VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there any way to convert a PAL DVD to NTSC, keeping the Closed Captions intact.

I know that I can play the DVD with the subtitles and capture the analogue signal. It would be good, however, to find a way of doing this in a totally digital way rather than going digital-analogue-digital.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    The easiest way that requires no conversion is to get a region free DVD or Blu-ray player and the problem is solved, I myself have a Blu-ray region free player that I play both PAL DVD's and PAL Blu-rays on my US TV. DVD may have a different resolution for PAL but most modern TV's play all resolutions.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by itma View Post
    Is there any way to convert a PAL DVD to NTSC, keeping the Closed Captions intact.

I know that I can play the DVD with the subtitles and capture the analogue signal. It would be good, however, to find a way of doing this in a totally digital way rather than going digital-analogue-digital.
    N. American closed captions would be highly unusual because countries that typically use PAL for DVD use another system for broadcast TV subtitles. Do you really mean the DVD contains N. American closed captions like those present in TV broadcasts or do you mean the DVD contains alternate language DVD subtitles and/or DVD subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing?

There are ways to preserve both closed captions and DVD subtitles using totally digital methods, but you'd use different software for doing it depending on which one you have. Closed captions can be extracted with CCExtractor GUI as SRT subtitles and turned into DVD subtitles with SubtitleCreator. DVD subtitles can be demultiplexed as SUP files using PgcDemux.

AVStoDVD can be used to author a NTSC DVD from a PAL video source with up to 3 different audio tracks and 3 different subtitle tracks. [Edit]However, N. American closed captions are stripped from the GOP user data whenever AVStoDVD re-encodes from PAL to NTSC and that is why it is necessary to convert the closed captions to DVD subtitles to preserve them.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 15th Feb 2020 at 12:36.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote