VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I'm thinking of building a NAS with a RAID 10 array so I could manage more easily my vast multimedia collection and home videos that may go up to 64TB in the near future (128TB using a RAID 10 array).

I've been looking up the Synology DS1821+ (8 bay) due to its many features and possible upgrades but especially because of accepting 16TB drives instead of "just" 14TB drives.

https://www.storagereview.com/review...-ds1821-review

However, a major shortcoming for me is its maximum volume size of 108TB regardless of disk size, even though eight 16TB drives give 128TB.

Am I missing something? Is getting an expansion deck the only option for me?

Does anyone have better suggestions? The Synology brand has been growing on me after reading some articles.

EDIT: I found this Toshiba 16TB Enterprise but I'm not sure if it's suitable for NAS, even though it's cheaper than any other 16TB NAS drives from other brands.

https://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-MG08ACA16TE-7200RPM-Enterprise-Desktop/dp/B0832BL1HC
    Last edited by tugatomsk; 24th Apr 2021 at 10:34. Reason: new info
    Quote Quote  
  2. The most direct comparison to Synology that i am aware of is QNAP.
    From feeling, Synology seems to concetrate on the "end user" stuff while the direct comparision QNAP has also a focus on the enterprise sector. The storage sizes that you name are more like enterprise sector so it might be a good idea for you to look into QNAP.
    Last edited by emcodem; 28th Apr 2021 at 14:29.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i use 2 zyxel and 1 qnap nas boxes here. one of the zyxel units has been running continuously for over 8.2 years without any errors. i wouldn't worry about size. the drives cost more than the nas boxes. just add another when space is getting low.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a small QNAP at work, definitely not aimed at the enterprise, but perhaps their larger units have more enterprise features. At home I run a XigmaNAS box I build using an old Intel Core2 Q8300 / Gigabyte P35-DS3R that was gathering dust. It uses ZFS as the file system giving a max volume size of 256 trillion yobibytes, though I only have 20TB via 5 4TB Ironwolfs but it has been up for just shy of 6 months without any trouble.
    Quote Quote  
  5. My RAID math may be rusty,
    Just some quick math for the NAS: 16TB x 8 = 128TB / 2 for the mirror part = 64TB volume, without expansion deck.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by irondudetoo View Post
    My RAID math may be rusty,
    Just some quick math for the NAS: 16TB x 8 = 128TB / 2 for the mirror part = 64TB volume, without expansion deck.
    i guess your RAID math is fine hehe... minus some TB for the filesystem formatting, maybe 60TB left?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, everyone. I'll have to look deeper into QNAP's options.
    Quote Quote