VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello all,
    I have a problem that I have been pulling my hair out all week.

I have a 2.8 GHZ P4 processor running at 1.6GHZ.

I have the following motherboard: Intel® Desktop Board D850EMV2
    It is updated to the latest BIOS: P25

I have the following processor:
    Model: Intel Pentium 4 Northwood
    Operating Frequency: 2.8 GHz
    FSB: 533 MHz
    Cache: L2 512 KB
    Socket: 478 Pin
    Step Code: SL725

My BIOS sees the porcessor as a 1.6GHZ. Windows XP sees it as a 2.8GHZ but is operating at 1.6GHZ speed. All of my drivers and updates are current. i've ran some benchmark tests and it is indeed running at 1.6GHZ.

What could possibly going on here? If you need more info, let me know.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Your problem resides in your BIOS. The default(safety) value for your processor(motherboard) is 1.6Ghz. You need to change the multiplier setting in the BIOS to correspond to the value of processor. If you do not understand how to do this look in your motherboard manual for instructions on your particular BIOS settings.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    BINGO!
    that's it for sure, you need to change the FSB speed in your BIOS
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    "Megalomaniacal, and harder than the rest!"
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply. I thought that was the problem. Now I have a new one for you. In order to get into my bios, I have to hit F2. OK no problem there. When I get into the bios, all of the CPU options are greyed out. I cannot select them!!!
    I can also go into a "maintaince" bios by switching some jumpers. I tried this as well and I get an additional menu with CPU option that are in blue. But I can not select these either. Is there a shortcut that needs to be used to get into these options. Be the way, the multiplier is set at 12X and needs to be changed to 21X.

Thanks again.
    Mako
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    under your PC stats, you just have "Intel" for your motherboard....
    that doesn't help much.
    do you still have the owner's manual for the mobo?
    if not, you can probably download it from the manufacturers web site, but you will have to open your case first to get the model # and revision #.
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    He has Intel® Desktop Board D850EMV2 listed as his board.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    D'OH!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The board model won't help you determine the BIOS version. Run CPU-Z and check out the board report tab for the BIOS version and plenty of other information that'll help. Once we figure out the board model AND the BIOS version you should be able to search the web for the proper way to make changes.
    www.cpuid.com
    FB-DIMM are the real cause of global warming
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok guys (and gals) I figured out my problem. The processor is indeed a 2.8 GHZ. The reason it is running at 1.6 GHZ is because is it in power save mode. I guess it will spool up to higher speeds when needed. it's running slower for longevity. So Intel tells me.
    As for the BIOS, I downloaded a complete manual for it. A lot of the options for configuring CPU, memory, etc are not available on my board.

Next question, is there a test that I can run to make sure it will indeed run up to 2.8 when needed? Something that will put a load on the CPU and them test its speed?

Thanks,
    Mako
    Quote Quote  
  10. You could always set off a video encode then launch CPU-Z to see what speed it reports.
    Quote Quote