VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Minor (and temporary) tangent, perhaps.

Some years ago, I remember seeing ads for a device that would supposedly turn your house's electrical system into an antenna, and "greatly improve your reception." I never did find out if the thing actually worked (or was just another piece of "As Seen On TV" garbage (not saying all of the ASOT items are like that, mind you)).
    But, I did wonder for a moment - if it DID work, what kind of bearing might it have on digital signals.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Ai Haibara View Post
    Minor (and temporary) tangent, perhaps.

Some years ago, I remember seeing ads for a device that would supposedly turn your house's electrical system into an antenna, and "greatly improve your reception." I never did find out if the thing actually worked (or was just another piece of "As Seen On TV" garbage (not saying all of the ASOT items are like that, mind you)).
    But, I did wonder for a moment - if it DID work, what kind of bearing might it have on digital signals.
    I remember those devices, I think Ronco sold them.
    I doubt they worked because the length of the wiring would be too long and non-directional for VHF/UHF, it might work for AM radio though.
    I know phone lines make a great AM antenna, I think it was the green wire.

Ok I've gone way off topic....
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is maybe a bit off topic, but I ordered a CE Labs 6001 amplifier, and have been using it for a week. I'm glad MovieGeek suggested it. (Thanks MovieGeek!) I compared it to the Motorola amplifier in my post, and I thought the noise figure was a bit better, plus the case looked nice and heavy.

It makes a big difference for over-the-air reception with my indoor antenna. I haven't gotten around to trying it with cable yet.
    Quote Quote