VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    Just started with Linux.
    Anyone knows applications for VCD (etc) that are targeted for the Linux environment (I know VCDimager and cdrDao are originated from Linux but are there any more?)
    For instance, does exist something like TMPGenc but that works in Linux?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. A couple of good places to search for linux/unix tools:

www.freshmeat.net
    www.tucows.com

Search for mpeg encoders...you should find plenty. It will be more difficult to determine what to expect in terms of quality. Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi!

Originally Posted by Betamax
    Just started with Linux.
    Congratulations :-)

Anyone knows applications for VCD (etc) that are targeted for the Linux environment
    Well, some of it depends upon what format you capture your files in. Many people seem to prefer capturing in MJPEG format, then after doing whatever editing they deem necessary convert to their final format. If this is you, then I would strongly recommend the mjpeg-tools. They (like most good Linux tools) are commandline-based, but there is a GUI called "glav" which is included, as well as another application you can download called "Linux Video Studio", which isn;t officially a part of the mjpegtools project, but was written by at least one of the developers, and is basically a fancy GUI front-end to the mjpeg-tools.

For myself, well about 90% of the stuff I record I delete right after watching it (tv shows that I can't watch because I'm either at work, or otherwise not home when they're on), so other than recording then watching them, I don't usually bother with editing and copnverting to other formats.

The few times I do bother with that, however, how I convert from MJPEG to my final product depends on the original source:

1. If it was recorded from televison, and has commercials, I will use glav (part of the mjpeg-tools) to edit out the commercials, and then then use one of the other mjpeg-tools to convert to whichever format I decide on (S/VCD, Divx, etc.). But I find the mjpeg-tools to be a little on the slow side, quite frankly (I usually get encoding from MJPEG to whatever at ~16fps)
    2. If the original source was, say, a VHS movie that I wish to "digitize", then I will still capture to MJPEG (so I can use my catrd's hardware MJPEG encoder), and then I'll use mencoder (from the MPlayer package) to encode to my final format (I find it to be *very* fast! Encoding from MJPEG to my final format is usually between 45-75fps!)

Whenever possible, I like to use mencoder (and yes, I normally use MPlayer for playback as well)

(I know VCDimager and cdrDao are originated from Linux but are there any more?)
    Yes, two *very* good tools! Actually, other than VCDIMager, I'm not really aware of any other tools to create VCD images out of MPEGs, but it's really good enough (and includes a VCD "ripper" tool as well, which I've found rather useful from time to time)

For instance, does exist something like TMPGenc but that works in Linux?
    [soapbox]
    This is just my opinion, but you really should get familiar with the comman-line. Yes, you can usually find pretty front-ends for most of the tools mentioned (and I'm not adverse to using them myself; in fact, I try to use them whenever possible), but you shouldn't *rely* upon the front-ends. Actually, most of the tools I try out, if they don;t come in a commanline version, I don't usually look at them. The reason is prolly because I am usually shelled in to my Linux boxes from work, that's when I get most of my "house-keeping" done :-) But really, you can usually do way more from the comman-line than you can from the front-end (there are, of course, things like editing out commercials that pretty much *have* to be done using a GUI tool, but since I rarely do that, it's not that big of a concern for me).
    [/soapbox]

Well, hope this helps, and I hope it didn't sound *too* preachy or anything...

Good luck!

Alan
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    http://sourceforge.net is another great site for finding Open Source software.
    Quote Quote