VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Any suggestions on Freeware that supports bitrate conversion of mp3's. mp3's variable bit rates to mp3 320kbs. Like the site https://convertio.co. Does it make that much difference?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Converting mp3 to mp3 can only reduce the quality. The only reason to convert VBR to CBR is if you have very old hardware that doesn't support VBR.
    Quote Quote  
  3. ok that helps. I did not notice a difference. I have a Folder it contains both CBR/VBR. This folder contains .mp3 from a collection. They sound good. Bitrates are 128-233. All different numbers in-between none that are really recognizable. They list as these bit rates but don't sound like them. But I could be wrong, just don't understand why some list 128kb or 202kb and sound as good as most at 320?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Not all mp3 encoders are created the equal. Some do much better than others. The files that sound bad may have been reencoded from even lower bitrate sources or other codecs. Or maybe they just come crappy sources.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Much depends also on the source content - band-limited, repetitive stuff takes a whole lot less bits to sound good than wide-band, detailed, more randomized sound stuff.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Maybe you are familiar with the collection of XXL's Dr. Dre Beats. There are 50 tracks. I compared 1 or 2 to original tracks at 320kbs from a different source. I never said these songs sounded bad. They all sound good, just wondering why Windows reflects such a widespread of bitrates within the common "collection" or file(s). Which don't sound any different from 128 vs 320. I did not test the VBR ex. 202kbs or any others. Most files in my experience with all my mp3's besides this collection and ones from youtube converter don't reflect the sound quality that 320kbs does and songs at 128kbs or VBR are consistently bad. I have spent time recollecting 320kbs and do notice a great difference in most just not these. Anyone notice with Itunes that it will not accept HQ tracks anymore? Those are even better at 192, than any mp3 I've ever heard.
    Last edited by forsure; 1st Dec 2021 at 14:45.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Not all mp3 encoders are created the equal. Some do much better than others. The files that sound bad may have been reencoded from even lower bitrate sources or other codecs. Or maybe they just come crappy sources.
    I grabbed the Dolby Vision version of The Matrix as well as the HDR. I have tried a DV file in the past. "It only works on specific players". I have Google Chromecast and use KODI for playback of my files. When GC boots up it flashes Dolby Vision/HDR. Do you know if KODi is the problem with DV files? HDR files look nice.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by forsure View Post
    I have Google Chromecast and use KODI for playback of my files. When GC boots up it flashes Dolby Vision/HDR. Do you know if KODi is the problem with DV files?
    What's the problem? The deinterlacing with Kodi isn't the greatest. It looks similar to Yadif with the same buzzing edges and pixel droppings. Like most software's and HDTV's deinterlacing.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by forsure View Post
    I have Google Chromecast and use KODI for playback of my files. When GC boots up it flashes Dolby Vision/HDR. Do you know if KODi is the problem with DV files?
    What's the problem? The deinterlacing with Kodi isn't the greatest. It looks similar to Yadif with the same buzzing edges and pixel droppings. Like most software's and HDTV's deinterlacing.
    Kodi is cool. It's only $50. I just learned today that my $300 tv has an internal media player that will playback Dolby Vision as well as all my other .mkv and .mp4 videos. Long story short, never needed Google Chromecast.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by forsure View Post
    Kodi is cool. It's only $50.
    Kodi is free (and open source). The Chromecast with Google TV is $50 ($40 on sale now). I recently discovered the Onn AndroidTV media player at Walmart. It's almost as good as the the Chromecast and is less than $20 now.

I just learned today that my $300 tv has an internal media player that will playback Dolby Vision as well as all my other .mkv and .mp4 videos. Long story short, never needed Google Chromecast.
    Fortunate for you! I bet it doesn't play DV AVI though.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Kodi is cool. It's only $50.
    Kodi is free (and open source). The Chromecast with Google TV is $50 ($40 on sale now). I recently discovered the Onn AndroidTV media player at Walmart. It's almost as good as the the Chromecast and is less than $20 now.

I just learned today that my $300 tv has an internal media player that will playback Dolby Vision as well as all my other .mkv and .mp4 videos. Long story short, never needed Google Chromecast.
    Fortunate for you! I bet it doesn't play DV AVI though.
    Fortunate? We spent how many hours getting GC/KODI to work? Just to now see that I had the capability all along. The Hisense media player reads all HDR files and displays HDR logo in top right corner as well as picture settings. True HDR, rather than overlay. It's different. What do you mean? The file is .mp4. AVI is so old.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by forsure View Post
    What do you mean? The file is .mp4. AVI is so old.
    Sorry, I misinterpreted your reference to "DV". I thought you were referring to the old DV codec (usually found in the AVI container). I realize now you meant Dolby Vision HDR.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dv
    https://www.dolby.com/technologies/dolby-vision/
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    What do you mean? The file is .mp4. AVI is so old.
    Sorry, I misinterpreted your reference to "DV". I thought you were referring to the old DV codec (usually found in the AVI container). I realize now you meant Dolby Vision HDR.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dv
    https://www.dolby.com/technologies/dolby-vision/
    My $300 tv keeps getting better..sorry u had to go usuallyquiet
    Quote Quote  
  14. Yes, I remember your long travails getting high bitrate HDR working on the Chromecast. By the way, we finally got a 4K HDR TV. When I connected the Chromecast to that TV all the problems I had before went away. All the HDR files played smoothly. Except the AV1 videos -- which was expected because it doesn't have an AV1 decoder.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Yes, I remember your long travails getting high bitrate HDR working on the Chromecast. By the way, we finally got a 4K HDR TV. When I connected the Chromecast to that TV all the problems I had before went away. All the HDR files played smoothly. Except the AV1 videos -- which was expected because it doesn't have an AV1 decoder.
    Why would HDR files work smoothly on a non HDR TV? I am not fortunate. You Jake and the rest of this short to be lived planet were fortunate at one time or another to be given life by me 7. For a tech you and whomever could have saved me a whole lot of time and aggravation. That is just your nature Jake. Hence, the reason we probably won't be friends.
    Quote Quote