VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I just bought a Logitech K120 wired keyboard and I discovered that it does not work with a USB to PS/2 adapter. Previously I was using a Logitech Ultra Flat wired keyboard and it was working fine with the same adapter. I believe the problem is with the keyboard lacking support for PS/2 and not the adapter. Has anyone tested successfully a recently manufactured wired keyboard with such an adapter?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Another option might be a PS/2 keyboard and a PS/2 Keyboard to USB adapter. https://www.amazon.com.au/Genuine-Standard-104-Key-Black-Keyboard/dp/B008EL1CZ4/ StarTech.com makes a PS/2 Keyboard to USB adapter
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I already searched for a PS/2 keyboard locally and I could not find one.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i'd use it as usb if you can. ps2 was flakey. hot plugging/unplugging a ps2 device on a running machine often resulted in a burned out ps2 port.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I never had such a problem, but I always avoided hot plugging/unplugging. Many modern motherboards still have a PS/2 port, so why not use it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    no reason on the keyboard side, the mouse port is a bit slow/laggy, and the purple and green ports are not interchangeable. purple/keyboard green/mouse.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kyrcy View Post
    I just bought a Logitech K120 wired keyboard and I discovered that it does not work with a USB to PS/2 adapter. Previously I was using a Logitech Ultra Flat wired keyboard and it was working fine with the same adapter. I believe the problem is with the keyboard lacking support for PS/2 and not the adapter. Has anyone tested successfully a recently manufactured wired keyboard with such an adapter?
    Been a while, but I've had issues in the past with USB to PS/2 adapters. As others have said, they're pretty hit and miss. PS/2 to USB is a bit better for keyboards, but sometimes flakey with mice.

Check your local thrift shops for a PS/2 keyboard and mouse. They should be a couple of dollars at most. I probably have a couple laying around.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Many motherboards also still have 9pin serial and VGA ports, doesn't mean they are necessary, or even optimal to use them. In fact, those are often more trouble than they're worth now. Ports are there as options to use in varying needs. But ps2 days have come and long gone. New mobo bios firmwares fully support boot-level support of usb-based kb/m devices, so there's no need to look back. No need to find ways to make 3 right turns when all you need to do is make 1 left turn.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, I definitely recall working on some old PCs that didn't react to USB until after the OS was installed. I had to get out my old PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse to set up the BIOS and install the OS.

I think some gamers prefer PS/2 keyboards because they are likely to support something called "N-key rollover".

@Scott: I'm glad to see you survived the polar vortex.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The only reason i would use a ps/2 keyboard is if the bios didn't recognize a usb keyboard but that's been a few years ago.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Yeah, I definitely recall working on some old PCs that didn't react to USB until after the OS was installed. I had to get out my old PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse to set up the BIOS and install the OS.

I think some gamers prefer PS/2 keyboards because they are likely to support something called "N-key rollover".

@Scott: I'm glad to see you survived the polar vortex.
    Thanks! I did, but am still without water (2+ days). 1st day I could safely get beyond my front porch. 2nd day w reliable power again. Looking forward to next week.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    I never had a problem with a USB mouse and a USB to PS/2 adapter, in fact I currently use a Logitech Cordless Optical mouse and it works fine with a USB to PS/2 adapter. I can live with a USB keyboard, but as long as there is a PS/2 port on the motherboard, I will try to use that first.
    Quote Quote