VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a 58" Samsung 550 series plasma TV and I have a external hard drive hooked up via usb. The file is in divxHD, it plays fine for 45 minutes or so and then it gets out sync, might get choppy etc.

What could this be?
    Last edited by unhcp; 19th Mar 2012 at 10:31.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    "plays" not "play's"
    "gets" not "get's"

You don't just put an 's at the end of anything you feel like to make plurals in English. In fact, the number of plurals that actually can be made that way is very small. If in doubt, leave it out.

Anyway, with no information provided about your file, I would guess that it's probably a file size issue since you say that this is divxHD. Please note that TVs are NOT "plays anything" devices and the fact that they can play anything at all usually fools consumers into thinking that they are getting a hard core "plays anything" device for free when in fact as you have learned the truth is that TVs are quite restrictive in what they will play. Install MediaInfo and post back what it says about your file as it might help to pinpoint specific problems.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I switched to a usb 2.0 hard drive and it is working again, I think the problem is that my other hard drive has usb 3.0
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    In theory USB 3.0 should drop down to 2.0. It's unlikely but not impossible that this was the problem.

Are either of your drives in enclosures that have their own power supplies? This can be an issue with many playback devices. In fact, it's such an issue that I only buy USB enclosures that come with power supplies.

Finally, do note that TVs are not "plays anything" devices, as you will eventually find out. You're likely to have problems in the future if you download files as you get files with audio and/or video encoding settings that your TV doesn't like.
    Quote Quote  
  5. both drives have their own power supplies, I am not sure the hard drive speeds but the 2.0 is a 7200.

I am converting the files so I am hoping to minimize the encoding problems.
    Quote Quote