VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use the Freemake Video Converter a lot. With it's 5 hour dvd capacity it is way out in front as the most desirable dvd burner.. This is, however, one nasty let-down: Sometimes, not always, but sometimes a movie burned to dvd, upon playback the picture is slightly degraded with fine Mosaic patterns and Pixilation. It is rare, but seems to attack fast moving images, for example, a fast Pan of the camera, or a shot of a train moving fast on camera. Instead of the natural blur, the picture is broken up into mosaics !

Are there any technical setting on the Freemake Video Converter that would remedy this problem, please?

I know the Accelerator setting MUST BE unticked in order to make smooth / unchoppy dvd's - I don't understand why Freemake insist on leaving this ticked when it always guarantees a lousy picture quality..., so ALWAYS UNTICK this setting.

Normal convertion to mp4; avi; mpeg2 etc, all behave perfectly. It is just the copy quality to dvd that is letting the side down!
    Quote Quote  
  2. You're simply putting too much video on the DVD. You an only put about 1 hour (8000+ kbps) on a single layer DVD at highest quality. At 2 hours (4000+ kbps) you will see a significantly degraded picture. At 5 hours (<2000 kbps) it's going to look like crap.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for writing, but you are wrong, you know. You can put 5 hours of very big files; 1gb ; 2gb and achieve excellent quality results but as I am finding, occasionally, a film or video has a very "busy" picture which pixilates on very fast movement!

It doesnt seem to matter how large the files are, so long as they do not exceed the 5 hour mark by 1 second, they will fit and play perfectly. I have proved this dozens of times over!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by vinckles View Post
    With it's 5 hour dvd capacity it is way out in front as the most desirable dvd burner.
    Nonsense. Any decent DVD burning program can burn to disk any amount of video. How it'll look is another matter. But the act of burning to disk does nothing to the picture. It's the same as before you burned it.

You don't seem to be writing about burning to disk, but DVD conversion. And saying you can get 5 hours of video onto a DVDR with decent quality means either your eyes are very bad or you have a very high threshold for crap.

Instead of the natural blur, the picture is broken up into mosaics !
    A clear result of too low bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Please tell me how I can change the "Bit-Rate" in preparing the film for burning to dvd? Normally, I do not need to convert the file, I can just load it straight onto the Freemake converter, whether it is a flv; avi; wmv; mp4 or mpeg2 and the act of selecting "DVD" button ( and Burn), does the rest.
    Where will I find controls to alter the DVD parameters, please?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by vinckles View Post
    Normally, I do not need to convert the file, I can just load it straight onto the Freemake converter
    It's right there in the name.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by vinckles View Post
    Please tell me how I can change the "Bit-Rate" in preparing the film for burning to dvd?
    It doesn't have those controls. You load your video(s) and it chooses the bitrate. About all you can do is not give it so much video that it has to use a bitrate too low for the material, in order to fit it onto a DVD-5. It has no controls at all. Use the better and more configurable AvsToDVD and choose the HCEnc MPEG encoder.
    Quote Quote