VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Toast DVD's that are made up of two or more MPEG1/2's (see screenshot) don't play smoothly.
    At the end of every MPEG1/2's, the picture freezes for a brief moment while the counter of the DVD player jumps to 00:00, before the next MPEG1/2 is played.

DVD's of a friend of mine don't have this problem. He creates his DVD's with a program that doesn't support Mac.

Do I do something wrong - or is Toast just made this way? And if yes, is there a good alternative to Toast for the Mac?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Schermafbeelding 2012-08-07 om 18.55.47.png
Views:	358
Size:	276.3 KB
ID:	13387
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I would guess that ANY program that started life as a simple burning app, then adds baggage to promote fancier features, will not really do well with those features compared to REAL apps built from the ground-up for those features. Not just Toast, but Roxio's EasyCDCreator (PC side), Nero, etc.

Sounds like your app is putting those clips into separate VOBSets/TitleSets and having to jump from VOB state to VMGR state and back to VOB state. Happened just the other day in another thread (I think that app was from Cyberlink). That's what happens when the app doesn't have full control of DVD spec parameters and tries to accommodate what you've given it within what it CAN do.

If you are on a Mac, the only REAL DVD Authoring app is DVD Studio Pro. All others will disappoint. Of course, you could always dual boot into PC-land. Then you have many more choices.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Cornucopia, thanks again for your advice.

But DVD Studio Pro isn't for sale anymore. In 2006 Apple stopped offering DVD Studio Pro as a stand-alone product, it became part of Final Cut Studio. In 2011 it was discontinued with the release of Final Cut Pro X.

I hope I can get the Final Cut 2009 release. That one still has DVD Studio Pro. Does anyone know how to get this?
    Last edited by HitTheRoad; 8th Aug 2012 at 15:17.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Or get a used copy on ebay/craigslist, etc...

What were they thinking?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I sometimes asking myself why I'm still on a Mac. It's becoming a bad habit.

Not only did Apple kill Final Cut Studio and DVD Studio Pro, iMovie has become extremely unuser friendly since iMovie '08, and iPhoto is a pain in the ass (I've been using iView as an alternative for years now).

The only Mac software (iLife) I'm still using without problems is iTunes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Apple has truly morphed from an integrated computer hardware+software company with a great UI to a consumer electronics company that also happens to have an OS & application division. This is not necessarily a bad thing in general, just bad for those that rely on those OS+app components...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by HitTheRoad View Post
    DVD's that are made up of two or more MPEG1/2's (see screenshot) don't play smoothly.
    just a quesion:
    you live in Holland (TV=PAL standard = 25 fps)
    your input files are ready for NTSC Standard (USA for example)
    What settings did you use in Toast? you created an NTSC or PAL DVD-VIDEO?

bye
    For DVD, iPad, HD, connected TV, … iMovie & FCPX? MovieConverter-Studio 3 (01/24/2015) - Handle your camcorder's videos? even in 60p or 60i? do a slow-motion? MovieCam.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Herve,

The MPEG2's I used foor the DVD are NTSC. So I burned a NTSC DVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    If you are on a Mac, the only REAL DVD Authoring app is DVD Studio Pro. All others will disappoint.
    Ahem....
    Adobe Encore has been available since CS3.

DVDSP is better, however.

I only have Encore because I tend to get the Master Collection.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yeah, I guess the Mac Encore fell under my radar.

It is not quite as robust and full featured as DVDSP, but it could do the trick for the OP's needs.

Scott
    Quote Quote