VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Could someone help me make a bat file to make a program close down then start again, or maybe restart is the term

I have the start part, what goes before it?
    @echo off

Start "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\myprogram.exe"
    Isn't the echo off supposed to stop the black command window opening? I have another bat file and the window stays open. It has the echo off

edit: I see the echo off is not to stop the window opening. How do you stop it opening or make it close.
    Thanks
    Last edited by David Banner; 6th May 2021 at 14:57.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Kawaiiii
    Search Comp PM
    echo off simply disable the command echo-ing.. so every line in the batch file doesn't echo itself in the terminal window. It has the @ before to avoid to echo-ing in the command window itself

If the program starts correctly the command window should close automatically.

To kill a process, then relaunch it.. you can try:

taskkill /IM myprogram.exe
    Start "My Program" "C:\Program Files (x86)\myprogram.exe"
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by krykmoon View Post
    echo off simply disable the command echo-ing.. so every line in the batch file doesn't echo itself in the terminal window. It has the @ before to avoid to echo-ing in the command window itself

If the program starts correctly the command window should close automatically.

To kill a process, then relaunch it.. you can try:

taskkill /IM myprogram.exe
    Start "My Program" "C:\Program Files (x86)\myprogram.exe"
    Thanks. Would the taskkill /IM myprogram.exe have the full path like the start?
    I find if i don't have "" between start and the path it just get a command windows with the path to the folder the bat file is in

I just checked my other bat file the window does close actually
    Last edited by David Banner; 6th May 2021 at 15:35.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Kawaiiii
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by David Banner View Post
    No, since it's the program "image" name (the name it has like a process).

If there are multiple instances of the same program or programs with the same name running.. to avoid conflict you should specify the specific process PID (and use /PID option instead)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by krykmoon View Post
    Originally Posted by David Banner View Post
    No, since it's the program "image" name (the name it has like a process).

If there are multiple instances of the same program or programs with the same name running.. to avoid conflict you should specify the specific process PID (and use /PID option instead)
    OK I see

OK I got it working except the GUI stays open. I need the code equivalent of clicking the _ to minimise to the task bar
    Last edited by David Banner; 18th Jul 2021 at 10:12.
    Quote Quote