VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Would you go skydiving?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    So would you jump out of a plane?

I certainly would not! I personally think its insane to do that.......

not to mention my fear of heights
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i wouldnt either.
    why do that?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I would get on the plane but would not jump. I have been scuba diving but skydiving is a different beast.
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    They made me do it (aka they paid me). When I joined the Army in 1976 I volunteered for the Airborne in part because I was young (and maybe stupid). I loved it and if I were in shape and re-trained I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I made "static-line" jumps from C130 & C141 aircaraft. "Static-line" jumps are not the same as free fall skydives but it's about as close as you can get.

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Never did it but I know I would enjoy it. I don't have any fears of heights except the normal cautious ones. I wouldn't want to stand on the edge of El Capitan and peer over but would have no problem putting on a rapelling harness and going over the edge.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I signed up for a jump when I was in college, but they canceled because of aircraft problems. I took that as a sign and lost interest in the idea. But it always seemed like something to experience at least once.

If you check with your local airports, they can usually direct you to a jumping club. It's not too expensive for the first jump, about $30US in our area. You can do a freefall jump strapped to a 'buddy' who is a professional and that's a fairly safe way to experience it for a first jump.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I wouldn't.

You are in breach of the forum rules and are being issued with a formal warning.
    / Moderator yoda313

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No way in hell! I don't have a deathwish and wouldn't get on the plane

That was my vote.

Although I could see myself maybe doing it just ONCE in my life ... just to say I DID IT ... but that would be the extent of it.

I'm not afraid of it really but why tempt the odds?

I mean if you do it ONCE just to say I DID IT then the odds of something going wrong are very slim but to do it over and over and over again as a hobby is just inviting disaster.

Having said that I am in no hurry for my ONCE in a lifetime try 8)

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

P.S.
    I never did any bungee jumping either nor do I wish to try.
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Video production and sky diving....sure! One of the local outfits that does tandem jumps from around 10k feet films your entire experience from suiting up to walking away safely. They'll sell you a DVD of your experience that is quite nicely edited and produced. A group of my coworkers did it and got the DVD. I had to decline because of my bad neck, overwise I'd done it in a heart beat.
    Usually long gone and forgotten
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This poll reminds me of my favorite joke:
    A young man wants to go sky diving in the worst way. (Well, I guess the worst way would be without a parachute, but you get the idea.) He has dreamed about it since he was a kid. So he reads everything he can on the subject, he goes to all the classes, he takes a paired jump with an instructor. Finally the day arrives for him to take his first solo jump, and he is so ready.
    The plane gets up to the proper altitude, they open the door, and he jumps out. He counts to 10, and pulls the rip cord. Nothing happens! He pulls the emergency cord, and still nothing happens!
    He's falling faster and faster, when all of a sudden he sees another man shooting up past him. So he yells to the other man, "Do you know anything about parachutes?"
    To which the other man replies, "No! Do you know anything about gas furnaces?"
    Phil

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It would probably be safer to jump out of an airplane than drive in the Las Vegas, Nevada area, but I still think jumping out of an airplane is too much for me, even if I packed my own chute.

I'm afraid this would be me after my first skydive

When I signed up for the Navy I didn't join the Submarine service, why get on a boat thats designed to sink.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'd love to do it.Why not?

Do most people die from it?

It would give you a thrill as does rollercoasters,bungy jumping ect....

Fun!
    ~Luke~
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by George Lucas
    I wouldn't.

You are in breach of the forum rules and are being issued with a formal warning.
    / Moderator yoda313

You banned the creator of THX-1138?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've got just over 30 jumps under my belt - most from around 12,000 feet, and most I've packed my own 'chute (under supervision). "No" I'm not insane, and "yes" I'm still alive...

And I have to say that it's one of the most exhilirating experiences of my life - and every time I go it's the same. There's an amazing adrenaline rush followed by an extremely satisfying sense of freedom and flying.

Then there's the views - they're incredible! After all, you don't jump on bad weather days. If there's no cloud on the horizon, you can see the curvature of the Earth - and it's just you and nothing else around. Awesome!!!

Don't think so much about "jumping out of a plane" as that's just a fraction of a second - think about the 45 - 50 seconds of freefall over a beach, or near a forest or other similar stunning setting.

For the artistes, there's the skill in flying in formation with others and / or the skill in the precision flying of a canopy to hit targets and fly through gates. And then there's wing suits - a whole new ball game...

Every single person is really friendly and always willing to help or chat. And they party hard too!!!

Not a bad hobby / sport to take up and a great social aspect too. I totally recommend it if you have any inclination.

And get your first jump filmed - it only happens once!!!

www.extreme-safari.com/images/Skydive%20Formation%20Diani%20Beach.jpg

http://www.cairnsattractions.com/images/p-jumpthebeach.jpg
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've done it tandem. Loved it. I'm a commercial pilot - I mainly fly helicopters - so I love anything having to do with aviation. But I am afraid of heights to some extent. The only reservation I had - the only time I was "scared" was getting to the door and looking straight down. 13,000 feet down. But after I jumped I wasn't really that scared, partly because I didn't look straight down. I've since learned that a lot of pilots are afraid of heights, so I'm not alone in being weird.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    HELL YEAH I'd jump!
    I am just a worthless liar,
    I am just an imbecil
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by GKar
    Originally Posted by George Lucas
    I wouldn't.

/ Moderator yoda313

You banned the creator of THX-1138?
    It was my own not so secret secret-identity
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yes. Absolutely.

Just as I started college, they disbanded the skydiving club.

DOH!!
    Quote Quote