VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    What would be the easiest ways to convert something recorded on my Panasonic DMR-ES20 to MPEG so I could do some light trimming? Basically I'd like to import into TMPEG DVD Author, trim out the commercials, then reburn. I can think of a couple ways, but everything requires a few different programs, recompression, and such. I'd preferably like to keep the quality and NOT recompress over and over again.

I guess if there's not very straight forward way, I'll simply use my WinTV
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The easiest way, is to get a recorder with editing functions.

Other than that, you have to convert from whatever format your recorder uses into a format that the editor of your choice supports.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Guest
    Tmpgenc dvd author, select add dvd video and choose the dvdr/rw.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Test is correct. If you can record to a -R/W AND if you have a computer with a DVD writer AND if you have Tmpgenc dvd author AND if you have enough harddrive space, then use the process he described. This will copy the video to your harddrive in mpeg format. Now you can edit out the commercials - well, sort of. Tmpgenc dvd author will only edit/cut the video within 1/2 second increments so it is not perfect. However, it is fast and easy.

Then TDA will let you create title pages and chapters and create a VOB folder that can be burned to a DVD-R. And your video is not re-converted.

This is the process I use for most of my television captures and it works well enough.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm... Alrighty, I will try this as soon as I get back home to my desktop. I did not realize you could open the disks directly. Can I assume this also works for DVD-RAM disks? My recorder and one of my DVD-Burners support DVD-RAM disks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I gave it a shot and it works! Amazing one can just overlook such buttons I'll do an official test tonight...assuming I don't get all grades of ads and what not along the bottom of the screen.
    Quote Quote  
  7. damn, havent used DVD-Ram for that
    machine?? dont know what ur missssing
    ...gotta get spruce-up to help u out...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Oh I've used a DVD-RAM on it before. I really like it; very similar to a HDD based recorder. I should know, dad has the exact same model I have, but with a 100GB HD in it :P

I just wasn't sure how well they'd work in my computer. My drive can read the disks, but last time I tried, the video glitched and all.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I own an earlier model of Panasonic DVD recorder, the DMR-ES10. Although it's possible that a newer model might behave differently, I would suggest using DVD+/-RW or DVD+/-R if you plan to edit recordings on your PC.

I found recordings on DVD-RAM often had macroblocks, audio synch problems, or other kinds of issues when I edited them. If you must use DVD-RAM, I found results were better if I first formatted the disc on the DMR-ES10 (instead of erasing previously recorded material) and recorded only one "session" per disk using the SP recording mode. DVD-RAM is OK for time shifting TV viewing, but I don't use it for anything else, given a choice.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm... I'll have to try some different decoders and see how DVD-RAM's work. They are wonderful on my recorder, but I spent a few extra bucks on my DVD-RAM drive on my compter build :P

Oh well, nothing wrong with capturing on DVD-RW's for now. I got many more of them anyway
    Quote Quote