VideoHelp Forum

Poll: How do you backup your dvds?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I just backup to single layer for all sizes of dvd,dont watch much dvd since i went to avchd/blu-ray.

Thanks to freebird73717 for the poll.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    None. I don't backup.

And I hope you all don't mind that the front page poll has moved down a bit to make room for a gigantic banner.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I do a combination but I always rip to a SL dvd for backup. I've got kids that can wreck a disc in no time and backups have saved me lots of cash and frustration. I've also started encoding some of my favorites to h264 for playback on my HTPC.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    There's a front page?

I backup my BDs to MKV for my server and easier playback over my LAN, and a DL disc for backing the MKV up in case of server crashes. DVDs, usually to SL discs, depending on the running time or how much I like the movie. DL if it's a favorite. But most times I just put the originals on my DVD changer for playback. They don't have to be handled there, so not much risk of damage.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For dvds usually a single layer backup with anydvdhd and dvd shrink. For stuff I don't want to compress I do use dual layer.

For bluray I did try the ripbot mkv route but that is a 16hour journey on my dual core amd. I have since decided for future routes to use my hauppauge hdpvr to dub my blurays with my ps3. Only downside seems to be dts master audio only discs. Those won't get the 5.1 but the dolby discs will. For the dts discs I'll either need to do the full conversion on the pc digitally (not dubbing) or pass on the conversion alltogether.

Actually for the time being most of my bluray purchases have been dvd upgrages so I can always access the easier to backup dvd I already have. I have a handful of newer bluray only movies and those will be more work to backup and convert. But I haven't gotten there yet.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Movie only to a single layer DVD. But I don't back up every movie, in fact I can probably count the number of backups I've made without talking off my shoes.

Originally Posted by Baldrick
    And I hope you all don't mind that the front page poll has moved down a bit to make room for a gigantic banner.
    I don't like it, but it's your site, you're welcome to format it any way you like.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    None. I don't backup.

After the change to the poll being at the bottom i find i can vote again even when i'm logged in,i remember when it was at the top of the page i couldn't vote anymore after casting a vote.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    I rip with AnyDVD HD and if the movie needs only a trivial amount of compression I use DVDShrink. Otherwise I compress with DVDRebuilder Pro.

But I also put some favorite movies on the hard drive for quick access. For those, its movie only, but no compression.

Blu Ray is similar, though using BD Rebuilder. I've made a few backups to dvds, but have switched to 25gb BD-R now.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    None. I don't backup.

It's a pain in the butt being down the bottom. My firewall blocks the ad at the top..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I finally purchased Anydvd hd since dvdfab hd is slowly doing away with freeware. I've backed up most of my dvd collection using dvdrebuilder pro either using single layer or dual layer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's changed over the years. VCD -> SVCD -> SL DVD -> Xvid -> H264.

Once we finally found the magic recipe for our HTPC and implemented a few of them, I went from backing up to SL DVDs to Xvid. Now that x264/H264 is largely stable and Nvidia's VDPAU I back up all new DVDs to H264/mkv with HandBrake.
    Linux _is_ user-friendly. It is not ignorant-friendly and idiot-friendly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Single or dual layer discs - which ever is called for.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Removed.
    Last edited by jeremyofmany; 26th Jul 2013 at 09:48.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    single layer original: rip with dvddecrypter, burn with imgburn
    dual-layer original: see how much content is crap and rip with dvdshrink if possible, then burn with imgburn. if i can't get rid of 'extras', foreign audio etc and make it fit on single layer then i rip & burn to DL.
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    "Megalomaniacal, and harder than the rest!"
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't back up any of my purchased DVDs either. I don't have a reason to. There is nobody that I need to protect them from, I don't play them over and over myself, and I don't own enough of them to want to transfer them to a computer hard drive or media player for convenience.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For me i backup my blu-ray with make mkv to a single mkv for play on my western digital with no loss quality !!! (AND no time to encode) 8) 8) I rip menu and other audio
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Wow. Only 182 votes so far and this poll has been up for 6 days. Even the recent "Off Topic" polls about "how much sleep you need" and "how you heat your house" ended with around 700 to 800 votes. And those had nothing to do with what the site is about. This poll is at least video related. I thought it would get lots more responses and votes.

Wonder if the lack of response is related to the new position of the polls on the front page?.....
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote