VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I've been using Verbatim DVD+R DL discs for a long time and never had a problem. Last night I picked up a 20 disc package and some of my DVD players won't recognize them. This is after returning a 25 pack of Memorex that also wouldn't work.

They will work in my BD Player: Panasonic DMP-BD55 and also in my DVD Recorder: Sony RDR-GX330.
    They will not work in my DVD Jukebox: Sony DVP-CX995V or in my JVC XV-D721.

The Verbatim discs I used in the past would play in any of these players. Any idea why the new ones don't work? And how can I tell before purchasing them as it's a royal pain trying to get them to take back opened packages?

Thanks for any help.
    .....Gord
    Outside a dog a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog it's too dark to read.
    ------------ Groucho Marx
    Quote Quote  
  2. Sony players are notorious for being picky, it's possible that your writer is wearing out and is creating a lot of errors.
    Use Nero CD-DVD Speed to check.
    BTW: Verbatim made in Singapore is better than the ones made in India, read the fine print on the plastic wrapper.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK View Post
    Sony players are notorious for being picky, it's possible that your writer is wearing out and is creating a lot of errors.
    Use Nero CD-DVD Speed to check.
    Thanks MOVIEGEEK!!! I'll check that out tonight.
    .....Gord
    Outside a dog a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog it's too dark to read.
    ------------ Groucho Marx
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The ONLY reliable DL media is Verbatim DVD+R DL - period. Whether they are as good as they used to be or not is debatable, but even "bad" Verbatims are better than everyone else's "good" DL media.

If you buy DL discs at the 8x-10x speed, they are only made in Singapore. The lower the speed on your DL discs, the more likely they are made in India with the exception of the 2.4x DataLifePlus discs which are only made in Singapore. I don't personally put a lot of stock in disc scans and I almost never do it, but for whatever it's worth Made in India DL discs seem somewhat inferior according to disc scans on my PC when compared to the Made in Singapore discs. Any spindle below 8x-10x could be made in India or Singapore. My guess is that you've probably got some Made in India discs, but really you don't have any choice. Verbatim is as good as it gets even if they (maybe) are not always as good as they once were for DL media.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The media from India are fine, made exactly the same as from Singapore and UAE. List of best blank discs

The more likely problem is your burner has developed problems.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    The more likely problem is your burner has developed problems.
    OR... maybe his players are "getting too old"...
    Quote Quote  
  7. I used to have a program that showed where the disk was made, i.e. MIS, MII, MIT, etc.

Anyone know the name of that program?

I have programs that show the type of disk, i.e. TY002, but I want to see where it's made.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Slowburn View Post
    I used to have a program that showed where the disk was made, i.e. MIS, MII, MIT, etc.

Anyone know the name of that program?

I have programs that show the type of disk, i.e. TY002, but I want to see where it's made.

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/my_site/download.php
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks, Moviegeek, I tried that program and others. I tried it on Verbatim DL and Taiyo Yuden disks that I use.
    Verbatims show the company info only (MKM) and TY show the same and type (TYG02). Neither show the data regarding the country they were made in, like MIS or MII.

The little program I used to have showed that but I'm darned if I can remember what it was called.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Slowburn View Post
    Thanks, Moviegeek, I tried that program and others. I tried it on Verbatim DL and Taiyo Yuden disks that I use.
    Verbatims show the company info only (MKM) and TY show the same and type (TYG02). Neither show the data regarding the country they were made in, like MIS or MII.

The little program I used to have showed that but I'm darned if I can remember what it was called.
    I think that some of your assumptions are probably wrong, but to be fair what I am going to tell you is 100% an assumption on my part and I could be wrong.

My assumption is that the manufacturer ID info stuff that programs like DVD Identifier read does not contain country of manufacture information. It only contains manufacturer codes. If I am right, then whatever the program was that you used in the past, it probably just had a small internal database that it cross referenced with manufacturer ID numbers and said where it thinks the disc was made. So if a manufacturer uses the same ID numbers in different countries (I am assuming that such can be done), then programs like the one you used aren't really as accurate as you think they are. At some point the information in the database will simply be wrong due to being out of date.
    Quote Quote  
  11. You're probably right, jman98. What I did find tucked away here was an old copy of DVInfoPro, a time trial version which is now out of date. That may have been the program, but I can't be sure. Judging by the links in the program, you are probably right about a small database in the program itself. Looks like they refer you back to their website now to check the codes, etc. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For single layer you could find the real manufacturer from the first inner ring code. If you see MAPXXX it is made in Taiwan by CMC (DVD-R), if you see PAP it is also made by CMC but is DVD+R.

MAPA18LG29165269 5 Made in Taiwan by CMC (first "M" = DVD-R)
    PAPA30LK04150643 1 Made in Taiwan by CMC (first "P" = DVD+R

7279 541 -RF A26473 Made in India by Moser Baer India

7180E2923+12550E04 Made In Taiwan by Prodisc (+ in the midle = DVD+R)
    7175E3723-02955E20 Made In Taiwan by Prodisc (- in the midle = DVD-R)

DVInfoPro or DVD Indentifier cant tell the real manufacturer because DVD unit can`t read the inner ring code. These programs can see the codes which belong to a brand name. Today Verbatim can be also made in UAE by Falcon or China.
    For Verbatim Dual layer I don`t know a way with inner ring code to determine the real manufacturer. The country of origin can be found from fine print on the package.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    hi
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I regularly use DVD+R DLs regularly, but where I am, I'd be lucky to get Verbatims once in a blue moon. I mostly get Memorex and Imation (made anywhere from India to the Republic of Minerva). I've found out a pattern, though: these discs are mostly OK, and when I get increasing errors on finished discs (they don't play or have corrupt data, despite valid finished status from ImageBurn), then it means the DVD-rewriter is on its last legs and has to be replaced. They do die, especially when heavily used (a few DVD+R DLs a day?). At only about US$20 each, IMHO it's not too much to ask even if I have to do it twice or thrice a year.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Slowburn View Post
    Thanks, Moviegeek, I tried that program and others. I tried it on Verbatim DL and Taiyo Yuden disks that I use.

You're confused. No such program exists. It would be guessing, at best. MCC, for example, is made in many places.

Read the package for MIS, MII, MIT, etc.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote