VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So I've got about 30-50 DVCam tapes. I don't know squat about this format. They are not mini-DV that much I know. Some are labeled "64 Advanced ME" some "128 Advanced ME". I can send these out for digital conversion, but I thought with this many tapes, it may be worth it to just purchase a used deck. I looked on eBay and it's a little overwhelming and not sure what I need. Some say DVCam and ALSO say Mini-DV. Some seem to have a Firewire port, some don't.

Any advice on how to get the video off of these? Should I just pony up several hundred (to thousands) to convert or can I get by on a $200 used deck? And if so, which model?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The DV format family includes these varieties:

1. Consumer DV, available only in the mini tape size, hence "miniDV", using 25mbps.
    2. Pro DVCam (by Sony), available in mini, std/medium, and large sizes, also @25.
    3. Pro DVCPro (by Panasonic), also in those 3 sizes, also @25.
    4. Pro DVCPro50 (Panny), available in med & lg, @50mbps.
    5. HD Pro DVCProHD, also those 2 sizes, @100mbps.

Note the order.
    Most decks of higher # can read (and sometimes write) lower number format, but not the other way around.
    Since all those higher #s are pro formats & decks, cost of getting them will always be more.
    Then, there are some decks that are more "portable" and so don't support the lg. size. If you don't have any lg tapes, you should be good with most DVCPro or DVCam decks, but ALWAYS check the manual first to ensure compatibility.

Note that this doesn't get into the IMPORTANT issue of PAL vs NTSC tv systems, which the 2 are totally incompatible in their signals and playback electronics, even though the physical data layout formats are identical.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Many Sony MiniDV camcorders will play small DVCAM cassettes. I own the prosumer Sony TRV-900 and it plays them. Also, many Sony NTSC camcorders will play PAL tapes over FireWire.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes, there are exceptions (especially within a single manufacturer’s brand), but in general what I said is true. YMMV, but caveat emptor and always RTFM.

Scott
    Quote Quote