VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a problem with my Windows Meida Player(w/ Windows XP pro). The problem is that when watching a movie it is like a perfect square cutting off the top, bottom, and sides. Almost like it's zoomed in. I tried everything to fix this. Unisintalling, re-installing, updating all software and my system, changing mpeg 2 codecs, tweaking every adjustment I can think of. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this without having to re-install windows? I don't even care about using Windows Media Player, but I have to in order to watch streaming movies with Netflix.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Did you also try reinstall windows media player?
    WHat version of wmp?
    Quote Quote  
  3. yes, i rolled back to windows media player 10 and then reinstalled wmp 11.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's not wmp.

It's caused by a setting in one of the dshow filters used to decode/render the video.

Using Gspot to see which filters are used to process the video may help pinpoint the guilty one.

If by any chance it shows Directvobsub in the list then check your start menu/programs and select the "vobsub / Directvobsub configure" option. When the program opens, select the "General" tab and set the option below that to "original resolution" then click apply.

This program is for sub placement and display but this particular option expands/doubles the video resolution in case it's too small so that the subs are legible.

Hope it's as simple as that.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Read ms articles

You can not install wmp11 and then decide to use system restore or any other method to return to wmp10, it simply will not work. To do so involves re installation of the operating system, or the usage of some form of system backup image taken prior to wmp11 install.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Try using graphedit to find out which codecs are getting involved in the decoding and trying out configuration tweaks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bjs
    Read ms articles

You can not install wmp11 and then decide to use system restore or any other method to return to wmp10, it simply will not work. To do so involves re installation of the operating system, or the usage of some form of system backup image taken prior to wmp11 install.
    With XP sp2 you can roll back from 11 to 10 but you might lose digital rights on licenced downoads (but they have a fix for that). I did it a few months back when I had a problem with wmp11 which turned out not to be wmp's fault but I'm still using wmp10 today. I just haven't bothered to reinstall it back. Some who tried reported that the uninstall in the add/remove program panel doesn't work but via google I found a way to do it by manually running the uninstall executables and that worked without problem.

The fact that his player works shows that it's not because of the wmp rollback but just one of the dshow filters. I'm 99% sure it's the filter I mentioned or a substitute that works the same way.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, I had to revert an XP system back to WMP10 recently just to update the firmware on an old Nomad player, just so Vista could recognize it. It required XP with WMP10 just for that, and wouldn't work with WMP11 installed (I'd tried it with WMP11 installed, and the player's firmware wouldn't work after that.)

Needless to say, all I had to do was (yes, with SP2 installed) go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall both WMP11 and its runtime (rebooting after each uninstall ) That set it back to WMP10.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote