VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. i have been using TMPGEnc for this for decades, but they keep adding new unnecessary bulk to their program. and also, it is expensive as heck! i know that there are many free options out there, and i have tried most of them at this point, but there are rare scenarios in which they will not work for the source VOBs i feed them.

to explain further, my sources often vary wildly from each other. everything from unencrypted DVDs, to old Sony Handcam mini DVDs, to old DVD Recorder finalized discs, and more. but whenever i try to use a free tool, it seems like there is some issue with the resulting MPG file, that it won't load into whatever program i need it to without throwing a hissy fit. whether that program is something like Sony DVD Architect or just some other freeware like DVD Styler.

also, SOME of these VOBs may have multiple audio streams, and many demuxers don't give you an option of what to demux/mux. it's all or nothing, and many only support demuxing a single audio source.

so i am curious what the de facto standard software (free or paid) was that most of you use now. the newest article i could find (even on Google) was from 2013, so i am not sure if that is even still accurate, as even the old version of TMPGEnc that i currently use is newer than that.

just looking for a concensus. thanks.
    Last edited by darkflux; 1st Dec 2021 at 06:42.
    darkflux
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try clever Ffmpeg-GUI, freeware and simple to use.
    Quote Quote  
  3. DGIndex. File->Save Project and Demux Video.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Try clever Ffmpeg-GUI, freeware and simple to use.
    clever FFmpeg-GUI doesn't look like it demuxes video as much as it extracts it to a separate VOB file. it also cannot mux AC3 into an MPG file, despite the fact that that is a totally acceptable thing.

Originally Posted by manono View Post
    DGIndex. File->Save Project and Demux Video.
    DGIndex demuxes but won't remux.
    darkflux
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by darkflux View Post
    Then use ImagoMPEG-Muxer afterwards. Why would it remux something that's already muxed (the original DVD)?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by darkflux View Post
    clever FFmpeg-GUI doesn't look like it demuxes video as much as it extracts it to a separate VOB file. it also cannot mux AC3 into an MPG file, despite the fact that that is a totally acceptable thing.
    For simplicity, and also to get some stream information (e.g. duration), clever FFmpeg GUI extracts the video streams into the source container.
    You can use this new file for muxing as videostream or for editing, so you have no disadvantages.
    If you prefer another container, just mux the video stream only into it (e.g. VOB video stream into mpg container).
    Muxing Ac3 into mpg container has been integrated in the latest beta.
    Try it out.
    https://files.videohelp.com/u/292773/clever_ffmpeg_gui_newest_beta.7z
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by darkflux View Post
    Then use ImagoMPEG-Muxer afterwards. Why would it remux something that's already muxed (the original DVD)?
    ...i guess i didn't explicitly mention what i am trying to do in my original post.

i am taking a VOB file (or a set of VOB files, in some cases), not necessarily still on a DVD disc, and demuxing them into their elementary streams. then remuxing them into MPG files, that i can feed into some other program, which may not support VOB files.

so i need a VOB FILE demuxer (not just DVD disc) that can remux MPEG-2 video (.m2v) and audio files (.ac3 or sometimes .wav) into an MPEG-2 Program Stream (.mpg).

TMPGEnc can do this, but i am checking what other people usually use nowadays for such tasks. it's fine if it can make an MPG file from a VOB directly, but it needs to let you choose the audio stream, too. it's also fine if you use multiple programs to demux/remux, i am just looking to see what people recommend for what i am trying to do.

Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    clever FFmpeg-GUI doesn't look like it demuxes video as much as it extracts it to a separate VOB file.

Muxing Ac3 into mpg container has been integrated in the latest beta.
    https://files.videohelp.com/u/292773/clever_ffmpeg_gui_newest_beta.7z

wow, only just NOW supporting AC3? how long has AC3 been around now?

thanks for your answer, the DGIndex Beta looks useful. and very FREE!
    darkflux
    Quote Quote  
  8. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by darkflux
    it's also fine if you use multiple programs to demux/remux, i am just looking to see what people recommend for what i am trying to do.
    Have you ever tried mplex from the MJPEG Tools
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mplex-usage.png
Views:	24
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	62145  

"Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by darkflux View Post
    wow, only just NOW supporting AC3? how long has AC3 been around now?
    There is no need to be sarcastic.
    mpg and vob are containers that are no longer used by many.
    also, the standard mpg muxer of ffmpeg does not support ac3.
    Last edited by ProWo; 4th Dec 2021 at 09:29.
    Quote Quote