VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I sometimes have videos that have the sync problem, It is always the video lagging behind the audio. Why is that? Is it the software used? User lack of knowledge? Slow computer? What is it? It is always cable broadcast encoding where this happens. It doesn't happen often these days, but back in the early 2000s, happened a a lot.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The video takes more processing power than the audio.
    It's not uncommon for the video to freeze and the audio to continue if part of the system has performance problems.

This can be caused by a slower CPU, a slow video card or the playing software. Try a different software player first.

I would check the video card next and make sure it has up to date drivers if a different software player has no affect.

You can also check your CPU usage in 'Task Manager'. If the CPU is running near 100% during playback, that's a problem.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    My computer and video card are powerful. What happened during the encoding for these early videos? As I said above, it happened occasionally in the early 2000s. Sometimes it still happens, but not often. It's not my system in playback, it is the video product itself.

Was it the software used in the early 2000s, user error, low power CPU/ Video Card?
    Last edited by shokan22; 7th Apr 2016 at 15:58.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You got to do some detective work, process of elimination. Check the task manager, as was suggested
    Try the same files on another PC and/or known good files on this PC.

Are these files something you encoded yourself?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    You got to do some detective work, process of elimination. Check the task manager, as was suggested

I have never have done encoding or will ever do. I just want to know why a lot of videos have video lagging behind audio.As I said above, this doesn't happen often these days, only about ten or fifteen years ago. I think it was lack of CPU power on machines of that time but what do I know?
    Last edited by shokan22; 7th Apr 2016 at 21:23.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What computer specs do you have?I never get any issues with video lagging even when watching a 1080p video and encoding at 100% cpu at the same time.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by shokan22 View Post
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post

I have never have done encoding or will ever do. I just want to know why a lot of videos have video lagging behind audio.As I said above, this doesn't happen often these days, only about ten or fifteen years ago. I think it was lack of CPU power on machines of that time but what do I know?
    in other words, you are playing somebody else's captures and encodes, and you want us to tell you why they are out of sync

try them on another PC, if they play in sync, it your pc can't keep up

if they are still out of sync, then who knows ? why..but probably some mistake in the capture, too high a video bitrate, dropped frames, bad source ?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Somebody's else captures. My PC specs are powerful. These are videos from the early 2000s. I have already said this. All the out-of sync videos are permanently like that. I have tried VLC to correct them once I converted them to avi. but not with much luck. I don't care actually about the out of sync of these videos from 2007-2008. I just want to know how the out of sync happened. What was the problem with the original encoding from cable broadcast? No one here is giving me an answer.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Post your computer specs.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Intel: can't remember, but it cost 600 dollars about three years ago
    mobo: Asus p8Z 77
    Video: GeForce GTX 690
    Power: Corsair1050 watt.

The videos I mentioned also play out of sync also on my little net book. Both my tower and the laptop are fully updated with codecs. It was the original encoding that was the problem. What did that person do wrong 2007-2008? Getting an answer to this is like pulling teeth. The problem is not local, it is the original encoding. What was the problem with encoding the original cable broadcasts?
    Last edited by shokan22; 8th Apr 2016 at 01:04.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The 690 isn't the most powerful video card anymore,my 970 beats it easy,your video card is still good enough for all gaming and video processing ,sounds like the original videos have problems to begin with.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    yes, I know the 690 is not really current anymore. But why do the old videos from 2007-2008 on my netbook play in the exact same out of sync amount of time? Even on Youtube, these very same videos have the same amount of out of sync. The original encoder from cable braodcast had a problem. I just want to know what that was. Inquiring minds want to know
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I have never have done encoding or will ever do.
    I have tried VLC to correct them once I converted them to avi.
    If you keep dishing out information with an eye dropper while contradicting yourself.....you will never get an answer.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Ok I give up. I just wanted to know why video lags behind audio in some old caps that are downloaded and played on good PCs or from YouTube. I did not get an answer. No one knows. I don't think I was contradictory at all. But, anyway,....

Bye.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your right...
    No one knows
    There is no way to know, we don't have a way back machine
    We don't know what went wrong, when it was encoded
    If it is constant half second out , you can adjust that in vlc when playing back
    Old video you don't watch?
    It's a moot point anyway
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by theewizard View Post
    Your right...
    No one knows
    There is no way to know, we don't have a way back machine
    We don't know what went wrong, when it was encoded
    If it is constant half second out , you can adjust that in vlc when playing back
    Old video you don't watch?
    It's a moot point anyway
    Good answer, thewizard. Thank you. Last time I heard someone use "moot point" was quite a while ago. A moot hill in the dark ages was a place where people met in the British Isles for adjudication, a court kind of thing. They also drank a lot and made merry.

Yes, I have converted MP4s, the old videos from Youtube I have mentioned, to avi and have done the the correction of video/audio sync correction in VLC. Sometimes it was as much as a full second.

My guess it was a combination of the encoding software used in the early 2000s plus low machine specs of the capper. The videos were the series called Time Team, produced by Tim Taylor and ran from 1994 to 2013. There were only a couple of years, 2007- 8 where the capper screwed up with a few episodes. All these episodes are available on YouTube. and also from Channel Four (UK) in DVD format which I recommend for better video quality.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by shokan22; 8th Apr 2016 at 16:30. Reason: added
    Quote Quote