VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay so I'm not really sure if this topic should be in this category, so to the moderators, please do move this thread to the proper category if that's the case.

So here's the problem. I'm not really sure why, or maybe it's just that I don't know much about Windows 7. I can't get Virtualdub or VirtualDubMOD to work on Windows 7. Before when I was still using XP, everything was alright, but I had to buy another laptop 'cause something happened to its LCD.

Whenever I use Avisynth with VD or VDMOD to put in MKV files and convert the to xvid, there's no problem with the video output. The problem is that whenever I'm going to compress the file's audio to mp3 or any other format, there are no options in the box beside the list of codecs installed.

Now when I use the DirectShow driver input for VD to put in MKV files, there's no problem with compressing the audio to other formats, but then the video output keeps on repeating frames (a specific frame keeps on appearing). I really don't know why that happens.

Also I tried demuxing the audio using VDMod, 'cause I was thinking of using a new file (not the one that's with the file but the demuxed one and I'm going to convert it to mp3) with the file and then proceed with the conversion. But the wav output was very bad and it's very fast.

So please kindly help me here and if there's anyone who's having (or has experienced) the same problem, your responses will be greatly appreciated.

Okay, not that I'm dismissing the suggestions that you're going to give to me, but it would be greatly appreciated if those suggestons are related to VD or VDMOD and not other video editing/converting software, 'cause for me it's easier to use the said two softwares.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Audio -> Full Processing
    Audio -> Conversion... convert to something that's compatible with your MP3 encoder. For example, 48 KHz, 16 bit, stereo, high quality.

Here's a video with 4 channel audio:
    Name:  4ch.png
Views: 2415
Size:  18.6 KB

The mp3 encoder doesn't support 4 channel audio so it shows no options:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	bad.png
Views:	1785
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	9420

After converting the audio to stereo you can see supported options:

Name:	good.png
Views:	1750
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	9421
    Last edited by jagabo; 30th Oct 2011 at 06:29.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    how do I determine the number of channels of the audio inside the file? it's an mkv file.

-- oh wait, lemme try that first.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    oops another error.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	1458
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	9423  

Quote Quote  
  5. Set your AC3/AAC ACM decoder to downmix to stereo.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    don't see any "downmix". it is the output? cause if it is, i already tried that and still, the error shows.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm talking about the system installed ACM AC3 decoder. It will have a a downmix option. I don't have one installed right now but here's an example from ffdshow's AC3 decoder:

Name:	ac3.png
Views:	1755
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	9437
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well yeah, mine's the same, but keeps on showing that error box.
    Quote Quote  
  9. ffdshow is directshow decoder (not used by vdub unless you load through directshow). He was using that as an illustration of something similar you should look for in your ac3 acm decoder

Whenever I use Avisynth with VD or VDMOD to put in MKV files and convert the to xvid, there's no problem with the video output. The problem is that whenever I'm going to compress the file's audio to mp3 or any other format, there are no options in the box beside the list of codecs installed.
    since loading with avisynth has no problems you can downmix the audio in the script

e.g. (I''m assuming this is 5.1 audio source)

Code:
    a=ffaudiosource("video.mkv")

fl = GetChannel(a, 1)
    fr = GetChannel(a, 2)
    c = GetChannel(a, 3)
    lfe = GetChannel(a, 4)
    sl = GetChannel(a, 5)
    sr = GetChannel(a, 6)
    l_sl = MixAudio(fl, sl, 0.2929, 0.2929)
    c_lfe = MixAudio(lfe, c, 0.2071, 0.2071)
    r_sr = MixAudio(fr, sr, 0.2929, 0.2929)
    l = MixAudio(l_sl, c_lfe, 1.0, 1.0)
    r = MixAudio(r_sr, c_lfe, 1.0, 1.0)
    MergeChannels(l, r)

audio=last

video=ffvideosource("video.mkv")

audiodub(video,audio)
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    okay, can you tell me how to downmix the audio which is a 6-channel aac?
    Quote Quote  
  11. The same way. You can use the same script (I'm assuming the aac is in the mkv)
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    okay, I used the script, but then this error shows up:
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	1468
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	9439  

Quote Quote  
  13. http://code.google.com/p/ffmpegsource/

unzip , place the .dll, .avsi, and .exe in the plugins folder to audioload

This is better than directshow, because directshow isn't necessarily frame accurate and can cause problems (like on your system right now) . ffms2 doesn't rely on system installed codecs for decoding.

If you cleaned up your directshow filters, it should work too with directshowsource() or vdub directshow plugin. Then you could use ffdshow as in the screenshot above to downmix. You would need preferred filter tweaker for this on windows7
    https://www.videohelp.com/tools/Preferred-Filter-Tweaker
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    okay, I don't know how to use that. never used that before.

-- tried putting the dll in avisynth's plugin folder, but then virtualdub's not responding after using the script.
    Quote Quote  
  15. There should be other programs that are easier to use and do all this for you, something like xvid4psp or megui. You're not necessarily exposed to some of the avisynth code directly, but they rely on the same thing. They also come with some of the plugins
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by thedarkinvader View Post
    -- tried putting the dll in avisynth's plugin folder, but then virtualdub's not responding after using the script.
    wait a few seconds, maybe even a few minutes (depending on length of video)

it's indexing the file, that's why its more accurate than directshow
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    http://code.google.com/p/ffmpegsource/

unzip , place the .dll, .avsi, and .exe in the plugins folder to audioload
    You don't really need the .exe (ffindex.exe) - that's a standalone program for creating index files outside Avisynth.
    Even if you want it, the plugins folder is not a good place to put it.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    poisondeathray, no the program stops working, and so Windows 7 stops working on it and finds a solution, blah blah blah.

Anyway, I've found a solution. thanks to those who replied (jagabo, poisondeathray and Gavino).

I was so stupid, didn't think that it was possible. the answer's here actually:

Originally Posted by thedarkinvader View Post

Now when I use the DirectShow driver input for VD to put in MKV files, there's no problem with compressing the audio to other formats, but then the video output keeps on repeating frames (a specific frame keeps on appearing). I really don't know why that happens.
    I dunno why, but it seems that whenever I'm using Avisynth, the audio's not being sent to VD using DirectShow, or something like that. And so here's what I did:

I used Avisynth to put the MKV file in VD, and then click Audio>Audio from other file, and then in the drop down list, use DirectShow driver Input, then select the same file (the MKV) and that's it. I can now compress the audio and it's already in stereo when you use the DirectShow driver Input.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Did you goto your directshow decoder settings and tell it to decode ac3 to 2 stereo? Maybe that will fix it and save you a step. If you are using directshowsource to feed the mnkv into vdub then it will not matter what acm codec u have installed or configured.
    If you want to see what I've done with my videos,
    check out my video work on youtube, http://www.youtube.com/user/duhmez/
    Quote Quote