VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey guys,
    I've been capturing in Windows XP for awhile now. I would love to try to capture through Linux and see if it I get better perfomance. How well are you guys capturing in Linux compared to Windows?

I have an ATI-AIW, by the way.

Thanks,
    TheNob
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi.

Originally Posted by TheNob
    I've been capturing in Windows XP for awhile now.
    I'm sorry to hear that... ;-)

How well are you guys capturing in Linux compared to Windows?
    Quite honestly, I haven't used Windows in my home for the last three years, so I've never captured under Windows. However, I can get pretty good quality (when I want) with my Matrox Marvel G400-TV under Linux. Most of my captures are TV programs that I can't watch when they're on, which I delete almost immediately upon watching, so my quality "requirements" regarding those recording aren't really too high. The quality I do get is about the same (perhaps even a little better) as something recorded on a VHS tape on the "EP" (6-hours) setting.

I have to ask though: are you considering switching for any particular reason, or just decided on a whim to give Linux a try? If it's a "whim", you may be slightly disappointed (read on for more detail...)

I have an ATI-AIW, by the way.
    Hmmm, well I'm not going to sugar-coat this for you: depending on your card, you are most likely not going to get a nice and easy setup, or at least as far as doing an install and then immedaitely being able to use it. Even if the distribution you install has the necessary drivers (from the GATOS project), you will still most likely have to download the latest source code form the GATOS project (http://gatos.sf.net), and compile them yourself. And even then, all of the features of your card may not be available. This is because ATI no longer writes Linux drivers, so the GATOS guys kinda have to do some (educated) guesswork work, since they don;t have access to the card specs, for the most part. That's actually one of the reasons I stopped using my ATI card: because they're not too friendly to Open Source.

Anyway, if the idea of getting your hands dirty (compiling code yourself) hasn't frightened you off, then before taking the plunge, I suggest you go over to the GATOS project URL, definately take a look at the mailing list archives (usefull for seeing what sort of problems others have had in the past), read all the documentation, and most importanly, seeing how much of your particular card is supported (feature-wise). If you're *still* not scared off after that, then you may be ready to take the plunge :-)

If/when you do take the plunge, I strongly suggest joining the users' mailing list, and definately use them as a resourse if you get stuck (make sure you check the archives and documentation first, though!)

HTH.

Alan
    Quote Quote