VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have a friend who purchased a DVD in Mexico. Unfortunately, while the region code works here in the states (its region 1 - 6), the video itself is PAL (for whatever reason). He wants to be able to play it on a stand-alone (US) DVD player but obviously it won't play. My question, what is the simplest way to create an NTSC version of the disc which will retain most of the video and audio quality? I have access to computer ripping and burning tools and would like to help him out. The disc will play on my computer (using the MPC-HC player) but that doesn't help him with his desire to use it on a stand-alone player.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by RBTO View Post
    I have a friend who purchased a DVD in Mexico. Unfortunately, while the region code works here in the states (its region 1 - 6), the video itself is PAL (for whatever reason). He wants to be able to play it on a stand-alone (US) DVD player but obviously it won't play. My question, what is the simplest way to create an NTSC version of the disc which will retain most of the video and audio quality? I have access to computer ripping and burning tools and would like to help him out. The disc will play on my computer (using the MPC-HC player) but that doesn't help him with his desire to use it on a stand-alone player.
    The easiest way would be to convert the DVD to an mpg file with VOB2MPG or to an MKV file with MakeMKV, and import that into AVStoDVD. If you set up AVStoDVD to create an NTSC DVD, it can do PAL to NTSC conversions and is able to create a DVD with a simple menu or a menuless DVD. Using DVD 9 as the DVD size when converting a source that is over 4.2 GB in size would allow the best quality, if you have access to Verbatim DVD+R DL discs for burning a DVD. Otherwise, use DVD 5 as the size.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Depends on the player as well. Most modern High Def TVs will accept either PAL or NTSC but you need a region free player. Just bought a Seiki U-Vision 4K player which should future proof things for the near future. The old 8520 code still works so the unit is region free. Might be cheaper in the long run rather than having to do disc conversions...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Thank's usually_quiet and oldfart13. My friend is limited on funds for purchasing a new DVD player. Seems the region isn't the issue since the disc is multi-region 1-6. I've tried the disc on his machine and my own and both refuse to play it. I discovered in AnyDVD (trying to make a copy with the region code removed - that didn't work either) that it was PAL. Kind of strange since Mexico is NTSC but the disc originated in Brazil where PAL is used. Anyway, I'll try usually_quiet's suggestions. Might be a while, but I'll report back what success I have. Thank's again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    PAL in Brazil (as far as anolgue transmission is concerned) is rather odd-ball. it uses NTSC frame rates with PAL color sub-carrier. Otherwise known as PAL-M.

I have received dvds from Brazil and they are for all intents and purposes PAL and play fine on PAL equipment. But if that dvd was recorded from tv it will not play on PAL (or NTSC) systems. Which I found out when my Brazilian-based friend recorded some Carnival for me.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    PAL in Brazil (as far as anolgue transmission is concerned) is rather odd-ball. it uses NTSC frame rates with PAL color sub-carrier. Otherwise known as PAL-M.

I have received dvds from Brazil and they are for all intents and purposes PAL and play fine on PAL equipment. But if that dvd was recorded from tv it will not play on PAL (or NTSC) systems. Which I found out when my Brazilian-based friend recorded some Carnival for me.
    Thank's DB83. That explains it. The disc is a commercial disc and the production company is located in Brazil according to the package. Unfortunately, no PAL disc players, so conversion is my only option for him. Nice to know info.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    The easiest way would be to convert the DVD to an mpg file with VOB2MPG or to an MKV file with MakeMKV, and import that into AVStoDVD. If you set up AVStoDVD to create an NTSC DVD, it can do PAL to NTSC conversions and is able to create a DVD with a simple menu or a menuless DVD. Using DVD 9 as the DVD size when converting a source that is over 4.2 GB in size would allow the best quality, if you have access to Verbatim DVD+R DL discs for burning a DVD. Otherwise, use DVD 5 as the size.
    Thank's for that suggestion usually_quiet.

I used VOB2MPG as you suggested to get the multiplexed PAL mpg file and then authored that to a VIDEO_TS file with AVStoDVD, using NTSC for the target spec, letting it do the format conversion. I'm unfamiliar with both of those programs, but all went well with the default settings and the guides that popped up along the way, and I got a very good conversion. It shows a little pixelation noise (which can be expected), but no judder or jerkyness, and the motion of moving objects is smooth and well preserved. Lip sync is perfect. Also of note, AVStoDVD ran unexpectedly fast. On my laptop it ran just short of real time, about 23 fps on the 25 fps source footage. The conversion (about 90,000 frames) took just little more than an hour. Good programs - both!

The original was a DVD 5 so the result fitted on a single layer disc with room to spare.

My friend will be happy that he can watch his disc (well, actually my disc) on his player now. He speaks fluent Spanish so the language needs no conversion (at least for him).

Great help!
    Last edited by RBTO; 14th May 2016 at 14:42.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Still begs the question for me if the Seiki U-Vision player can real time convert a Pal-M disc into PAL or NTSC. Oh yeah, the player is only $60USD, so it's not expensive at all. If you are on a tight budget, that's probably the way to go but if it's only the one disc, converting using the computer is okay too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have received dvds from Brazil ...
    PAL and NTSC are determined by the analogue part of the player and all the DVD has to contend with is framerate and resolution, among others. If 720x480 is tied to 30fps (detecting which, a DVD player will create an NTSC analogue signal) and 720x576 to 25fps (player outputs PAL), are those DVDs from Brazil therefore 720x576 and 30fps? Haven't deliberately tried, but will a legit authoring program allow me to create such?
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by turk690 View Post
    I have received dvds from Brazil ...
    PAL and NTSC are determined by the analogue part of the player and all the DVD has to contend with is framerate and resolution, among others. If 720x480 is tied to 30fps (detecting which, a DVD player will create an NTSC analogue signal) and 720x576 to 25fps (player outputs PAL), are those DVDs from Brazil therefore 720x576 and 30fps? Haven't deliberately tried, but will a legit authoring program allow me to create such?
    The particular disc my friend has shows up as 720x576 with a 25Hz frame rate. I assume that in the conversion process, every fifth frame is repeated twice to yield the 30Hz rate though I tried watching for any judder in the conversion and couldn't see any. From my understanding of AVStoDVD (and I'm a real newbie at it), it will convert the other way also (from NTSC to PAL), by setting the project format to PAL and choosing NTSC input files (if you need a PAL disc).

That program (AVStoDVD), by the way, was just updated by its author in April 2016.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by oldfart13 View Post
    Still begs the question for me if the Seiki U-Vision player can real time convert a Pal-M disc into PAL or NTSC. Oh yeah, the player is only $60USD, so it's not expensive at all. If you are on a tight budget, that's probably the way to go but if it's only the one disc, converting using the computer is okay too.
    In this case, it's more practical to do the conversion since he only has the one disc that I know of.

Just curious - could you provide a link to that player you described. I'd be interested in looking at its specs. I found several Seiki U-Vision products with Google but not a PAL capable player.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by RBTO View Post
    Originally Posted by oldfart13 View Post
    In this case, it's more practical to do the conversion since he only has the one disc that I know of.

Just curious - could you provide a link to that player you described. I'd be interested in looking at its specs. I found several Seiki U-Vision products with Google but not a PAL capable player.
    I own 2 of those seiki decks, worth it because they can switch region codes on blurays as well. However if funds are limited and if you have any Target stores near by, they sell a Philips dvd player for $30.00 (the dvp2800 deck) which can be made (with the remote it comes with and the code is here at videohelp) region free as well as converting pal to ntsc and vice versa
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Even if someone in the USA wants one, the Seiki U-Vision Blu-Ray Disk Player SR4KP1 is no longer easy to find new at a reasonable price here. Sears is out of new stock. Re-conditioned models are available for about $80 at a few Sears Outlet locations. Other retailers selling this model online are setting their price much higher.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Even if someone in the USA wants one, the Seiki U-Vision Blu-Ray Disk Player SR4KP1 is no longer easy to find new at a reasonable price here. Sears is out of new stock. Re-conditioned models are available for about $80 at a few Sears Outlet locations. Other retailers selling this model online are setting their price much higher.

Easy to find here in Canada:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/seiki-blu-ray-4k-upconvert-0452111p.html#srp
    Quote Quote  
  15. I realize that this is an old thread that has been necro'd for some reason. However, just for the record, I always do PAL to NTSC conversion only as a last resort.

Three much better options:

1. Play the disc in your game console. XBox and most other game consoles will play PAL discs just fine. Modern TV sets have no problem with PAL sizes and frame rates.

2. Play the disc in a laptop connected to your TV set.

3. If your laptop doesn't have a DVD player, then rip the DVD to a single VOB, transfer that to your laptop that is attached to the TV via HDMI, VGA, or whatever your TV and laptop have in common. If you have a TV set that can play directly from a DVD thumb drive, put the VOB on the USB thumb drive, plug it into a spare USB port on your TV, and then play it. Otherwise, play the VOB from your laptop connected to the TV.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    I realize that this is an old thread that has been necro'd for some reason. However, just for the record, I always do PAL to NTSC conversion only as a last resort.

Three much better options:

1. Play the disc in your game console. XBox and most other game consoles will play PAL discs just fine. Modern TV sets have no problem with PAL sizes and frame rates.

2. Play the disc in a laptop connected to your TV set.

3. If your laptop doesn't have a DVD player, then rip the DVD to a single VOB, transfer that to your laptop that is attached to the TV via HDMI, VGA, or whatever your TV and laptop have in common. If you have a TV set that can play directly from a DVD thumb drive, put the VOB on the USB thumb drive, plug it into a spare USB port on your TV, and then play it. Otherwise, play the VOB from your laptop connected to the TV.
    For whatever reason the OP's friend wanted to play the movie using his stand-alone DVD player, which could not play a region-free copy of the DVD.

Maybe the friend doesn't have a game console, or a TV with a built-in media player, or even a laptop or other PC with a connection that can be used with his TV. I am aware of some elderly people who fit that description.
    Quote Quote  
  17. And I always convert PAL to NTSC as a matter of course, even if from a crummy field-blended already NTSC DVD made from a PAL master, just to get the movement back to normal speed and the dialog and songs back to the correct pitch. To each his own.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Maybe the friend doesn't have a game console, or a TV with a built-in media player, or even a laptop or other PC with a connection that can be used with his TV. I am aware of some elderly people who fit that description.
    Youse talkin'about me? ? ?

-c-

(kidding, but fits me to a 'tee'!)
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote