VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have created a vob file with the following command line.
    "ffmpeg.exe -i testin.avi -f dvd VTS_01_1.VOB"

testin.avi was a simple 720x480 video file I made myself, who's frame rate is 29.97fps. All specs as it should be for video that is suitable for a DVD.

Then I created the required additional files with ifoedit.exe and accepting the default settings. It ouutput the following files:
    VIDEO_TS.IFO
    VIDEO_TS.BUP
    VTS_01_1.IFO
    VTS_01_1.BUP

I copied my VOB file and all the files generated by IFOEDIT into a folder called VIDEO_TS, and I created an empty folder called AUDIO_TS. I put both of these folders into a folder called DVD, and then used Folder2ISO to create a DVD ISO image. I set the Joliet character set to ISO8859-1 (which I believe is correct for video DVDs) in Folder2ISO, and set its source folder to my folder called DVD and set its output file name to video.iso and then ran it to create the ISO file.

The resulting video ISO file I loaded into an Alcohol 52% virtual drive, and then attempted to play that disk in VLC. The result was that it didn't recognize it as a legitimate DVD (though I could easily access the individual files on the disk image, and even directly play the VOB file in VLC player). Thinking it was maybe just a bug in Alcohol 52%, I also attempted to load the ISO into a couple other virtual drive programs, all with no success in getting VLC player to recognize and play the disk (or more accurately, the disk image).

I could test it on a real DVD player, to see if it's just a software issue, but I don't want to waste physical disks in the process of debugging this.

So I've decided to turn to Video Help Forum for some help. My intent is to simply create a single-title single-chapter DVD with no menu, which will instantly start playback when the real disk is inserted into a real DVD player. And furthermore, my intent is to use free software. Furthermore, FFMPEG MUST be part of the tool chain. It gives me the most control over the VOB creation, allowing me to manually create very high quality VOB files (simply by using the command line switch -b:v 8000k to set the bit rate to 8000 kbps for example) instead of whatever low quality defaults might be used in free DVD authoring software (commercial DVD authoring software might allow higher quality settings, but I'd have to pay for it, which I'm trying to avoid).
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Videogamer555 View Post
    testin.avi was a simple 720x480 video file I made myself, who's frame rate is 29.97fps. All specs as it should be for video that is suitable for a DVD.
    Except that AVI doesn't contain MPEG video? What kind of video and audio does it contain? If you don't know, post the text file from MediaInfo.

Furthermore, FFMPEG MUST be part of the tool chain. It gives me the most control over the VOB creation, allowing me to manually create very high quality VOB files (simply by using the command line switch -b:v 8000k to set the bit rate to 8000 kbps for example) instead of whatever low quality defaults might be used in free DVD authoring software...
    That's utter nonsense. Use AvsToDVD and choose the HC-Enc MPEG encoder for the job.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by Videogamer555 View Post
    Except that AVI doesn't contain MPEG video? What kind of video and audio does it contain? If you don't know, post the text file from MediaInfo.
    The AVI file is converted (reencoded) to MPEG2 when the running FFMPEG with the following commandline:
    "ffmpeg.exe -i testin.avi -f dvd VTS_01_1.VOB"

It detects the desired output file type is VOB (based on file extension and requested format type), and requested format is DVD (so it knows to configure the output VOB file for DVD use instead of SVCD use). This also means it knows it needs to use the MPEG2VIDEO encoder, so it uses that to compress the raw AVI video with the MPEG2 video codec, and then muxes this converted video stream into a VOB file as the container, and configures the headers in the VOB file to make it compatible with the DVD standard. Internally the process is entirely automated, once this command line is used, so the output VOB file SHOULD be compatible with the DVD standard. Except it's not working correctly, and I'm having the problem I mentioned in my first post.

Could you assist me with maybe creating a working command line for FFMPEG to do this conversion properly?
    Also, I realize it's entirely possible that it's not the VOB file that's broken, but rather the IFO and BUP files output from IFOEDIT that could be the problem. So please let me know if I need to do something other than accept the default settings in IFOEDIT (which is what I've been doing), in order to get files suitable for directly burning to a DVD.
    If something other than IFOEDIT would work better for this step, please let me know.
    Last edited by Videogamer555; 28th Aug 2019 at 21:59.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Videogamer555 View Post
    ...and I'm having the problem I mentioned in my first post.
    Again, please post what MediaInfo has to say about it. For the VOB, please.

If something other than IFOEDIT would work better for this step, please let me know.
    Your whole work flow is screwy. Ordinarily, one creates the DVD-compliant M2V video and DVD-compliant audio, and opens them in Muxman to create a valid DVD playable in all players. No one uses IFOEdit any longer. It was obsolete 10 years ago and Muxman is a way better authoring program. And HCEnc is a better MPEG-2 Encoder than ffmpeg's. I suggested doing the entire thing through AvsToDVD because it'll do a better job than you are. And the result will play in a DVD player. And you can set the max bitrates and many other things, if you know what you're doing.

Perhaps someone else will come along to help with ffmpeg.
    Quote Quote  
  5. For FFMPEG you could use DVDStyler. You can choose bitrate, CBR, 1- or 2-pass. To have it without menu use a pre-command to a menu that jumps to title 1.
    Quote Quote