VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello!

I want to work the disks of my PC. I want to create partitions, to enlarge the existent partitions, join partitions, etc.
    Some years ago I had a free program to solve all these problems but now I lost it.
    Please anyone tell me the name of such a program.

Thank you for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Easeus Partition Manager. You have to buy the full version if your drives are >10TB
    Last edited by lingyi; 25th Feb 2021 at 13:45.
    Quote Quote  
  3. bad choice to use your email adress as user name, you will get lots of spam
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Of course you can shrink/enlarge partitions within Windows itself. Joining/splitting partitions sounds rather scary tho.
    Quote Quote  
  5. As long as you have valid backups of your files, or if the content of the hdd is not important, you can play around as much as you just want.
    Any operation that involve changes at the partitions on a hdd do impose a real risk of data loss.

There are an open source program called Gparted that can do a lot of partition, but merging/splitting is not on the menu.

If you really want to get into partition management - then forget Windows and rather go using Linux and logical volume management, or the relatively new filesystem btrfs with sub volume functionalities.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    +1 to backups. Never, ever do anything to the partitions on your disk without a full backup!

That said, the nice things about Easeus Partition Manager (the free version works for up to 8TB drives) is the GUI interface that shows you what you're going to do and prompts you before you do anything. Also you can undo some operations.

Expanding and merging partitions is fast, but if you want shrink or move a partition, it's extremely slow because it reads and rewrites everything. If you need to shrink or move a partition, it's probably quicker and definitely safer to format the drive and start all over.
    Quote Quote