VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can use the site with no problem today in Firefox but I can't do anything in IE. The page just sits there with an hour glass and I can't open any pages.

This has happened to me on several occasions. It's like one of your advertisers (or a hacker) is trying to load something on the page but since I use a hosts file to block ads, it just sits there.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Google adsense slow maybe.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    both IE8 and FF3.5 are working properly for me
    try unblocking your ad blocker to see if that's the prob
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    I use only IE8 and have never had a problem.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It seems to be working now.

My football forum is V-Bulletin and they use Google ads also. There are a bunch of threads right now about Google ads and slow downs and freeze ups. I hadn't had any problems there because of the hosts file but I have had problems here.

It may be time to dump IE and just use Firefox for everything or at least sites made for Firefox.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Keep IE around just in case. You may still need it to use some features at some websites, especially Microsoft's.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My IE8 install on my main computer (a laptop I take with me everywhere) is somehow corrupted since January. It randomly won't load sites, including this one. I can't even repair or reinstall IE -- it won't work anymore. IEtab won't work, Avant won't work.

I have to use a different computer entirely to test in IE.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'm using IE7 right now, haven't had a single problem on this site in I don't know how long...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    LS,
    At work we use VirtualPC (from Microsoft) and download an image (also from Microsoft) of XP SP3 with various versions of IE installed on them. We have a Virtual Machine set up for IE6, and another one for IE8, with IE7 installed on the main OS. This way we can use a single computer to test our website in IE6, IE7, and IE8. It would at least save you the hassle of having to use a completely separate computer to test with IE.

CogoSWSDS
    Old ICBM Coordinates: 39 45' 0.0224" N 89 43' 1.7548" W. New coordinates: 39 47' 48.0" N 89 38' 35.7548" W.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, that's a thought.

I had trouble with VPC 2004 and wireless access, but might try VPC 2007. Thing is, when I need to test in a browser, I usually have Photoshop CS3, Firefox and Chrome up (multi tabs each) -- minimum. With only two cores and 2GB of RAM, it's not enough juice to run VPC+XP without nearly halting the system.

Silly as it looks, I may just start traveling with both laptops. Then I could also split heavy Photoshop work away from Firefox resource sharing. I have short x-over CAT5e to link them.

I was actually using IE Collection for 6-8 testing, all in one place. Did not require VMs for multi-IE testing anymore. That came out in 2008, great tool. See http://utilu.com/IECollection/
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I ran superantispyware last night and found the registy fix I had to do to turn off windows security center after the last videohelp attack and three macromedia flash tracking cookies and that's with cookies turned off except for this site and my football forum. Just one more thing I hate about everyone going to flash crap. I've had way more computer problems in the last year watching flash content than I've had in the last 10 years. No wonder that Apple won't let flash near their products.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Cookies are not bad. Not anymore so that HTML or PHP.
    Quote Quote