VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello all, I have a brand new PC that i installed a brand new HP dvd1270i multi-format optical burner that has the LightScribe feature. Last night i burned my first DVD with it. It was so LOUD i could hear it in the living room watching the TV!!! I raced into the bedroom and the computer was vibrating something fierce. It does not do that while playing media, just when burning. Also, i have the burn speed set at a rather low 4x. All the reviews on the site were i bought it were mostly 5 of 5 stars, and none mentioned vibration issues. I took the covers off the PC and checked to see if it was loose, but it was in there snug. Any thoughts?? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds crazy but possibly 4x is too slow for the blank media.

I use 16x media and always burn at 8x

Can not comment on the lightscribe element but, again, possiblly, 4x is too fast. Check your drive's manual.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think i found out what the problem was. Even though i set DVDFlick to 4x burning, the burning software, ImgBurn was set to max at 56x!!!
    I reset it at a lower speed and it sounds much quieter now! Whew, that was scary!!
    On my old XP based computer whatever i set the burn speed to in DVDFlick to, ImgBurn seemed to be the same, but this new PC with Windows 7 acts wierd sometimes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I have never set imgburn to 'Max'. It was my understanding that the program would read the write speed of the media (AFAIK it reports my Verbatim disks as 6x,8x,12x and 16x) and set the max speed, in this example 16x, from that.

If it is reading the write speed of the disks incorrectly then it is either due to incompatable media or the drive itself is faulty. Imgburn I would hardly suspect to be the villain here.

You could test that by putting a blank disk in and fire up imgburn on its own. What does it report ?
    Last edited by DB83; 12th Oct 2012 at 12:49. Reason: addit info sought.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did NOT set it at 56x, thats how it was already set after installing the program, i first used it last night.
    When it was installed on my old XP computer it would burn at the speed i had DVDFlick set at.
    Oh, i did not know that differing media itself would "have" differing write speeds.
    I thought most of the burning programs had better results at different settings, (some higher/some lower) and that it was not media dependent.
    Ok, did not know you could do that with imgburn.
    Ok, just did that, i got the same results you did. verbatim lightscribe media also.
    You can see how i have it set now to 4x
    I am using imgburn because i was having difficulty on my old XP machine with my Audiophile program JriversMediacenter, with which i was doing all my CD/DVD burning. It works best at 4x, and i never knew it to be media dependent.
    I just ran a small test where i had DVDFlick only convert and authorize 4 YouTube clips, and had my JRMC burn it, this time it worked good, so i will not be using imgburn now except in an emergency.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SP32-20121012-141228.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	14220  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. But from that report your media is not supported for 4x burning.

Ultimately, it is your decision as to what program you use for burning but take some time to read these forums and you will see that the majority of members on here use imgburn.

In your situation, I would use dvdflick, or whatever, to do the authoring and allow that program to create the folders or the iso whatever it allows. Then use imgburn independently by importing the folders/iso for the burn - at a speed that imgburn suggests rather than allow dvdflick to do it.

There is clearly a compatability issue here but if your media is not supported for 4x burning who knows what harm is being done if you deliberately use that setting.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's Good advice. I do like imgburn, but was puzzled why my preferred program would not burn DVD's anymore. That's how i got hooked up with this forum, and eventually got to use DVDFlick & imgburn. I believe my old PC was dying, and i would probably have had to do a clean install of the OS and then all my software for it to run properly. But, now i have my new Windows 7 machine and that first burn scared the *&^% out of me!! It makes me wonder if the newer OS is causing a compatibility issue.
    So, i will do as you suggest and run them separately. And I will adjust imgburn to 6x. I feel generally (hopefully correctly) that slower burning produces better results. I think i will open a new thread about media and burning speed.
    Thank you, I really appreciate all the help from 'ovr-the-pond!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    From my experience, and others too, slower burns do not produce better results. They produce more consistent results. That is to say when you burn slower there is less data per second to access from your HDD etc. So less chance for error and coasters.

I believe there are several topics on here about media and burning speed so do look for those rather than start another one. Ultimately, of course it comes down to the quality of the media. The addage goes - rubbish in = rubbish out
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I do believe I've got a lot to learn about the subject!

Alright, i guess better to read everything that's been written first

Now were did i leave my beer......
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    From what you can see from your own screenshot of the imgburn log is that you cannot burn that media slower than 6x!

It's up to you how to set up & use a burning prog. This shouldnt be any problem even more because imgburn is free and superb.
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, that is correct. I am in the process of studying the tutorials on this subject available on this forum now. I seem to have alot to learn about the process.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would burn those at 12x or 8x anyway.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, thanks LordSmurf! I read like 10 articles this morning, i think my eyes are hurting! That's how i ended up posting on the other thread about fake media
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've had this happen many times in the old days. What you had was a runaway drive. It can be caused by many things, but basically the drive lost track of the disc. It could be media compatibility (including a bad disc), software compatibility (misinterpreted software command) bad cabling, a glitchy drive controller, trying to burn copies of protected discs and so on...

You just need to be mindful of your activities when it happens and try to isolate the problem. I doubt it's a hardware failure, but it could be a sketchy drive. Just keep an eye on it until you nail it down.

EDIT: Wow, I must be really tired. I forgot to check how old this thread is before replying. Sorry Guys & Gals.

Sent from my  iPad 3
    Last edited by crjackson; 17th May 2013 at 01:42.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yeoldmetalhead228 View Post
    I think i found out what the problem was. Even though i set DVDFlick to 4x burning, the burning software, ImgBurn was set to max at 56x!!!
    I reset it at a lower speed and it sounds much quieter now! Whew, that was scary!!
    On my old XP based computer whatever i set the burn speed to in DVDFlick to, ImgBurn seemed to be the same, but this new PC with Windows 7 acts wierd sometimes.
    You alone set that speed...........so.
    56x can be for CD-R only anyway.
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote