VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Just today all of a sudden instead of audio my headphones started to produce type of a hissing noise instead of sound. I do not have speakers and always listen to music or youtube through headphones.
    I tried another pair of headphones and the noise persisted. The noise also happens when I move the volume slider up or down.

Its a win xp machine. I am not very technical but think there is no sound card and just uses the onboard audio?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Check your audio card settings. Control Panel>Sound. You may also have a specific listing for your audio card there, even if it is on board. I have a VIA chipset manager on this laptop and one of my other PCs has a Realtek chipset audio manager. There should be lots of settings available there. I suspect one of your programs changed the audio output settings.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the welcome. My wish is to have this restored somehow and not having to think of getting a new motherboard.
    I had to put my volume on mute because the noise is pretty bad.

The only things I have listed in my Device Manger Sounds, video are
    Audio Codecs , Legacy Audio Drivers , Legacy Video Capture Devices , Media Control Devices and Video Codecs
    Video Codecs

I dont see Realtek chipset audio manager or anything like that.

Thank you again.
    Quote Quote  
  4. also I tried to restore to the day I know when it was working and unfortunately no change.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try using SIW ... choose the "SIW Without Installer (English-Only)" down below.

Once downloaded, run, then in left column come down to HARDWARE then MOTHERBOARD ... You can simply highlight "motherboard" the right click it and select export > text ... this you can copy the contents and post in reply.

Do the same for "sound device" just below there.

Q: Which ports are you using on the system ... front or back ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. i have downloaded SIW but it would not let me export on the free version. I have the headphones plugged in the back.
    Quote Quote