VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all!

I am looking for a lossy 32 bpp codec which I can encode my video into.

I am currently aware of the following lossless codecs:
    Apple -> None
    Apple -> Animation
    JPEG 2000
    Fraps 1

My goal is to get a 30 seconds video with 32 bpp color depth to weigh well under 100mb. Wide compatibility like the MPEG codec family is always a plus.

Any help will be immensely appreciated!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. You mean you need to keep the alpha channel? And you need to keep the video in RGB, not YUV 4:2:2 or 4:2:0?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I am not sure about the alpha channel question. It may be the alpha but it could also be because of the higher bpp?

As far as RGB. Yes I would like to start off retaining the RGB format. However so, I am open to a 32 bpp YUV if such a format supporting codec exists.
    Quote Quote  
  4. 32bpp means 32 bits per pixel (8 red, 8 blue, 8 green, 8 alpha)

"bpc" as a naming term is often used interchangably with "bpp" (bits per channel, or bits per pixel)

If you don't need alpha channel , then use 24bpp . Because alpha channel requires bandwidth (=larger filesizes), even if it's a "dummy" channel with no data
    Quote Quote  
  5. Checking the video properties it sas: Video: qtrle, bgra, 1280x1024, 195585 kb/s, PAR 1280:1280 DAR 5:4, 29.59 fps, 30 tbr, 30 tbn, 30 tbc

whereas bgra stands for rgb + a.

Do you know of any lossy 32 bpp codecs?
    Quote Quote  
  6. RGB 32 is the same as RGB 24 except it has an additional 8 bit alpha channel (usually used for transparency). Since you don't know that you probably don't have anything in the alpha channel and don't need to preserve it.

Almost all high compression codecs work in YUV with 4:2:0 chroma subsampling.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/294144-Viewing-tests-and-sample-files?p=1792760&vie...=1#post1792760

I don't know of any high compression codecs that work in RGB. Lagarith or MSU lossless can compress in RGB but they're lossless and don't give a lot of compression unless your video has very little detail, or a very small frame size.

PicVideo MJPEG supports YUV 4:4:4 (they call it 1:1:1).

If you don't mind YUV 4:2:0 (as is usually used in MPEG 2) you can get more compression with h.264.
    Last edited by jagabo; 12th Dec 2011 at 20:45.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I don't know of any high compression codecs that work in RGB.
    (FYI, h.264 supports this, and x264 can encode RGB, Y'CbCr 4:2:0, 4:2:2, 8 or 10-bit now , and FFMpeg can decode the output . But very few devices or even software yet support, basically only FFMpeg and some versions of Mainconcept AVC decoder)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by videohelperee View Post
    Checking the video properties it sas: Video: qtrle, bgra, 1280x1024, 195585 kb/s, PAR 1280:1280 DAR 5:4, 29.59 fps, 30 tbr, 30 tbn, 30 tbc

whereas bgra stands for rgb + a.

Do you know of any lossy 32 bpp codecs?

But rarely do you need to preserve the alpha for a final distributable output format. The exception would be flash ads like banners on webpages.

You usually only need alpha for intermediates, for compositing in other programs. Most players won't even see the alpha. It will be displayed as black instead of transparent

The only common lossy distributable format that preserves alpha is vp6a, used in flv flash files. This is Y'CbCr 4:2:0 subsampled + Alpha . The alpha is visible in flash player => so you see the transparency instead of "black"

Animation codec, the file you are using is essentially uncompressed if used at the highest quality setting. Other options for RGB+A are png (e.g. png in mov) , lagarith, ut video codec
    Quote Quote  
  9. You can always compress the alpha channel as a separate file.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yo Videohelperee. You have been disassembled.

Tell us again what you want in simple language. The solutions are probably simple.

Start with source format, then explain what you want from there.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote