VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I want to upgrade RAM Memory from 8 GB to 16 GB ( Adding a new component 8 GB ).

It's a DDR4, 2133 MHz but I don't know the mark of the installed RAM.

Is it absolutelly necessary that the mark of the new memory is the same that the already installed?

Thanks for your advice.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Download CPU-Z (Freeware)
    Start it and look up Memory and then SPD for detailed information. There you can see the manufacturer of the DIMMs and also the manufacturer of the used RAM modules on the DIMMs. You get also the partnumber of the DIMMs

Are you sure you are running 2133 MHz? This is normally only the base frequency and after enabling XMP it has the full 3200, 3600, or more MHz
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you flashandpan007.

May I conclude I cannot use two memories of different manufacturers? Is that a grave option?
    Quote Quote  
  4. You can, but I don't recommend it.
    I could look for an 16 GB Kit for you which will do fine and doesn't cost too much.

A good price/performance kit for example, but remember to enable XMP in the BIOS in your mobo:
    https://geizhals.de/g-skill-aegis-dimm-kit-16gb-f4-3200c16d-16gis-a2151626.html?hloc=de
    Quote Quote  
  5. Depending on the use and my budget at the time, over the years I have built many systems that used memory from different manufactures, different speeds, different timings, different sizes.

I remember on one older system, I needed to get it to 4gb ram (this was years ago), so I out in a 2gb stick and 2x1gb sticks, each with different speeds and timings.

It did what I needed it to do at the time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I have also mixed ram from different manuf. and diff. speeds.

Ultimately it depends on the mb. and you need to read the manual for that - or the online - for specific memory compatabilty.

What I did find for my own system is that faster memory slowed down to be compatable to the slower so the slower had to be in the initial slot(s) else the whole system borked.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I also have built many boxes for years, and can say that while it is often that you can get things to work, it is never as good performance as getting a matched set.
    And, even when it works, with unmatched stick combos there can be minute timing mismatches that occasionally result in weirdness - hangs/freezes, corruption. It seems to all depend on whether the differences between the sticks' specs are near or beyond a system timing threshold. If this is the case, that would support the assertion that it it can work for some combinations but not others.

If you have the budget, I wholeheartedly recommend getting a matched set.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks to all suggestions.
    I'm going to buy a 2nd. 8 GB module from Crucial
    so the manufacturer is the same.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would buy the same exact 8gb ram,buying a 8gb module from the same manufacturer is like buying from any other manufacturer unless its the exact match.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I agree. You want exact same speed, memory structure (DDR...), as well as same mfr.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  11. Make sure that frequency and DDR numbers are same. That's it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Latency and parity checking should certainly also match.

Scott
    Quote Quote