VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I bought one of these a while back and it seems to work just fine. I just can't find anyone that has one. Also, the LG site has the wrong info saying it has Lightscribe and it does not. I knew that when I bought it but others have complained on purchase reviews about that. The WH14NS40 is the OEM version of the Retail BH14NS40. The OEM doesn't come with software, otherwise they are the same drive.

So, any words of wisdom or other useful information from other owners?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I used to be a big supporter of Lighscribe years ago, but it eventually ruined all 3 drives I bought that supported it. Dual layer DVD burning is the first thing to go. Then you won't be able to burn either CDs or single layer DVDs, but the other will work. So count your blessings that you don't have Lightscribe. And despite being stored in temperature controlled conditions and away from direct sunlight, many of my Lightscribe labels are fading into nothingness.

If you have specific questions or problems you can ask, but your post is really pretty vague. I can tell you from personal experience that my LG BD drive absolutely hates BD-R LTH media. I've also got a Pioneer BD burner (don't remember the model as it's 2 years old and they don't make it anymore anyway) and it's a much better drive. So avoid BD-R LTH discs with your drives. I mostly use the LG for ripping and the Pioneer for burning. LG isn't very interested in releasing firmware updates for any of their drives, so you need to be aware of that. If you have an issue that needs fixing, it probably won't be fixed. The LTH issue is one example.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply. No, I don't miss or need Lightscribe. I've bought Lite-on drives for years. This was only $60 and seems to be a decent drive but I hear you on firmware updates! It will not do bit setting or quality scans. I didn't know LG doesn't release many updates because when I was looking at some disk compatibility charts I seen other LG drives listed that had updates. May be my last LG so I'm hoping it works for a long time.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    My LG drive is basically fine but the LTH issue is a super big deal to me as I buy that type of disc for cost reasons and it is a major nuisance that I have no choice but to use my Pioneer drive to burn or play those discs.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Which LG do you have? Is the LTH an issue on the new 14x LG's? I have not tried any LTH disks yet. Looks like I might need to.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yankee64 View Post
    Hello,

I bought one of these a while back and it seems to work just fine. I just can't find anyone that has one. Also, the LG site has the wrong info saying it has Lightscribe and it does not. I knew that when I bought it but others have complained on purchase reviews about that. The WH14NS40 is the OEM version of the Retail BH14NS40. The OEM doesn't come with software, otherwise they are the same drive.

So, any words of wisdom or other useful information from other owners?

Bull$hit, only LS drives have Lightscribe support!!
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just bought the LG BH14NS40 (this is the retails version which comes with some software as well as a SATA cable etc.) and so far it has been working well for me. I've burned 8 BD-R (BD25) discs without issues. The discs I used are 6x Verbatim (I got the discs and the drive from the AMAZON.COM website).

I haven't had the drive long so I haven't done much else with it. I did try to burn some DVD+R DL discs that I have and it had problems with 2 out of 4 but these are crappy discs that even my old CD/DVD burner had issues with.

I've tested the BD-R (BD25) discs on my PS3 and they play back perfectly.

Please note the drive burns at 6x if I lock it to that but if I select AWS/MAX in ImageBurn then it ramps and gets up to about 12x (average was 8x) but I only did that twice. To be safe I'll stick to 6x since that is what the discs are rated at.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I own one of these as well (BH14NS40). No issues with any type of media burns so far. This uses a different chipset than older LG's. It's also a great drive for CD ripping as it supports C2 pointers correctly. As for ripping encrypted BD discs, I've noticed it caps out at around 6x. Hoping Media Code Speed Edit will have an update to include this drive for faster BD rips.

A_L
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hey Arnold_Layne, have you found any "cheap" media that works well with this drive?

For instance I have some Ritek Ridata DVD +R DL discs that were cheap but my old LG and now this LG are not very keen on burning them.
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives View Post
    Hey Arnold_Layne, have you found any "cheap" media that works well with this drive?

For instance I have some Ritek Ridata DVD +R DL discs that were cheap but my old LG and now this LG are not very keen on burning them.
    I have Verbatim DVD+R DL and Memorex, but I've not tried the Memorex on the LG yet.

A_L
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I bought a 5-pack of Memorex DVD+R DL discs twice in stores and they all burned A-OK on my old LG but then I bought a 30 pack once (again from a retail store) and it was a totally different Media Code and I had a lot of trouble burning them (again on the old LG burner).

All I've tried on the new LG burner (the one in question here) are Verbatim 6x BD-R and the Ritek Ridata DVD+R DL discs (the Verbatims burn great the Ritek not so great).
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives View Post
    I bought a 5-pack of Memorex DVD+R DL discs twice in stores and they all burned A-OK on my old LG but then I bought a 30 pack once (again from a retail store) and it was a totally different Media Code and I had a lot of trouble burning them (again on the old LG burner).

All I've tried on the new LG burner (the one in question here) are Verbatim 6x BD-R and the Ritek Ridata DVD+R DL discs (the Verbatims burn great the Ritek not so great).
    I use Verbatim 6X BR (Not the LTH type) on my LG as well. Never a problem. I have some other cheap DVD media I've not tried yet. Sony DVD-R and TDK DVD+R. I'd have to check the ID codes on these and see how they burn in the new LG.

A_L
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I guess what I am saying is that I need cheap DVD+R DL discs that work well in this drive. But maybe I should just stick to Verbatim DVD+R DL and pay the extra money and have shit that just works LOL
    Quote Quote  
  14. I just got one of these drives yesterday . So far these cheap discs have been working good .

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182258
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by THE RIPPER View Post
    I just got one of these drives yesterday . So far these cheap discs have been working good .

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182258
    What's the media code on these?
    Quote Quote  
  16. What app to check this ? Running win7 64 .
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  18. Disc ID: PHILIP-R04-000
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info. I might have to buy a pack!
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    I used to be a big supporter of Lighscribe years ago, but it eventually ruined all 3 drives I bought that supported it. Dual layer DVD burning is the first thing to go. Then you won't be able to burn either CDs or single layer DVDs, but the other will work. So count your blessings that you don't have Lightscribe. And despite being stored in temperature controlled conditions and away from direct sunlight, many of my Lightscribe labels are fading into nothingness.

If you have specific questions or problems you can ask, but your post is really pretty vague. I can tell you from personal experience that my LG BD drive absolutely hates BD-R LTH media. I've also got a Pioneer BD burner (don't remember the model as it's 2 years old and they don't make it anymore anyway) and it's a much better drive. So avoid BD-R LTH discs with your drives. I mostly use the LG for ripping and the Pioneer for burning. LG isn't very interested in releasing firmware updates for any of their drives, so you need to be aware of that. If you have an issue that needs fixing, it probably won't be fixed. The LTH issue is one example.
    I bought the same drive at Micro Center to replace an earlier LG BD burner, and I wish I had known about the LTH issue before I bought it. I went through nearly an entire Verbatim 20-pack. Only five discs out of the pack didn't end up as coasters. They would burn all right, but the burns would be unreadable.

I decided to go with a 25-pack of ValueDiscs from Micro Center. Best value I've ever seen. They cost the same as the Verbatim LTH's ($15 @ Micro Center in Chicago), but you get five more discs for the same price, plus I managed to get excellent burns at 12x, twice what they're rated at. I only had one coaster out of the bunch, but to be fair, that was a pretty spectacular failure. The disc actually cracked almost in half, and the only way I could get it out of the drive was to unplug the computer and use the old paperclip-in-the-emergency-eject-hole trick. The drive survived it, and it still likes the ValueDiscs, but I now burn them at 8x instead.
    Quote Quote