to use the edit for commercials etc.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Can't you capture in XP on the hard drive and then transcode (dub) to a smaller file size to disc?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Can anyone explain how unwanted scenes within a title on the HDD are deleted on this DR-MH30S?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You need to select EDIT using your control then CREATE and each time you want to stop the scene let's say for adverts you press the ENTER key until you reach the end of your movie then once satisfied save it as a playlist giving it a name if you so desire and an index thumbnail so you know what it is all about. Any excess you don't want on the end you just delete selecting the DELETE option found under EDIT.

You can also jump backwards and forwards using the jump option f (default set at 15 mins) or using the FF/RW keys.

Once you've created the playlist however do not delete the original until you have it saved somewhere otherwise you will lose the playlist too. I hope that helps
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I have been getting small problems sometimes it just shuts off for no apparent reason and you the word LOADING appears. A few times when weird things have happened I've had to pull out the plug as shutting it down hasn't been enough. Yesterday I recorded something on its HD and deleted a program next to it and then it disappeared and would only appear as a thumbnail on top of another programme I'd previously recorded. Only when I pulled out the plug all was solved. I've done all my videos on it though about 100. It edits reasonably well obviously not as good as a computer but until I buy a drive dvd- compatible for my xp I guess I'll have to do my editing using my dvd recorder. The end result is although this is infrequent if it continues I'll have to take it back and get something better. It cost £520 and has 160GB and you can stretch the HD with quality settings. I'd let to hear your translation jac12
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by gshelley61
    Can't you capture in XP on the hard drive and then transcode (dub) to a smaller file size to disc?
    Can anyone answer this question above? Very interested in this unit.
    Quote Quote  
  9. The new $800 Sony unit can capture to the hard drive in a very high quality XP+ mode (15Mbps), then does a type of 2-pass VBR re-encoding to write to discs. That's cool.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    so can my JVC DVD Recorder it has an XP option which you can capture in. I don't really use it cos I am not sure what it's for I think it means something like Exceptional Quality as it is at the top of the list. XP SP LP EP FR I generally capture in EP or FR depending. By the way I spoke to the manufacturers about my "LOADING" problem and they said they were aware of it and now had a modification for it so I have sent it back and awaiting for its return
    Quote Quote  
  11. Did they happen to mention what the mod was? I think someone posted that it is a couple of resistors or something like that...
    Quote Quote  
  12. Does anyone have a performance review on the new JVC DR-MH30S recorder
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by gshelley61
    Did they happen to mention what the mod was? I think someone posted that it is a couple of resistors or something like that...
    gshelley61, let me first say that it is a pleasure reading your post. Lordsmurf and you have provided so much info for everyone. It is amazing some of the info that you guys have provided, thank you.

I was so exited when this JVC recorder was coming out cause I knew what the non HD version could do. I still think I am going to purchase the JVC non HD version at some time. It's coming way down on price and that's usually when I take a bite. It's starting not to sound good for the HD version. I don't know if I would want mine physically modified. I have been leaning torwards the Sony HD version becuase I own the RDR-GX300 and it has paid off handsomely. Plus I can't stand RAM. I am very close to purchasing the Sony. I just have to get the final approval from the wife.
    Quote Quote  
  14. No need for applause, just send money... :P
    Quote Quote  
  15. "tommyoz" You might want to think agaiin about the Sony dvd recorder. I know you have one, but alot of people have had problems with them. Alot of Sony DVD burners died in about six months. I know you do not like DVD-RAM but once you try its very good. Just cut and paste your file when you bring it to the PC. The one good thing about VRO file format. When you edit on the deck there is only one MPEG 2 file on the VRO format. SO it deletes the commercials but you still have one file. I have a old Sony DVD player and I record LaserDisc all the time. I just delete the flipping when I have to change my LaserDisc from side A to D. And by delete the flip there is still only one VRO file and when I use TMPG and burn it to DVD-R these disc have no problem.

When I use MPEG2VCR and do a video cut and take the file bck together my SOny DVD player and my Dads DVD player have lock ups with Video cuts.

Plus DVD-RAM can be used as a small hard drive I find it to be a plus. I once had a very bad hard drive crash.

If I was you I would wait to see if there are any problems with this Sony recorder you want. You mght want to look at Pioneer as well but there not good for VHS.

Also this is also a great site for DVD recorder info alot of people fromt this site hang out here to

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=106
    Quote Quote  
  16. Just found this post about the sony DVd recorder

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=463155

Please take in consideration that, as being discussed in other forums (namely AVFORUM), Sony HX-900 and HX-1000 don't have this 2 features (for european market, but i would suspect the same is true for US market):

- Divide title function on HDD
    - Flexible recording (control the recording quality by bit rate or by duration - time)

These are considered major week points for these recorders.

The firts means that if you do a recording of a 2 hrs program in HQ mode (1 hr / DVD), just because you want the best quality for this in particular, you can not copy half to one DVD and the other half to other DVD !

The second means that if you intend to record a show that has 2h01m you have to use LP mode (3 hrs mode) wich actually shouldn't give you a very nice Picture Quality !

Both these are merely examples. It's the same principle for all the other recording modes.

Hope that helps
    Quote Quote  
  17. Since the sony DVD recorder is said not to have "Divide title function on HDD" This unit would not work out for me at all. I record shows from the same channel, and then divide them up make a file for each of them. And if there a hlaf houor show I wait six weeks before I burn a DVD-R that these show are recorded in SP mode. So the Divide feature is a plus have to have it. And FR mode Also having FR mode is a plus I just recorded Return of the Jedi from laser Disc and its a 2 hours and 13 minute movie I just sent FR moode for 2 hours and 13 minutes and now do not have to pick LP mode. I really thing Panasonic is the bet when it comes to hard drive DVD recorders. Second best is Pioneer the only thing I do not like about Pioneer is that the have a lip sync problem with old VHS tapes that having some problems. Panasonic does not have thing problem they put a TBC in there DVD reocorders.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Also found this info

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=463155&perpage=20&pagenumber=2

Luc48

quote:Originally posted by ltw
    I confirm that you can't split a title over multiple disks. However I for one would never do this if it meant that I had to break out of a movie to change disks. Having to do that went out the window when laserdiscs died, IMHO. If you need to do this, wait for dual layer players instead.
    ltw

Looking at the manual you can do this. Create a playlist title and choose divide title. Then in title list switch from original to playlist and choose dub from sub-menu. Wouldn't that work?

One thing I didn't understand in the manual how to set in and out points precisely. It says use forward and backward to choose. Can you also use pause and frame advance to choose these points?

POST #31 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Benfica is offline Old Post 11-08-04 05:09 PM
    Click Here to See the Profile for Benfica Click here to Send Benfica a Private Message Find more posts by Benfica Add Benfica to your buddy list Visit this user's gallery. Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
    Benfica

Well, looking at the manual you can do this on DVD-RW in VR mode only ! You can NOT do it on HDD, or when dubbing to a DVD-/+R.

So, you would have to dub first do DVD-RW, divide and then dub back to HDD and then finally to DVD-/+R.

The problem is still the same. If you want to divide a title (at HQ) that is about 2hrs length you simply can NOT ! (you can not put 2 hrs at HQ quality in a DVD-RW)

Hope that helps.

Best regards
    Quote Quote  
  19. spiderman2k1, hey thanks for all that info. It would take days before I can read through all that but I appreciate it.

Not having FR mode can be a drag. The other feature of divide title on HD probably won't apply to me. Unfortunately there doesn't seam to be a machine that can do it all. That's why we choose stuff to fit our needs.

For me bottom line is I want one with an HD.

1. Panasonic piss me off that they don't include DVD-RW. No one will ever convince me that DVD-Ram is better than DVD-RW. I have tried it and it sucks (my opinion). I have a DMR65 and I use DVD-Ram only to record shows that I know I don't want to keep. Just record and erase, record and erase.

2. Pioneer is ok, I have a 320s without a HD at least they include DVD-RW. I also like the fact that you can use the firewire port as an in and out. You never know when you might need to use that.

3. The Sony RDR-GX300 is my favorite. Records to all formats and great quality.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    spiderman,

gshelley in a post above said that the new Sony 900/1000 unit can record at a high bitrate, then perform a 2 pass VBR re-encode to fit the disk size.

But that does raise some other questions, like if you have a 4 hour movie in one file, can you determine trim points, cut & edit points and then enocode half (2 hours) the file to DVD-R. Then repeat that process on the second half of the 4-hour file on another disk.

EDIT:
    From reading that thread on AVS forum, it seems you can record at high bitrate (HQ+ mode), but if your movie is say 2hours 15 minutes, you can re-encode using the formats that Sony provides, ie. 2 hour or 3 hour mode. So the re-encode is not a FR-type mode. Not good.
    Quote Quote  
  21. "tommyoz" I can tell you why I like DVD-RAM and how it works for me. I also have a LG DVD burner that reads DVD-RAM so i just bring the DVD-RAM to the PC and go to the removable hard drive that DVD-RAM become when you install the LG drivers. So i just cut and paste. I also download software on the PC right to DVD-RAM. I find this alot safer then downloading to my hard drive and then having a crash and my drives go down. Also when my E80 has a 80gig hard drive fills up from time to time I use DVD-RAM to record. Burn some DVD-R then take the DVD-RAM and do a high speed dub back to the E80 no recoding.

I can see from your point of view that you do not like it but if you get the LG dvd burner. Its a great format. I had a hard drive was I to ge the pioneer 510 reaso i did not get the Pioneer 510 some said that only the XP one hour mode was good. But then any other uses have said that Pioneer is great. Some people see thing different then others. I have heard people with both owning Panasonic and Pioneer say that one is better then the other. So I might have been happy with the Pioneer 510. But I do know Pioneer 510 has problems with old VHS tapes
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by spiderman2k1
    "tommyoz" I can tell you why I like DVD-RAM and how it works for me. I also have a LG DVD burner that reads DVD-RAM so i just bring the DVD-RAM to the PC and go to the removable hard drive that DVD-RAM become when you install the LG drivers. So i just cut and paste.
    You forgot to mention how long it takes to copy the Vro file to the hard drive. That's good that you have found many uses with the DVD-Ram. Like I said I found 1 use for myself.

I also have a LG super multi burner. I bought it when I got the Panasonic standalone recorder. It just didn't cut it for me.
    Quote Quote  
  23. "tommyoz" I would then stick with the JVC after it being fixed. The divide really does come in nice when you record TV shows back to back I record two hours or three hours of shows for my self and divide them up. So when I burn a disc I can burn a disc with all those shows. Also one thing I do like about the divide feature is that I can edit my shows now and bring them to the PC and put them on dual layer disc. I have not gotten a Dual layer burners yet. I'm waitting for DVD-R DL to come out. Just some thing to think about.

This is a new unit that just came out might want to take a look at it

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=453176

http://www.ilohelp.com/download1.htm
    Quote Quote  
  24. spiderman2k1, There are so may ways you can go with DVD recording. It's just a matter of what's right for you. Basically, I think of a standalone recorder as just a capture device. I bring all my products that I want to keep to my PC and finish them up. I have a DL recorder and have been recording on DL for some time. I just wish the price will come down sooner. There are always ways around a machine not having certain features. Like they say, "you can't have everything, where would you put it" a quote from Steven Wright.
    Quote Quote  
  25. "tommyoz" The price I really do not think will come down until DVD-R DL comes out. Alot fo people do not want to upgrade then upgrade again for a new burner a second time. For me I'm waitting until DVD-R DL comes out these burners will burn both DVD+R and DVD-R DL. Who knows there might be a firmware upgrade to flash the DVD+R DL burners to burn DVD-R DL. Plus when dual layer DVD home recorders come out the price will drop even more.

Plus Blue Layer recorders are being worked on right now. But who knows when these are really coming out to the market.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Since I got back my JVC DVD HD Recorder the "LOADING" problems seems to have disappeared, but yesterday I experienced a new problem which was when I deleted old files from its HD I went back to where I store my current movies "NAVIGATION" and files I hadn't deleted were not showing, so I then went to MODIFY edit for those at home lol only to find that the ones I did want to keep were still there along with a few video thumbnails I didn't know anything about. I was very puzzled as to how this could be. I switched it off to see if it would reboot but nothing. In short I could only play the file in EDIT mode as it wasn't to be seen in any other one. I turned the unit off and slept on the incident. However, the next day when I awoke and reviewed my unit everything was fine again. I will give them a call and see if I can get a replacement or something. By the way the modification they had to do to sort out the loading problem. I don't know what it was. I didn't ask.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Where do you send the JVC units for repair? The Cypress, California unit never answers the phone..
    Quote Quote  
  28. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    well mine I send to the retailer which in my case were here in the UK Electrical Discount UK, P.O. BOX 40 BARNOLDSWICK BB18 5WR. I got it back within 3 days. The annoying thing is that I had to pay the postage of £18.95 even though it's under guarantee. Why don't u send it JVC USA?
    Quote Quote