VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search PM
    I've got this one.
    I wanna use to convert old VHS tapes. What is the best way to use it? It has firewire / DV out port.

[Attachment 62138 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 62139 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    1. Though it has firewire i/o it is quite likely that the input and output is usable only in relation to the DVHS, not when using analog formats. There is a high probability that those ports do not have A/D or D/A converters in line, given what I have read about those models.

2. Check with the manual because it is likely you must use a specific set of apps to talk to the firewire connections. It is NOT a DV family format. Digital-S is, sorta, but not D-VHS, which internally uses MPEG2 Transport Streams. So it might be workable with an HDV app, but not a strictly DV app. My hunch is that is proprietary and uses only the manufacturer app.

If those are correct assumptions, this deck would be no better at playing back VHS tapes than a regular VHS player (excepting possible higher quality electronics). And you would be stuck connecting through the analog ports.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, not regular VHS player, but S-VHS VCR with line TBC.

CapDVHS never worked correctly for this.

Forget the Firewire, use it as quality deck, analog capture.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    It's a US model judged by the logo but I can't make out what model number is, I know for sure some US models have the ability to output non Macrovision tapes over firewire as MPEG-2 4:2:0 SD 720x480 interlaced, They have good TBC/DNR just like any JVC high end model, A simple google search of "D-VHS videohelp" would have landed you in the following topic.

As you can see from the tests I did and as Lordsmurf montioned capturing from S-Video output in lossless AVI is far better than its internal mandatory MPEG-2 ADC, Not to mention that getting CapDVHS to work under Wind 10 could be your big problem.
    Last edited by dellsam34; 3rd Jan 2022 at 01:16. Reason: Corrected CapDVHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search PM
    I am using this lg dvd recorder to capturing Image
    [Attachment 62171 - Click to enlarge]

Any advises?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    That would be the way that gives you the worst quality among the two options we mentioned above, Only a step up shy from an easycrap device.
    Quote Quote