VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello everyone. This is my first post here. I'm hoping to learn as much as possible from all of you regarding everything video.

I have been shooting stills for many years, and I'm comfortable around Photoshop. Unfortunately, I have near zero experience with video capture and editing. I recently purchased a small camcorder (Panasonic HC--V785) to take with me on travel vacations and capturing family videos. My objective is to have two cameras with me when I travel; my stills camera (Canon R6) and my new little camcorder.
    Quote Quote  
  2. If you are going to lug the R6 around, why not use it to shoot videos as well? https://youtu.be/fE7WTVHo62o
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Bwaak View Post
    If you are going to lug the R6 around, why not use it to shoot videos as well? https://youtu.be/fE7WTVHo62o

I tried using it for stills and videos, but it heats up. It's an unfortunate common issue with the R6. No big deal though. I only pack 3 small, lightweight primes with my R6, and this new Panasonic I got is about the size of a lens, so it's not a burden to carry.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I see. Anyway, there are no issues with "capturing" from a file-based camera, you just copy the files. Depending on a format you use, you may need to join several segments into a longer one. Depending on your NLE you may want or need to convert source files into an intermediate format. Some NLEs work on both Mac and Windows, other are available only on one platform, so you need to spend some time choosing your platform and NLE depending on what you want/need/like.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks! Are there any books I can read regarding video for complete newbies? I lack even the most basic understanding of file formats, compression issues, basic file transfering, effective sound capture techniques, what to look for when coosing an editing program, etc.

When it comes to regular "stills" photography, there are tons of books, tutorials and info available for newbies to pros. I'm finding that this is not the case for video. There are a ton of books about advanced cinematography, but very few, if any, books on basics of video capture. There even a ton of books written about specific camera models, yet not a single one I could find about the camera I purchased. The manual that came with the camera doesn't provide info on the complex menu system. I have already pressed a few buttons that changed some settings (icons appear on the lcd screen, and I have no clue what they mean).
    Quote Quote  
  6. I cannot think of a single book for beginners that covers everything. In any case, shoot in 50M (50Mbps / VBR), (1920 x 1080) mode, this is the highest quality your camcorder offers.

You can start with free NLEs like Windows Movie Maker on Windows (you can get it from Windows Essentials 2012 suite) or iMovie for Mac. Premiere Elements works on both.

I prefer Vegas, but it does not work on Mac, and new versions of Vegas Studio (Movie Studio) use a completely different codebase, so no idea about its features. At the least, you need multiple video and audio tracks and some basic color correction tools.

In terms of general editing and filmmaker vibe, I like a pretty old book "On Film Editing" by Edward Dmitryk, and "Digital Filmmaking" by Mike Figgis. The first one is more about editing, the second one is about digital filmmaking in general, it was written when filmmakers were switching from film to digital. Both books are thin and I think both can be found as PDFs, so feel free to take a look.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Bwaak View Post
    I cannot think of a single book for beginners that covers everything. In any case, shoot in 50M (50Mbps / VBR), (1920 x 1080) mode, this is the highest quality your camcorder offers.

You can start with free NLEs like Windows Movie Maker on Windows (you can get it from Windows Essentials 2012 suite) or iMovie for Mac. Premiere Elements works on both.

I prefer Vegas, but it does not work on Mac, and new versions of Vegas Studio (Movie Studio) use a completely different codebase, so no idea about its features. At the least, you need multiple video and audio tracks and some basic color correction tools.

In terms of general editing and filmmaker vibe, I like a pretty old book "On Film Editing" by Edward Dmitryk, and "Digital Filmmaking" by Mike Figgis. The first one is more about editing, the second one is about digital filmmaking in general, it was written when filmmakers were switching from film to digital. Both books are thin and I think both can be found as PDFs, so feel free to take a look.
    Thank you!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hi maybe I can help a bit. I have been making videos for 11 years

What you will come across is people walking right infront of you while making a video- people chatting right beside you captured on video- wind noise across the microphone. So best to isolate yourself from other people as far as possible. If you intend to video in 4k make sure your computer graphics card can handle it and also a 4k monitor is a good idea. File sizes are a lot larger so best to have a 128 gb card ready.
    If you want to video some sort of official I find that asking if ok works every time, even when I was in China or Japan , sign language works well. They appreciate you asking and not having a video camera shoved in their face. Of course you can wipe out a sound track and/or overlay your own is that your preference

stage productions are usually covered by copyright and one is told no filming , School plays best to avoid as some parents may object

also consider sound, you will get much better with an extrnal microphone but decide if you wan't directional or stereo , the Azden SMX-30v can dial each saving buying two microphones. I have it and a lot cheaper than Rhode with the addition of either power from camera or AA batteries a lot easier to get at if you need to, also the audio cable is detachable incase it gets damaged

editing I use wondershare filamora or Movavi video editor plus for 4K or adobe premier elements for other formats.

Panning can be jerky if rushed, a little tip is in the camcoder screen pan across letting a subject take 7/9 secconds to go from one side to the other, that will help and prevent the jerks in the video.

example of slow panning and people talking not wanted in video,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ggE2F_DTO4

Making a video bring its own problems not encountered with still photography and a completely new craft which has to be learnt so don't give up after the first failed attempts. of course you can also make your own old time looking videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWBKuami2y4
    Last edited by realspeed; 9th May 2023 at 15:12.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by realspeed View Post
    Hi maybe I can help a bit. I have been making videos for 11 years

What you will come across is people walking right infront of you while making a video- people chatting right beside you captured on video- wind noise across the microphone. So best to isolate yourself from other people as far as possible. If you intend to video in 4k make sure your computer graphics card can handle it and also a 4k monitor is a good idea. File sizes are a lot larger so best to have a 128 gb card ready.
    If you want to video some sort of official I find that asking if ok works every time, even when I was in China or Japan , sign language works well. They appreciate you asking and not having a video camera shoved in their face. Of course you can wipe out a sound track and/or overlay your own is that your preference

stage productions are usually covered by copyright and one is told no filming , School plays best to avoid as some parents may object

also consider sound, you will get much better with an extrnal microphone but decide if you wan't directional or stereo , the Azden SMX-30v can dial each saving buying two microphones. I have it and a lot cheaper than Rhode with the addition of either power from camera or AA batteries a lot easier to get at if you need to, also the audio cable is detachable incase it gets damaged

editing I use wondershare filamora or Movavi video editor plus for 4K or adobe premier elements for other formats.

Panning can be jerky if rushed, a little tip is in the camcoder screen pan across letting a subject take 7/9 secconds to go from one side to the other, that will help and prevent the jerks in the video.

example of slow panning and people talking not wanted in video,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ggE2F_DTO4

Making a video bring its own problems not encountered with still photography and a completely new craft which has to be learnt so don't give up after the first failed attempts. of course you can also make your own old time looking videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWBKuami2y4

Thank you!! Accirding to the instruction manual that came with my camera, it looks like it can record in the following formats:

- AVCHD
    - MP4
    - iFrame

Which of these 3 formats should I use?
    Quote Quote  
  10. not an easy question to answer, you have the file format and the record format and the frequency of 59.9 HZ or 50 HZ at least on mine with several different options in each record format

So it depends on what you want to do with the video. Such as keep in on your computer or export it say on to youtube. it also depends on file size, so there is no hard and fast rule.As a guide I generally use MP4 (if that is any help) but with super slow speed I have to go to MOV format with this camcorder I now have. I tend not to use AVCHD but that is personal choice.
    Then there is the question of what you want to get out of editing such as colour grading for example and if doing it in 4K or 1080p.

As your starting out with video If I were you I would stick with MP4 and concentrate more on what your videoing. moving ie walking needs looking into to walking to stop step bounce and keeping level. Ooh loads to think of but don't panic take it step but step and try out different settings until you find one your happy with. Although I had a panasonic camcorder for 9 years then for a short time a Sony now back to a panasonic HC-X1500 it still took me around 9 hours to figure out most of the settings but not yet live broadcast as that is not my thing.

You might find a lot of help on youtube for your particular camcorder so worth checking out.
    Sorry to be so vague I don't mean to be but is such a fast field to study and learn.

with video editing is or can be a big part to play in the final production and here again a completely different world but I find interesting and still learning .
    You have to decide on your style such as what you want to add in post production such as word scrolling if adding text- fade in and out and time to go from one scene to another. let alone headings at tghe start and credits at the end of video if that is what you want. then if going ontgo youtube getting subscribers to your channel . then fo course adding a stills shot in he midle of the video adding royality free music and volume in playback. mind blowing isn't it?

don't forget natural sound can help such as in this short clip of mine
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoMNT1OM5-w
    Last edited by realspeed; 9th May 2023 at 20:24.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Snegron7 View Post
    Accirding to the instruction manual that came with my camera, it looks like it can record in the following formats:

- AVCHD
    - MP4
    - iFrame

Which of these 3 formats should I use?
    Select "MP4 [1080/60p]", which shoots in 1080p60 @ 50Mb/s and employs MP4 container. iFrame is garbage.
    Last edited by Bwaak; 9th May 2023 at 20:36.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you Realspeed and Bwaak for the detailed feedback! I feel I now have a starting point from which I'll expand as I learn this new art!

As far as editing goes, I'll start doing some research on entry level, inexpensive programs. I don't see myself starting a YouTube channel or shooting any paid events, so I'll focus more on videos for myself; mainly travel and family event videos.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Check this out … https://diyvideoeditor.com/

“As far as editing goes, I'll start doing some research on entry level, inexpensive programs.”

Do bear in mind that even the entry level nle's requires a decent learning curve. It's not easy choosing the correct one first time.

Spend a bit of time on this as there is the possibility that you may grow out of your first choice and then have to learn all over again a new one. Don’t aim too low.

I used a few over the years and now use Vegas Pro. Don’t let the “Pro” put you off as its a very intuitive nle.
    Last edited by JN-; 11th May 2023 at 08:42.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I have found Adobe premier elements easy to get into

free 30 day trial

https://www.adobe.com/uk/products/premiere-elements/free-trial.html

you can then buy it straight from that link if you want to (No monthly subscription )
    Last edited by realspeed; 11th May 2023 at 10:18.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by JN- View Post
    Check this out … https://diyvideoeditor.com/

“As far as editing goes, I'll start doing some research on entry level, inexpensive programs.”

Do bear in mind that even the entry level nle's requires a decent learning curve. It's not easy choosing the correct one first time.

Spend a bit of time on this as there is the possibility that you may grow out of your first choice and then have to learn all over again a new one. Don’t aim too low.

I used a few over the years and now use Vegas Pro. Don’t let the “Pro” put you off as its a very intuitive nle.
    Thanks for the link! Also thanks for the tip regarding committing to a particular software. I agree with you 100% regarding the learning curve of editing programs! When I first got into digital photography, the first editing program I learned on was Photoshop Elements. I then went to Photoshop CS2, and continued with subsequent updated versions (I'm on the subscription plan now). On a couple of occasions I tried different programs in an effort to save money, but I found the learning curve to be quite steep. Ironically, I find Lightroom unintuitive for me; I can navigate Photoshop very well but can't seem to find my way around Lightroom!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by realspeed View Post
    I have found Adobe premier elements easy to get into

free 30 day trial

https://www.adobe.com/uk/products/premiere-elements/free-trial.html

you can then buy it straight from that link if you want to (No monthly subscription )
    Thanks! I'll give it a try (as soon as I record some footage).
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    “Ironically, I find Lightroom unintuitive for me” and I thought I was the only one !
    Quote Quote