VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I have an older computer that I have just loaded Linux onto. I was wondering if there was a complete set of tools for ripping DVD's into VCD's.

What I normally used was Smartripper, DVD2AVI and TMPGEnc.

Are there comparable software programs out there that will do the same as the tools that I use under Windows? If so, what are they and were could I find ALL of them?

Also, one last question. Is there a prefferable version of Linux out there that is more suited to DVD ripping and encoding? I'm using Red Hat v7.2.

Thanks in advance to everyone's help on this one.
    Are you registered as human?
    Negative, I am a meat popsicle!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    WHY oh WHY has no one relpied?

Oh please help me out, for I'm a newbie to linux.....

And on good days not too bright
    Quote Quote  
  3. why even bother?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you serious?

Do you really have no clue at all?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by musher70
    why even bother?
    Three words: CHEAP RENDER FARM

AN open source toolchain for encoding would allow one to create a distributed encoding system that can split one encoding job across multiple machines (do a google search on beowulf clusters for details). At $400 - $500 per node and $800 for a a dedicated server (with 120GB HD), one could have a kick ass encoding system for well under $3000.

(of course, musher70 is just trolling, but I'd though I just mention this to show what could be done with a linux video toolset.)
    Quote Quote  
  6. This Linux video forum is relatively new to this board, and as such it is a bit like the Field of Dreams ballfield, waiting for people to hear about it and start dropping by.

Patience...
    As Churchill famously predicted when Chamberlain returned from Munich proclaiming peace in his time: "You were given the choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war."
    Quote Quote  
  7. I see that it is a really late reply, but better late than never.

There are some really good utilities for all sorts of video manipulation. To keep this short I will just keep to the DVD ripping software. You should check out transcode and dvd::rip.

Transcode: http://www.theorie.physik.uni-goettingen.de/~ostreich/transcode/

This is a great multipurpose video stream processing tool. It can convert between a large number of formats and has many features including filters. The interface is command line and has a lot of options, but there are some good examples on the web page and once you get the feel for it there is no problem.

DVD::Rip
    http://www.exit1.org/dvdrip/

DVD::Rip is a very nice front-end for transcode that makes ripping DVD backups into DivX, XviD, VCD, SVCD quite easy. It has a lot of options and has been maturing very quickly.

Be aware that encoding video can be a very time consuming process -- very much so on older hardware.

Best luck.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hey Shango,

Do you know of tools to DVD rip movies to DVD-RAM dvd's?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Howdy Shango,

Thanks for the gen on transcode...it looks good....I'll give it a try when I get some free time...and get back to using a real o/s

regards
    My mate says it's a fuse...
    Quote Quote  
  10. www.sourceforge.net
    drip
    ogle
    xine
    libdvdread
    libdvdcss
    libdvdnav
    a52dec
    mpeg2dec
    css-auth

those are the tools i have, and the main site i got them from. or was linked from.
    poop.
    Quote Quote  
  11. so with those tools are you able to rip DVD's and burn them?
    Quote Quote  
  12. if all you wanna do is rip it to burn it

http://dvdripping-guid.berlios.de/

go there after you download Mplayer.

it doesnt do that great of a job, but it does get the job done (better than some programs i've seen out there)

you can also go to http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/divx_linux_guide.html

although, i havent gotten transcode to install, even with having the dependencies installed. but good luck!
    poop.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Hi all, just wanted to mention that installing transcode is a major pain in the ass

I got an older version to compile on a redhat 7.1 system, though i never did use it for anything...

I'm now using mandrake 9.0. To install transcode, i went to the Penguin Liberation Front web site (use google to find). They package stuff for mandrake that mandrake can't include due to copyrights and stuff like that...anyway, you choose a mirror, than use their command generator to give you the command to add their site and packages to your urpmi database...after that, in a console, as root, do:

urpmi transcode

and watch it download a shit-ton of software. If you compile transcode, you can omit support for certain external libs, but this package has it linked to every damn possible thing, so it's a bit of an undertaking..urpmi is far from perfect, and still fails on a few dependencies, which you can try to also urpmi or search for (again, google). I finally managed to get the booger installed, and then went on to install dvdrip. As a matter of fact, i had mplayer installed/compiled and actually uninstalled it and urpmi'd mplayer to satisfy transcode! I don't regret this because now my mplayer has support for everything under the sun - when i compiled it was quite lazy.

dvdrip has a cluster mode - i'd live to customize KNOPPIX to include transcode and automaticaly mount an nfs share, so that i could quickly turn any room full of networked pc's into a kick-ass dvd ripping cluster...
    Quote Quote