VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    So I went ahead and bought a new computer, finally. (powerspec g508 gaming computer)
    (originally I posted asking for recommendations here- https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/399427-Suggestions-for-a-new-video-editing-computer)

At Microcenter, all the (mostly ASUS) monitors looked odd, compared to what I remembered seeing 5-10 years ago. The texture was different, like it had a hazy matte finish.
    Is this what I'm noticing
    https://pcmonitors.info/articles/matte-vs-glossy-monitors/

if you scroll down to the side by side image of 2 monitors with surface treatment in the caption, it also is what I am referring to.
    https://www.eizoglobal.com/library/basics/difference_in_image_quality/

Does this have anything to do with the TN, VA or IPS standard of monitor panels or is that a totally different aspect? Is matte vs glossy finish important for quality or is that just personal preference?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's personal preference. Matte is softer / blurred while glossy suffers from reflections and glare.

I'm in the matte faction.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Could never understand why people want a 'blurred' display. I have used glossy (clear) screens forever and if a reflection occurs then just tilt the screen in another direction. I'm in the 'clear' faction.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    Could never understand why people want a 'blurred' display.
    Eh, its just personal visual comfort/taste: some of us can't imagine "why people would want a headache-inducing, glares like a mofo no matter which way you angle it (IF you can even angle it), polished mirror display".

Both surfaces have advantages and drawbacks, depending on application vs environment. But it became a "polarizing" issue back when glossy went from literally zero percent of the market to total domination almost overnight. A decade ago, laptop and monitor mfrs lost their ever-lovin minds chasing the consumer "HDTV On Your PC" video and game playing segment. High gloss screens largely muscled matte off the market, unless you were willing to pay a premium for select laptop marques that offered a choice (or were willing to special-order a matte desktop monitor). Eventually things settled down with more options, but for awhile there if you really needed a new matte monitor or laptop at below-premium pricing you were utterly screwed.
    Last edited by orsetto; 10th Apr 2021 at 13:15.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nothing that super fine grit sandpaper won't cure.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't realize glossy overtook the market about 10 years ago. I mean every screen I looked at in the store just a few days ago just looked different. Especially when compared to my friends Dell U2410 from 2010 or so. Or even my dell flat panel monitor from 2004.

If I liked either of those at the time (especially the U2410), should I just look for a newer model. Or is there a certain type or specific category in online specs listed I should look for?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Interesting to hear you're having some actual difficulty finding a gloss style screen today, Knightmessnger: I haven't really looked closely at monitors in stores the past few years, so perhaps the market pendulum has swung back more towards matte or semi-matte? Thats kind of surprising, given gloss utterly gutted the market for matte around 2009 (you simply could not get a new matte screen unless you stood on your head and paid out your a** for a special order model). Now you've got me curious: next time I hit Best Buy or the lone NYC Micro Center I'll take a closer look. Tho if matte has made a big comeback, it must be limited to desktop monitors: I do check out new laptops frequently, and those all still seem to be gloss.

Running a casual web search of the topic "glossy desktop monitors 2021" pulls up articles like this one: maybe check out a few of these models as a starting point, or use them for reference when explaining the type of screen you want to a dealer. Micro Center probably stocks or can get you something similar.
    Last edited by orsetto; 10th Mar 2021 at 12:03.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Try to work with glossy monitor in sunny day when You see Your own face...
    Is it my face or my granddad transmits video from Heaven?

P.S. I'm using glossy LG monitor for over 7 years. I can't stand it. When will it break?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    Could never understand why people want a 'blurred' display. I have used glossy (clear) screens forever and if a reflection occurs then just tilt the screen in another direction. I'm in the 'clear' faction.
    The picture is not blurred, It is just an anti reflective coating that doesn't affect the pixel sharpness, Most modern monitors don't use the technology anymore unfortunately at least not as matte as back in the day. I guess glossy is flashy, therefore sells better.
    Quote Quote  
  10. After browsing several Staples and Best Buy stores scattered around suburban NY this past month, I can understand Knightmessenger's frustration. Based on floor models being promoted, it does appear the pendulum has finally swung back from glossy to matte recently: I don't think I saw a single gloss monitor on display in any of a half dozen stores featuring a couple dozen models in each. To my complete surprise, even a majority of large screen TVs have shifted from annoying mirror gloss back to a form of semi-matte.

It looks like commodity panel mfrs are trying hard to standardize on a compromise finish somewhere between matte and glossy, skewed somewhat more toward glossy. I didn't see anything close to a traditional dull matte screen like you would get from Dell fifteen years ago: most new screens looked more like my circa-2011 Sony Bravia HDTV (a 'soft gloss" rather than full matte). If I had to guess, this is probably a mfr reaction to changing market conditions: almost nobody is buying desktop computers anymore, and if they do it isn't for gloss-optimized things like gaming or passive video viewing. Whatever dwindling market remains for desktop screens is likely more interested in running business apps or photo/video editing, and doesn't want to see their own reflection or be blinded by sun glare from a nearby window. Similar trends may be impacting the TV segment as well: screens are getting bigger and bigger at lower and lower prices, meaning a lot more people are buying much larger TVs (confronting much higher odds of window and indoor lighting glare driving them up a wall).

As expected, 100% of the laptops I saw were still glossy enough for Alice to chase the Rabbit thru into Wonderland (laptops may soon become the last common refuge of high gloss displays). Personally, I don't see any apparent difference in acuity between current semi-gloss and the typical full-gloss aside from the welcome reduction in glare. But I can understand the trend could be bitterly disappointing for those who vastly prefer full gloss. OTOH, the upside of the constricting desktop monitor market might help the survival of niche models made specifically for the smaller gloss demand: a tighter market means every remaining customer will be catered to. Perhaps not in retail stores, but definitely thru special-order from a mfr website or dealer.
    Last edited by orsetto; 10th Apr 2021 at 13:18.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I guess I have to go to NY next time I need to buy a monitor, Everything is glossy here in the west coast, or maybe what you guys call matte is glossy for me because I haven't seen that HP and DELL 4:3 monitors' "mattiness" for decades, It literally make a hissing noise when you swipe your finger on it's surface.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    I guess I have to go to NY next time I need to buy a monitor,
    Nah, I think you described the same thing in your stores that we have here. There's been a noticeable shift away from mirror-gloss to "soft gloss" but I didn't see anything resembling the standard dull matte of the early Apple, Dell, etc LCD monitors. I still run a small 15" Dell/Phillips from circa 2001 on a 2009 Mac Mini for some legacy stuff, that panel is so completely matte it won't even reflect an electronic flash set off in front of it. Fantastic for its location directly facing a window, but I can understand someone totally used to high gloss might perceive it as "blurry" or "dull" (it isn't really, but seems that way if you've never used one heavily). I believe its still possible to special order that "classic" dull matte on specialty screens meant for critical pro graphics/photo/video work (at a cost), but they aren't sitting around on chain store shelves anymore.
    Quote Quote