VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I recently got a PS3 for the 1st time, and also got a NAS awhile back and have been backing up my DVD collection to the NAS with DVDFab 7. I'm lost as how to play the full movie on the PS3. I can pick VTS_01_etc... and play it, but it is not the full movie, only like 18 minutes or so... I tested an .ISO file, but the PS3 did not even see it. I do not actually have the dvd remote control for the PS3, and have been using the dualshock3 to navigate the screen, but when I find the right file that has the DVD menu I can not select PLAY on the menu(Probably why they sell the remote). Is there a trick to knowing which file will play the full movie? or do I just need to buy a PS3 remote?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVDs should be played using the IFO file, not the VOB file. It would not surprise me if the PS3 cannot play a DVD structure back from the folders unless it is burned as a DVD (not something I have tried, I must admit). It will play them back from folders if servers through something like PS3 Media Server, but you don't get menus options, just the main title.

If you want it to play as a DVD, you may have to burn it to a DVD disc. If you just want the main titles to play, you could use MakeMKV to create an MKV file of the content, then MKV2VOB to create a single PS3 playable VOB file.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, the PS3 does not see the .IFO files. It would be great if it could..maybe in the future. I will have to look into the programs you pointed out and make one large VOB that will play the whole movie, if it does not take to long to convert. Otherwise I would just pop in the original dvd and watch. My main goal was just to back up the DVD's onto the NAS, (which I have done), but now that I got the PS3, I figured I would experiment a little on serving them to it, but without PC software like PS3 media server. thanks.
    Quote Quote