VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I currently have some source avi's that were captured with the Huffy Codec and PCM audio.

I am looking for the correct commands to feed into mencoder to convert them into Divx 4.x and mp3.

I know I cannot convert them into Divx 5.x yet as there is no encoding codec for linux as of yet.

After reading the man page and mplayerhq site I am still baffled as to exactly what options I need to feed mencoder to get my desired output.

so far this is as close as I have gotten:
    $ rm frameno.avi
    $ mencoder /mnt/videos/CAPTURE5.00.avi -ovc frameno -lameopts q=9:mode=0 -o frameno.avi

which seems to work, then in theory, it should be a quick

$ mencoder /mnt/videos/CAPTURE5.00.avi -oac copy -pass 1 -ovc divx4 -divx4opts br=900

$ mencoder /mnt/videos/CAPTURE5.00.avi -oac copy -pass 1 -ovc divx4 -divx4opts br=900

and I should be doing my little happy dance.

however a quick seg fault prevents this.

I have encounted seg faults when my syntax was wrong on something that mencoder didn't immedatly reconize as an error.

I do not believe that I have a faulty mencoder, I think that my syntax is wrong.

Can anyone shed some light my way? Tell me what I am doing wrong? Offer an alternitive that will result in the desired output?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    >which seems to work, then in theory, it should be a quick

>$ mencoder /mnt/videos/CAPTURE5.00.avi -oac copy -pass 1 -ovc divx4 -divx4opts br=900

>$ mencoder /mnt/videos/CAPTURE5.00.avi -oac copy -pass 1 -ovc divx4 -divx4opts br=9

Just quick answer, the second line has option -pass 1 , shouldn't that be -pass 2
    Probably a typo instead of a worng command, but you never know

The options you give mencoder look fine to me, but then I'm not very good with mencoder (or any encoder for that matter).
    Quote Quote  
  3. You are correct that should ave been pass 2 instead of pass 1.

I must have had a multi-tasking buffer overflow.

I recompiled lame & mplayer and now the segfault has disappeared.

<insert happy dance>

Now I just need a way to deinterlace......
    Quote Quote