VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there,

I have all the neccessary stuff to convert AVI (divx) to mpeg1 (VCD - using avidemux (if you like virtual dub, you'll like this app)), but how can I burn a VCD? I have k3b, gtoaster, and xcdroast installed, but none of them seem to have VCD projects built in, like nero =/

I'd like to have this working in k3b, as so far I like it best over gtoaster and xcdroast.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I find it hard to believe no one has ever burned VCDs in linux. =)

Anyway, I installed arson, and VCDImager, but I'm getting an error when I try to burn a VCD in Arson.

My CDRW drive is properly setup through ide-scsi, and I can burn data / audio cds with other programs like k3b, and gtoaster. As a matter of fact I'm burning an audio CD from mp3s as I type this, using Arson. Why can't I create VCDs? =(

I'm going to try to use avidemux again to convert the divx file to mpeg.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm not really a Linux user, but have you actually successfully made the CUE/BIN image (or TOC image) with VCDImager?

BTW, you could always try: http://forums.vcdimager.org

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  4. cdrdao (included w/most linux distros) will burn bin/cue images....
    the syntax for cdrdao is something like this....

cdrdao write --device 0,1,0 --speed 4 --eject whatever.cue

If it complains about a driver try this... (you might need a specific driver - see the CDRDAO documentation for driver help)

cdrdao write --device 0,1,0 --driver generic-mmc --speed 4 --eject whatever.cue
    (your device, driver, and speed settings will probably differ...)
    Quote Quote  
  5. The above poster is correct. Try using the generic-mmc driver, which you can add as an option to cdrdao in arson. I had probs with Arson at first too, since it didn't have a built-in driver for my CD-RW. I tried generic-mmc and it worked like a shark with frikkin' lasers on it's head.
    Quote Quote  
  6. just thought i should mention that to find your device with cdrdao, you type:
    cdrdao scanbus
    not that i think someone wouldnt read the --help before jumping in on anything, but if you use the wrong device block you can screw something up.

plus, i came across something today, i didnt know mkisofs had a -dvd-video option. my guess would be that if your dvd player can play vcds, and you have an mpeg/divx you wanna watch on there, you can get some good stuff from
    http://dvdripping-guid.berlios.de/Divx-to-VCD_en.html
    then, use mkisofs to order it all properly... then burn it.

i'm still trying to get that damn transcode to stop erroring on me. but divx5 plays nicely in redhat 8
    poop.
    Quote Quote