VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I am in need of a second Video capture card for my other computer. I will be primarily using it for VHS rips and some TV rips. I currently have Hauppage Collossus 1 and very satisfied with its performance even with its occasional hanging due to software. I was originally looking for another Colossus 1 but it seems like it no longer is found anywhere. I am considering and wondering if Colossus 2 will actually perform that well with VHS as 1? Any opinions with the comparision between the two? If there are any other recommendations I am open to them. Also I have tried Diamond VC500 already. It seems to have a driver issues with my computer.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hauppage Live 2 USB will work. I use it in preference over the Diamond because I get a larger selection in the proc amp in Windows 10.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by RS456 View Post
    I am in need of a second Video capture card for my other computer. I will be primarily using it for VHS rips and some TV rips. I currently have Hauppage Collossus 1 and very satisfied with its performance even with its occasional hanging due to software. I was originally looking for another Colossus 1 but it seems like it no longer is found anywhere. I am considering and wondering if Colossus 2 will actually perform that well with VHS as 1? Any opinions with the comparision between the two? If there are any other recommendations I am open to them. Also I have tried Diamond VC500 already. It seems to have a driver issues with my computer.
    How do you rip VHS? How do you rip TV?
    Oh, you don't mean rip. I think you mean capture. Right?
    I'll go in the klitchen and rip a sandwich while you think about it. Meanwhile, read this:
    Rip
    To take off the audio or video from a CD or DVD. Often CD Audio is "ripped" to MP3 files or DVD video ripped to VOB files. VCDhelp ripping
    https://www.videohelp.com/glossary?R#Rip

Sorry to see you're wrecking VHS source with a Colossus. I'd try the Hauppauge. It does clip blacks at Y=16, but if you think your denatured colossus encodes look OK you'll never know the difference. At least the Hauppauge is optimized for analog source and has capture options including a couple that leave your VHS signal more intact.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Yes I mean capture. I am using Panasonic AG-1980 to play the tape and I connected it to the card with S-Video cable and two audio wires. AG-1980 has the builtin TBC so external TBC is not necessary. Colossus is Hauppauge. What do you mean :

"wrecking VHS source with a Colossus. I'd try the Hauppauge. It does clip blacks at Y=16,"?

Which Hauppauge are you referring to that keeps the VHS signal more intact?

Sample of Colossus 1 with AG-1980.
    Last edited by RS456; 29th Apr 2019 at 08:53.
    Quote Quote